Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player? No Sanction

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Job Marler racially abusing a Welsh player?

Post by jgriffin »

Please stop the 'politically correct' carp folks, it's the last refuge of people who don't want to think.
In reality, Lee would have been called far, far worse than that on a pitch many times. Marler is a prat - a well known state of affairs - and deserves an admonition as he apologised at halftime, seemingly spontaneously. End of. If Lee did not accept the apology, he is diminished within the spirit of rugby.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Donny
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Donny »

jgriffin wrote:Please stop the 'politically correct' carp folks, it's the last refuge of people who don't want to think. In reality, Lee would have been called far, far worse than that on a pitch many times. Marler is a prat - a well known state of affairs - and deserves an admonition as he apologised at halftime, seemingly spontaneously. End of. If Lee did not accept the apology, he is diminished within the spirit of rugby.
Summed up perfectly in a nutshell.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester born and bred , all my life someone has found this a reason for "so called abuse". I've received far worse when playing rugby in Wales and try living in Scotland as I do, especially the week before the Calcutta Cup. I give as good as I get and get on with life and tend not to give too much credence to the political correctness that is now a disease in this society. Cricketers say far worse, ask anyone who's played against Australia.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigercaspian wrote:Does anyone actually know if Mr Lee comes from a gypsy family? Haven't seen this anywhere from anyone?

I absolutely do not see any comparison between the gypsy community and other disadvantaged or minority groups: certainly no comparison with apartheid!

I well recall the devastation served by the gypsy community on Napton on the Hill in the late 90s, on the old railway line at Gt Oxendon about 3 years later and the complete destruction of a static camp near Wing, Leighton Buzzard about 4 years ago - that cost Aylesbury council £500,000. Not to mention the regular police raids over the years at the static camp at Harborough (opposite the rugby club!)......they get no sympathy from me as wherever they move in the only seem to leave damage, thieving, filth, and a massive clean-up bill.
He is of roma stock, widely reported and says that himself.

You should look into the historical persecution of the roma, particularly during the holocaust. Estimates vary wildly due to lack of accurate information prior to world war two, but estimates range from 250,000 to 1.5 million killed. Some of the ethnic cleansing was so complete that entire languages were wiped out.

Fair play to Marler for realising he was out of line and apologising during the game, plenty of us will have realised we were out of order and apologised for something in the bar after a game, but to be self aware enough to do it during a game is unusual.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Donny wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Please stop the 'politically correct' carp folks, it's the last refuge of people who don't want to think. In reality, Lee would have been called far, far worse than that on a pitch many times. Marler is a prat - a well known state of affairs - and deserves an admonition as he apologised at halftime, seemingly spontaneously. End of. If Lee did not accept the apology, he is diminished within the spirit of rugby.
Summed up perfectly in a nutshell.
+1 and Tigerburnie makes a very good point about cricketers sledging.
From what I've heard, to be called "Gypsy boy" by for example, the Aussies, would mean you've got away extremely lightly....so how come the cricketers can get away with far worse and Marler (who apologised at half time) is subject to such PC garbage?!
Soggypitch
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

The ban and punishment shouldn't be just for the effect on Samson, it should be to demonstrate to millions of people listening that the language is inappropriate.

I think a society where no offensive race/minority remarks are made is crucial to remove any "sub-conscious bias" that people make in employment and social situations.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:I think a lot of people are missing the point here.

The ban and punishment shouldn't be just for the effect on Samson, it should be to demonstrate to millions of people listening that the language is inappropriate.

I think a society where no offensive race/minority remarks are made is crucial to remove any "sub-conscious bias" that people make in employment and social situations.
Never mind Marler and Lee, would you like to start a little closer to home?
http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... =1&t=40131
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

The man as not been charged near mind found guilty of this crime as yet. You have him guilty because you and only have appointed yourself to the higher moral ground. Prey tell us who is next up against the wall because of your self appointment. T----r.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I really don't understand all the fuss. People are so easily offended these days. I know for sure we have all been called worse during our lives.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

jonlin wrote:The man as not been charged near mind found guilty of this crime as yet. You have him guilty because you and only have appointed yourself to the higher moral ground. Prey tell us who is next up against the wall because of your self appointment. T----r.
He has been cited - that the same as being charged.

As for guilt - admittance & apology is usually an indicator :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Cited for striking afik
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

TiB, Biffer, thanks for the clarification.

I still cannot accept that a bit of name calling is remotely the same as the slaughter of the romas and the injustices of apartheid.

Still it could be worse: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... party.html
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

jonlin wrote:

The man as not been charged near mind found guilty of this crime as yet. You have him guilty because you and only have appointed yourself to the higher moral ground. Prey tell us who is next up against the wall because of your self appointment. T----r.
He's said he did it himself. Hardly needs a forensic examination to determine if it's true. Unless you're saying Marler has some kind of desire to be seen as someone who mistakenly hands out racist / ethnic abuse and then apologises for it.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigercaspian wrote:TiB, Biffer, thanks for the clarification.

I still cannot accept that a bit of name calling is remotely the same as the slaughter of the romas and the injustices of apartheid.

Still it could be worse: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... party.html
It's a thin end of the wedge argument - if a group of people can be verbally abused for an ethnic, racial or other physical feature, then it becomes societally acceptable to belittle them, that can lead to using stereotypes to consciously or unconsciously discriminate, verbal abuse can easily morph into mental abuse, a situation can arise where the occasional bit of physical abuse happens, that grows, and before you know it you're invading Poland.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

biffer wrote:
jonlin wrote:

He's said he did it himself. Hardly needs a forensic examination to determine if it's true. Unless you're saying Marler has some kind of desire to be seen as someone who mistakenly hands out racist / ethnic abuse and then apologises for it.
I don't think anybody is saying he didn't say it. The apology was almost certainly on instruction. The question is motive and impact.

There has been the same or 'worse' on this board including from those who are apparently up in arms over Marler's words. That would make them hypocrites in addition to being just as guilty of racism or bigotry or whatever fanciful charge they want to associate with Marler.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game