BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BIttySmalls

BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Post by BIttySmalls »

I think I may have calmed down a little since yesterday however it would be interesting to know if anyone else was fuming at the post match coverage? We had just beaten the 2nd placed side with a TBP and they only wanted to discuss how hard done by Exeter were.

Then to read this drivel just added to frustration:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 15906.html

Like most supporters I wear Tigers tinted spectacles from time to time however (and I don't like using the term) a media bias against us really does seem to be happening.

I don't know, maybe I am overreacting after the frustration of letting them back into it yesterday.
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Post by Jon »

I have started to feel that about the BT Sport team in recent weeks. They seem to always concentrate on the opposition, and never on too many positives from us. Ah well...
Cracking game yesterday though!
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Yep.

I usually really like BT Sport coverage which I think in general has been good for Rugby, however yesterday just seemed very odd, firing loaded questions at Baxter to get him to blame the ref for their loss.

Agree about the game.

Onwards and upwards.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Typical BT Sport two of their top men in the television side of BT hale from the West Country need I say more.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

At the match I thought we were very fortunate with the Burns deliberate knock on in particular, it denied a scoring opportunity from close range.
I also thought Fitzgerald might have been fortunate but wasn't so sure in all the mess going on around that maul but I've watched it this morning and think we were very fortunate, more so because the TMO tries to advise Carley that it's the same as the penalty try in the first half as Exeter would've scored with the momentum they had and Carley ignores him, I knew something was going on at the match but didn't know exactly what and thought they had found something genuine to discard it, not so.
Taking off my Tigers goggles it was a little odd!
Cheery chappy
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The Boy Dave wrote:At the match I thought we were very fortunate with the Burns deliberate knock on in particular, it denied a scoring opportunity from close range.
I heard that the ref had blown for offside before Burns deliberate knock on/down. If that's the case, the ref should be criticised for blowing too early but Burns is in the clear!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Just as it would have been difficult to mount a case on behalf of Tuilagi had he been penalised for two sickeningly heavy tackles: the first on the visiting full-back Phil Dollman, the second on the lock Geoff Parling – an old colleague of his at both club and international levels. Neither hit was high, strictly speaking, and neither appeared to be late. But it was a moot point whether the spherical midfielder used his arms in the way the law demands; if he continues in this vein he will cause some poor soul a serious mischief.
That's a fascinating little segment.

Apparently it would have been difficult to mount a case on behalf of Tuilagi for a couple of hits that were not high, nor late, and did involve use of the arms.

So it would be difficult to mount a defence of Tuilagi for making a couple of perfectly legal tackles?

Not THAT difficult, surely....?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

strawclearer wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:At the match I thought we were very fortunate with the Burns deliberate knock on in particular, it denied a scoring opportunity from close range.
I heard that the ref had blown for offside before Burns deliberate knock on/down. If that's the case, the ref should be criticised for blowing too early but Burns is in the clear!
That's the only thing that could have saved Burns, it was a definite yellow otherwise.

I don't care about the perceived anti Leicester bias, we just need to keep winning and playing like we did for the first 60 mins (this week and last week), and we'll soon have them back onside!
Soggypitch
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

At the match I thought we were very fortunate with the Burns deliberate knock on in particular, it denied a scoring opportunity from close range.

That's the only thing that could have saved Burns, it was a definite yellow otherwise.

I don't care about the perceived anti Leicester bias, we just need to keep winning and playing like we did for the first 60 mins (this week and last week), and we'll soon have them back onside!
No the ref didn't blow before the knock on but he was playing an advantage to Exeter for the offside, my reaction was Burns is going for that but he didn't.
I expect it'll even itself out at some point, I only hope it's not quite on that level or even more crucial, it must sting a bit!
Cheery chappy
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I Should have listened to the post match reporting on B.T,
I didn't .
IMO As far as BT PUNDITRY goes:-
Dayglo hasn't got a brain of his own and just regurgitates what others say seemingly sounding important.
Mr Kay tries to be impartial.
Mr ( I wish I'd never won all those titles with Tigers)Rug top, is always obnoxious and anti Tigers.
I rate Sarah and Bays.
IMO with BT Rugby takes second place to Football. An hour of punditry prior and cutting into scheduled Rugby timing post game.
This happens across all Prem rugby games.

Just makes the BP WIN all the more to savour. We are the team all Prem Clubs target as a bench mark for their season. Now so BT.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

4071 wrote:
Just as it would have been difficult to mount a case on behalf of Tuilagi had he been penalised for two sickeningly heavy tackles: the first on the visiting full-back Phil Dollman, the second on the lock Geoff Parling – an old colleague of his at both club and international levels. Neither hit was high, strictly speaking, and neither appeared to be late. But it was a moot point whether the spherical midfielder used his arms in the way the law demands; if he continues in this vein he will cause some poor soul a serious mischief.
That's a fascinating little segment.

Apparently it would have been difficult to mount a case on behalf of Tuilagi for a couple of hits that were not high, nor late, and did involve use of the arms.

So it would be difficult to mount a defence of Tuilagi for making a couple of perfectly legal tackles?

Not THAT difficult, surely....?
I thought that the "tackle" on Dollman was much nearer a shoulder charge with little or no wrapping of the arms. This was both at the ground and when watching it on TV. The ex-club captain sat next to me agreed. However, the officials did nothing and nothing was said in the commentary, so maybe I need new glasses :smt003
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Just had a thought/. What do you think the main topic of BT THE RUGBY CLUB @ 20.00 tonight will be about.

Let me think.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

There does seem to be some anti-Tigers sentiment around, which is a shame as that takes away from what was a decent game.

Bt give the mike to Rob Baxter during the game; he gets a dig in about the ref not giving stuff to them. Nothing from Tigers - no balance there

The Freddie Burns knock on incident - penalty given for an earlier infringement.No yellow card for Freddie.Cries of derision from Healey and co.
Earlier in the game, I think it was Jess who got pinged for a deliberate knock on - penalty awarded, no yellow card. Nothing from Healey and co about a card. Okay, it was not as close to the line, but it was the same offence.

Generally, I like Ben Kay's insightful commentary, but Healey has become increasingly irksome.

More worrying for me was the TMO in the Fitzgerald incident. The ref asked help with the grounding - 'try or no try'. After this was declared inconclusive the TMO suggests to the ref that he might want to look at offside, and he repeats exactly what Kay, Healey and co had been saying about Fitzgerald. It almost seemed like the game was being referreed by the commentary team.
The role and scope of the TMO needs to be clarified, and then applied consistently. Should we now expect TMOs to be suggesting that the ref look at everything that goes on when a referral is made, even if he is not directly asked to do so? I hope not, but it does need to have a consistency.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Was Burns knock on a deliberate one though? It looked to me as if he stuck out a hand to intercept the pass and not move his hand in the motion of knocking the ball down. Hope that makes sense.

I think it is stupid to penalise someone trying to intercept the ball genuinely. If someone moves their hand in a way where they are actually pushing the ball down or forward etc then yes, that's deliberate and cynical.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Was Burns knock on a deliberate one though? It looked to me as if he stuck out a hand to intercept the pass and not move his hand in the motion of knocking the ball down. Hope that makes sense.

I think it is stupid to penalise someone trying to intercept the ball genuinely. If someone moves their hand in a way where they are actually pushing the ball down or forward etc then yes, that's deliberate and cynical.
It was about as deliberate a knock on as you will ever see and one we got away with. :smt003
It's a case of catch it or knock on, Burns was never catching that!
It denied Exeter a try scoring opportunity. :smt003
Cheery chappy