Harry Thacker

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Harry Thacker

Post by The Boy Dave »

I fear the issue is that Cockers was a "small" hooker and we are in an era of large hookers and he struggles to accept that. Perhaps his replacement for England being Steve Thompson might be a factor?
I agree, and there does appear to be an element of stobborness to the detriment of the player and the team.
We all have our own opinions on players and positions.
Coaches are not automatically all knowing rugby god's as people and they themselves often make out, sometimes being outside the box helps you think outside the box!
Harry Thacker could be a potential world class 12 IMO, a haircut and lose the hat with the defensive ability of Brad Barritt, what a defensive linchpin he could be with that rugby brain and pace, and with the attacking skill and agility of Kyle Eastmond.
Placing him at hooker has been very short sighted!
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheery chappy
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Did I imagine reading that he actually played as a 10 as a teenager? Or was that actually the case?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Did I imagine reading that he actually played as a 10 as a teenager? Or was that actually the case?
Yes I believe so.
Picture him at 12 with that game, what a player he could be, like a young Matt Toomua, a couple of years around Toomua and Manu coached by Mauger he could be absolutely world class.
Cheery chappy
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Plenty of armchair coaching going on...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think you might need to take another look at his tackling, I can recall him being run over at least twice in the game, the first was when Piteau scored the first try.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I think you might need to take another look at his tackling, I can recall him being run over at least twice in the game, the first was when Piteau scored the first try.
I am talking about potential, not the finished article.
See the try making hit on Steenson against the Chiefs, the line speed and timing with physicality to be competitve in defence and attack in the position is present.
More important position 12 than most realise, often sets the tone.
Cheery chappy
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

The Boy Dave wrote:
I am talking about potential, not the finished article.
See the try making hit on Steenson against the Chiefs, the line speed and timing with physicality to be competitve in defence and attack in the position is present.
More important position 12 than most realise, often sets the tone.
I think very ironic that people on this forum are so desperate to shoe horn Harry Thacker into the team and yet they demonised Bath and England for doing it with Burgess :smt012 :smt012 :smt012

And we are comparing a 5ft 8 4th choice hooker vs a 6ft 5 best rugby league player in the world.

Harry Thacker will never be good enough to a Premiership starter in any position. Cameo sub at best. Focus resources and time elsewhere
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Why would RC want to turn Harry into a 12 when he has the England 12, the South African 12 and the Australian 12 on his way :smt017

I still think his best position would be at 7.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Will S
Why would RC want to turn Harry into a 12 when he has the England 12, the South African 12 and the Australian 12 on his way
Yet none are available this weekend, nor were they available last weekend.
One will be gone next season, one will be away occasionally or playing at 13 and one may play at 10 occasionally.
darganj
I think very ironic that people on this forum are so desperate to shoe horn Harry Thacker into the team and yet they demonised Bath and England for doing it with Burgess

And we are comparing a 5ft 8 4th choice hooker vs a 6ft 5 best rugby league player in the world.

Harry Thacker will never be good enough to a Premiership starter in any position. Cameo sub at best. Focus resources and time elsewhere
Unfair to compare a player brought in from another code straight into international rugby for huge sums of money and straight into a world cup squad with his position still in doubt between his club and international sides with a very young bloke trying to find his place at the beginning of a career.
Actually it's more than unfair, it's downright cruel!
Cheery chappy
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

That last comment from TBD is hypocritical. He has laid into young players in the past.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

That last comment from TBD is hypocritical. He has laid into young players in the past.
Yes cr@p players!
Cheery chappy
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Yes cr@p players!
In your opinion. And not shared by some on this forum.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

In your opinion. And not shared by some on this forum.
I can assure you, it's a big relief to me that my opinions are not shared by all on this forum!
Cheery chappy
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Yes cr@p players!
Can it really be fair to describe players who have made it to the Tigers ranks like this? You should take your abusive comments back to your playground.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Can it really be fair to describe players who have made it to the Tigers ranks like this? You should take your abusive comments back to your playground.
Apologies, it wasn't very PC, should've used "of limited ability" for the more sensitive, Job Marler has been a bad influence.
:smt003
Cheery chappy