Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player? No Sanction

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player?

Post by L Smith »

welshy08 wrote:Tend to think if Samson Lee was a Jew and Marler called him "Jew Boy", there would be serious consequences.
As Gypsies are an official race...racism is racism and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Also England should be docked the game.

They have to learn to behave themselves and learn not be racists on a rugby pitch.

This is the sort of punishment we need to dish out for this offence.
You, sir, are a wonderful ambassador for your country. Grow up, accept defeat & go get some counselling; it's just not healthy, being this way.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Calling yourself welshy, are you not racially abusing yourself? :smt005
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Just returned from a lengthy Sunday lunchtime in The Unicorn and saw the feed on BBC and read my way through this thread.
It's clearly the Whimpering Generation in full flow...........can't even stand up to a bit of name calling.
Is this where we have got to? To paraphrase another poster......sticks and stones will be sorted by the TMO but words will make me call my Mum.
I don't know who reported Marler but , whoever you are, you are pathetic . All you needed to do was to return the compliment ("Marler, you fat prat "would do just fine) and get on with it.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

welshy08 wrote:Tend to think if Samson Lee was a Jew and Marler called him "Jew Boy", there would be serious consequences.
As Gypsies are an official race...racism is racism and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

They have to learn to behave themselves and not be racists on a rugby pitch.
Docked the game? Get real. Sanction the player - yes but don't get go over the top and get emotional about it. There isn't any precedent in any event. Perspective please.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

by all accounts he apologised at half time and it was accepted

expect 4 week ban for racial abuse
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I haven't read the red-tops today but presumably, one of them has led with "Big Fat Gipsy Sledging"
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

That is genius! :smt023 :smt038 :smt044
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Ha ha - so the Welsh are upset are they boyo - we should get a bonus point for that?

By the way I actually admire Welsh Rugby, they have a proud tradition but some of their so called fans are a pain in the proverbial.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

By the way whomever wrote the article needs to sign up for English classes sharpish - see below.

"Marler has since apologised to Lee and has been spoken to be England boss Eddie Jones."
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Donny
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Donny »

It surprises me any of you are taking the opening comment seriously. However, if it was meant in earnest, I have to ask if Welshy08 is really Jonathan Davies in disguise?

Did any of you catch his drivel before the Scotland v France match yesterday? John Inverdale, Jerry Guscott, Andy Nicol and the idiot Davies were talking about the apparent gouging on Dan Cole by Tomas Francis. Davies actually tried to use the excuse Francis 'had his eyes closed' at the time! Then, when Nicol suggested it could be a long ban for Francis due to Chris Ashton getting 10 weeks for what appeared to be a lesser infringement, Davies claimed Ashton's case has set a precedent and it'll be due to him if Francis gets 12 or more weeks! The conversation then changed to the incident of Marler and his forearm smash on Rob Evans. Immediately, Davies was calling for a citing and wouldn't accept anything else.

This attitude is sadly typical of too many Welsh supporters. They're quite happy whilst things are going their way but, as soon as something goes wrong, they cannot handle it. They go into their 'persecuted minority' mode and blame everything on the arrogant and overbearing English. I used to think the Aussies were the worst losers but they're novices compared to the Welsh when they don't get their own way.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If Samson Lee had called Joe Marler a fat English :censored: (and I'm sure he's been called worse!), would there have been the same brouhaha?
No?
This has been blown out of all proportion and should be forgotten.
I bet the two of them were laughing about it over a beer or three in the evening!
Semper in excretia
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

By definition was a racist comment- Accepted.
Marler is Gobby by nature, its his game to wind up. Over stepped the mark on this occasion.
Lets not get OTT.
Sanction Marler 2 game ban. OK
Its O.K to get punchy and have handbag hissifit, That's manning up??
But don't call me something I'm not????Rude
Typical Welsh attitude ( not racist comment)trying to get the England win overturned when his Welsh team never turned up to play in first half.
Didnt mention the yellow/red for gouging against Cole which would have seen his team down to 14.
Perspective please..
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Agreed

Agreed to a point. He certainly should be punished within the laws of the game. Prosecuted though...?

Stop being absurd!

They have to learn to behave themselves and learn not be racists on a rugby pitch.

This is an isolated incident

This is the sort of punishment we need to dish out for this offence.

Racism is abhorrent, but let's not go over the top hey?
Marler's been ignorant. He perhaps doesn't see it as offensive as Lee does, but he's learning the hard way now.

He'll rightly get a four week ban.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Marler's been ignorant. He perhaps doesn't see it as offensive as Lee does, but he's learning the hard way now.

He'll rightly get a four week ban.
I expect you are correct Iain.
Marler will likely be punished for the example it sets as much as the offence itself.
It's not Marler's fault that people are prepared to take these sort of insults to an inappropriate level but as you say he was ignorant.
Cheery chappy
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I think it is one of those areas where the RFU will have to adopt a zero tolerance approach.

Marler has apologised but the problem is that while his apology seems genuine, you can't given anyone an opt out clause. So I can see him getting the 4 weeks.