Re: Seru Rabeni RIP

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

Very very sad loved to see him play. RIP Seru :smt010
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

As several have said before, this is such sad news to wake up to. A delightful player to watch as a fan but must have been a nightmare to play against. Hopefully he gets a fitting tribute on Sunday at the game against Sarries and the guys pull out a performance befitting such a memorable Tiger. RIP Seru and condolences to his family - forever in our thoughts
gamebird

Post by gamebird »

Very sad he gave us Tigers some great moments I wouldn't have wanted to stand in front of him. Yet off the field he was such a nice man. My thoughts are with his family
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There is bound to be a minute's silence on Sunday I'm quite sure. I have decided as a tribute to get a Fijian flag and hold it up during the silence to show my support.

I would like to invite anyone else who would also like to do so to join me in doing so. I've found one for just a fiver on Ebay that you can collect for free at your local Argos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIJI-FIJIAN-F ... J_3rTSlpQA

Please don't feel obliged, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do.

(I realise it says there is a chance it won't arrive until Monday but I'm happy to take the chance. Often these things arrive ahead of schedule)
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

RIP Seru. Great player and will always be a Tiger. 37 is far too young to die.

Great idea Iain, I won't be at the match but hopefully a few others hold up a flag in his honor.
Kjay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Kjay »

Really sad news, 37 is no age. A great player for Tigers, so enjoyed watching him play. So skilful and played with a smile on his face.
Thoughts are with his family.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Terrible news. He didn't just play for Tigers, he was a Tiger and a nice guy too. My thoughts and best wishes go to his family, robbed of their father and husband far too early in life.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Such sad news to of the passing Seru Rabeni one of the true greats to have played for our club & a true gent of the field.
My condolences go to his wife, children & family, Will be in all the Tigers family thoughts this coming sunday R.I.P Seru
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I've just had this reply from Gary Sherrard about Sunday, having asked what the club would be doing:

We are aiming to put together a tribute for the big screen and there will be a Minute’s Applause ahead of kick-off. I am also putting together a tribute for the match programme.

Gary
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Donny
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Donny »

Personally, I prefer a minute of silence and that's what I'll be doing as I won't be able to hold up my Fijian flag and clap at the same time.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It occurs to me that Marcos Ayerza, Jordan Crane and Matt Smith will have been club team mates and Seremaia Bai will have been an international team mate too. Plus Aaron Mauger and Geordan Murphy will have been team mates and Cockers coached him. It will be an emotional day for all of them on Sunday I'm sure.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Club statement:
Former Leicester Tigers centre Seru Rabeni has died at the age of 37, Fijian media reported on Tuesday morning.
Tweet
The Fiji Broadcasting Corporation and Fijivillage.com reported that he passed away at his home in Fiji. He is survived by his wife and two young children.

There will be a minute's applause to mark his passing at Tigers' Aviva Premiership home game against Saracens at Welford Road this Sunday (3.15pm).

Rabeni made his Tigers debut in 2004 and went on to make 63 first-team appearances, scoring 18 tries.

A powerful wing or centre and a star of Fiji's Rugby World Cup campaign in 2007, playing in five of their six matches, Rabeni played a major role Tigers' league and cup double win of 2006/07, especially in the Premiership Final win over Gloucester and in a try-scoring appearance in the European Cup quarter-final win over Stade Francais at Welford Road that season. He was also a Premiership title winner with Leicester in 2008/09.

He made his Tigers debut against Sale Sharks in September 2004 and scored tries in each of his first three games, and eight in his first 10.

Leicester Tigers chairman Peter Tom said: "It is really sad news and the thoughts of everyone at the Tigers are with his family, friends and Fiji rugby.

"Seru was a wonderful rugby player and a wonderful man. He was hugely popular with the players, the staff and the supporters at Welford Road.

"He played the game with a smile and brought a huge amount of pleasure not just to the supporters of the Tigers but to supporters of world rugby. He will be sadly missed."

Tigers chief executive Simon Cohen added: "Seru was a lovely, lovely man. He was extremely friendly, very popular among all the players and the staff.

"He always had a smile on his face. He always made light of even difficult situations. He generally brought warmth to the training ground and the whole of Welford Road.

"He was a fantastic player. He had the amazing combination of guile, a quick step and huge physicality. Those who saw the 2007 Premiership Final will never forget his performance that day."

Director of rugby Richard Cockerill said: "He was a fantastic player, a fantastic winger and centre. He had great pace and power, was unpredictable, skilful and could score a try from anywhere.

"He was a lovely man, very kind and generous. It is such sad news at such a young age. The news has shocked and surprised everybody at the Tigers."

Working as a teacher in Fiji, Rabeni played club rugby with Lautoka and Suva, and went to his first Rugby World Cup in 2003. He played Super Rugby for Otago Highlanders in 2003 and '04 before moving to Tigers.

Rabeni won 30 caps for Fiji and nine for the combined Pacific Islanders team. After leaving Leicester, he had spells with Leeds in the Premiership and with French clubs La Rochelle and Mont-de-Marsan before beginning a coaching career which included spells in the USA and Hong Kong, and represented the Barbarians in 2011.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RIP. What sad news

I too would prefer a silence; minutes applause can about from football fans who were to I'll disciplined to be able to show the appropriate respect.

Either way, it removes the debate of which shirt to wear on Sunday: Fiji it is.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'd prefer a silence too, but it's not an argument I'm prepared to have. Either way it will be a warm tribute to a very popular player and man from our all too recent history.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

So sad for his rugby family and friends, of course - but a tragedy for his young children and those who loved him. Can't be at the game but will be thinking of him. RIP Rambo.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives