Saturday in Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

firstposition

Saturday in Leicester

Post by firstposition »

My sons and brothers have planned to visit Leicester for the Saracens game which, when we organised it, was going to be on Saturday. I don't wish to add to the frequent complaints about the change of day/time that appear on this message board, in spite of the inconvenience and cost that this has given rise to. I just want a bit of advice, since none of us has lived in Leicester for a while:
Where are the best places to watch the internationals?
Which are the best curry venues?
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Re: Saturday in Leicester

Post by maroontrunks »

Lilu might be the nicest restaurant in the world, highly recommended for gourmet Indian fusion dining. For a more traditional curry there's many options. I tend to go to O'Neills to watch internationals but not sure why. There's a new pub, Hogarths that is pretty rugby friendly.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Watching the internationals: I would tend to suggest the Slug and Lettuce. Central, big screens, lots of different good beers.

Curry: Kayal on Granby Street (something a bit different, Southern Indian Keralin food)
Paddy's Marten Inn (a bit out of town on Martin Street)
Curry House on London Road (good honest no messing about curry house, pretty central)
Grand Durbar, Melton Road (a bit out of town, but well worth it. The food is magnificent, as is the service. Love it there)
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Hi welcome to the forum, try not to be put off by the 'clever' responses. I would agree that O'Neill's is a safe bet for watching the internationals as there are multiple TV's, beer reasonably priced as well. I think The Globe also shows the games and Duffy's Irish Bar on Pocklingtons Walk but I haven't got first hand experience of either.

For a curry, Kayal's near the station is excellent, it leans towards fish dishes so depends on your preference. Mem-Saab in Highcross is also good but not cheap. To be honest I haven't really had a bad curry in Leicester, if you go by your instincts and the place looks ok it probably is. There are a number on London Road just past the station that give you a choice in a smallish area.

Hope that helps, enjoy your weekend.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
firstposition

Post by firstposition »

Thanks to all of the very helpful responses so far. We're really looking forward to the weekend and (apart from one son who supports Saracens - not sure where I went wrong) hoping for a great match and a significant Tigers victory.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Google the unofficial Tigers site - on the home page is a 'sticky' entitled 'A Visitor's Guide to Leicester' that details numerous pubs and places to eat, as recommended by the locals. (And for what it's worth, I'd head for Kayal - I love it there).
Let's hope you are celebrating, not drowning your sorrows.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Granby wrote:Google the unofficial Tigers site - on the home page is a 'sticky' entitled 'A Visitor's Guide to Leicester' that details numerous pubs and places to eat, as recommended by the locals. (And for what it's worth, I'd head for Kayal - I love it there).
Let's hope you are celebrating, not drowning your sorrows.
Link

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s103/st178484.htm
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Thank you, Sir. :smt023
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

:smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Unfortunately he who pays the piper calls the tune, so in these days of TV sponsorship we seem to have very little control on when we play. A friend of mine travels all the way from Edinburgh for each match and I know that he would dearly love it if we could revert back to Saturday only Kick offs.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Noddy, I am surprised your response has lasted this long. I posted a comment and it was deleted as I didn't offer any advice on the question that was asked and I said that the opening post was actually complaining about the game being moved as they had mentioned it. It's a bit confusing actually as the title is called Saturday in Leicester, then the post starts by saying they are not moaning about the game being moved before actually asking where to eat when they go to the match, which is actually on Sunday!

I expect this will also be removed too.

PS. I recommend eating at Wetherspoons in the city centre.
firstposition

Post by firstposition »

Sorry to have confused you ellis9.
firstposition

Post by firstposition »

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. We watched the internationals at the Barley Mow and Slug and Lettuce and had a lovely meal at Kayal on Saturday and the game and result on Sunday made it a great weekend.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Hey Guys, we've got two Saturday kick offs in April against Gloucester on the 2nd and Worcester on the 30th. One begs to ask the question are these matches being featured on BT? Probably not.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy.... I do wonder if you ever read the contents of threads. This was never about Saturday/Sunday kick offs.

But since you ask, Gloucester is on BT and Worcester isn't. It took me literally thirty seconds to find out from this very website.