Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: BT Sport / Independent- Post Match

Post by G.K »

I'm sure I'll get some stick from those with the green bottleneck glasses but:

1. I felt Burns was a yellow and maybe a penalty try (haven't watched it back to check if there was any cover to stop the try).

2. Don't think Jess was a yellow card, seemed a fair challenge to me and he was committed, Burns just landed awkwardly.

Having said that we were shafted at the scrum, the Exeter loose head was breaking his bind and turning in on just about ever scrum. This was particularly evident when Balmain was on, their sub prop No 17 never scrummaged legally once. Balmain however needs to learn rapidly how to cope with this.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

There's no problem in having an opinion that's what forums are for. The problem is some people seem unable to voice their opinion without attempting to belittle those with a different view.

I've watched the incident and I think Jess was fortunate not to get a red, despite being told I'm wrong and having the rules quoted at me! For me all the criteria that constitute a red were met but it was a yellow because that's what the officials decided. On another day with a different set of officials it could have been a different outcome.

We all know it's a difficult game to referee and shouldn't be surprised when people express different interpretations of decisions given the fine lines involved and just to prove I don't go round with 'green bottlenecked glasses' I think Manu was also fortunate not to get pulled up for a couple of 'armless' tackles, and no I haven't forgotten the 'h'.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

G.K wrote:I'm sure I'll get some stick from those with the green bottleneck glasses but:

1. I felt Burns was a yellow and maybe a penalty try (haven't watched it back to check if there was any cover to stop the try).

2. Don't think Jess was a yellow card, seemed a fair challenge to me and he was committed, Burns just landed awkwardly.

Having said that we were shafted at the scrum, the Exeter loose head was breaking his bind and turning in on just about ever scrum. This was particularly evident when Balmain was on, their sub prop No 17 never scrummaged legally once. Balmain however needs to learn rapidly how to cope with this.
I agree with you.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perfectly legal.
Both tackles used the arms and were below the shoulders.

Glad I wasn't on the receiving end but these are fair tackles. At full speed one initially looked like a swing arm around the neck (and that was right in from of me) yet the replay shows it well below the shoulders and it was simply the force that made it look bad.

As for the yellow card their player wasn't competing for the ball in the air yet put himself in the way of Burns' landing. Could have pulled out but didn't.
Lucky to get away with a yellow under the current laws.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Having watched the match back last night you can clearly hear Carley say "lands on his shoulder so a yellow", yet assuming the laws as posted earlier are correctly quoted, all the criteria for a red were met. There was no competition for the ball, he puts his hands on Burns in a way which causes him to tip forward, from a fair height (although there's certainly no drive down). My guess is that its a case of how much apparent harm was done influencing the ref - as Austin says in commentary Burns gets credit in my book for not over-reacting, but that shouldnt influence the decision.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

So there we go, no surprise at the number of divided opinions. Right up there with KO times and shirt designs!

Vive la difference!!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

The independent journo is out of work at the end of the month.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Why is it obvious in the highlights that the Burns deliberate knock on was after Carley had awarded a penalty, which he subsequently gave correctly? Exactly the same situation as killing the ball in a ruck after a penalty advantage. First offence. Or have the laws altered?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Isambard wrote:The independent journo is out of work at the end of the month.
Arent they just stopping their print run and going 'online only'? Are they stopping their sports/rugby coverage too?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I used to take the Independent when it first came out as it lived up to it's name.
Unfortunately it slowly became more like the Guardian and with the same political slant.
A life long Tiger
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Smudge wrote:I used to take the Independent when it first came out as it lived up to it's name.
Unfortunately it slowly became more like the Guardian and with the same political slant.
Still the most balanced paper around (rugby commentary excepted) and I will be sorry to see it go. I believe they are still going to print 'I'.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Noggs wrote:
Smudge wrote:I used to take the Independent when it first came out as it lived up to it's name.
Still the most balanced paper around (rugby commentary excepted) and I will be sorry to see it go. I believe they are still going to print 'I'.
the I has been bought by Johnstone's press, the Independent will be a totally online institution and have no connection to the I Daily going forward