Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Team vs Exeter

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote:
Big Dai wrote: I think there's an overriding sympathy from BT sport for Chiefs and we cheated our way to a win again?

Makes me a bit disgruntled.
On the contrary, I'm delighted if Dayglo is upset!

Great 5 points; great 60 minutes; Thacker only gets away with it at hooker if he has 2 great props either side - he simply has to convert to 7; Carley deserves the freedom of the city; can't wait for next week!

Hope we keep Manu - can't put him to England for 20 minutes just in case a first minute injury requires him to do 79!
Thacker did fine right up to the point Brugnara came on. Then the scrum fell apart. Even when Mulipola and VV were on we still went backwards. Sod all to do with Thacker our scrum suffered because our 5th choice loosehead was on the field.

The Fitz decision Carley reviews and seems to decide he's bound at the ruck when the ball is lifted out and so not offside. For Burns, Carley clearly blows the whistle just before the deliberate knock on to ping for offside. Hence Freddie not being carded.

Shame Dayglo felt the need to listen to his own voice for five minutes than actually offer any game analysis. It was an entertaining game.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

did fine right up to the point Brugnara came on. Then the scrum fell apart. Even when Mulipola and VV were on we still went backwards. Sod all to do with Thacker our scrum suffered because our 5th choice loosehead was on the field.
Actually that is wrong, the final scrum was competitive.
Cheery chappy
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well after Tigers got the 5 points they were pretty hopeless - a real drop off in intensity, very worrying as that's consecutive weeks now they've done that.

Still lacking the old Tigers spirit in my view, Exeter were smashing us in the second half, did we even get a point?

Also I'm still struggling with this 'Aussie like' scrum we seem to have now if Cole and Ayerza aren't on the pitch.

Certainly got the rub of the green on the decisions so getting 5 points from this game was rather fortunate and unlikely to be repeated.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

It's not just football that's a funny old game. 4 tries despite not looking particularly penetrative (loved the lineout try though), 3 cards (nearly 5) in a game of few penalties, a kick chase game where we actually remembered to do the chasing part...and then the collapse towards the end. I was furious with Burns for chipping turnover ball straight back to Exeter in midfield moments after we'd conceded the first try and with a man still in the bin. I was also not happy at the number of times we kicked the ball away in the last 5 minutes. Just asking for trouble. Then again given how many times we knocked the ball on in the game Kitto et al probably didn't want to risk gifting Exeter a scrum in our half which would've more than likely resulted in a penalty.
Still, 5 points from a game several people were nervous about. Got to be happy with that.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

Have to say Leicester got the 'rub of the green' today from the ref, but all in all deserved the win.

I like Betham at 13, however he makes suspect decisions in the defensive line which causes big issues.... something to work on.

Bell at FB offered absolutely nothing. Kicks ball away, turns over ball and offers no attacking threat what's so ever. Hopefully Tait being pulled from the game was a precaution and not a reoccurance of the same groin injury he had 3yrs ago. Anyway, Veainu over Bell at FB next week!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBF to bell it was obviously a tactic to kick and chase.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

sam16111986 wrote:...

Shame Dayglo felt the need to listen to his own voice for five minutes than actually offer any game analysis. It was an entertaining game.
Would you expect Lollipop to do anything else? Whilst Brad Davis and the double glazing salesman said they weren't always wishing Tigers to lose, Loll couldn't bring himself to join in. Silence speaks volumes!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

fleabane wrote:Wig sitting next to Cohen? On the way back to WR?
He was the guest speaker in the 1880 lounge. He did say he was looking forward to getting back into club rugby but didn't say where
Last edited by L Smith on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="G.K"]...
Still lacking the old Tigers spirit in my view, Exeter were smashing us in the second half, did we even get a point?

Also I'm still struggling with this 'Aussie like' scrum we seem to have now if Cole and Ayerza aren't on the pitch....[/quote]

No lack of spirit imo, and we got 14 points in the second half, including the bonus point try.

The Aussie scrum is pretty good these days (Ledesma's coaching has made a great difference), but I do agree that once we are lose our first choice front row, we are lacking quality. Injuries to Rizzo, Leo and Aguero obviously don't help, and I don't think Mulipola is 100% fit at the moment, but we are being embarrassed by other teams relative strength in these areas.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Our back up props are abysmal--amongst the worst I have seen in Tigers colours-------------only Cole Logi Ayerza up to scratch

If Ayerza gets injured in the run in --heaven help us.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ayerza did not look good when he came off today. Balmain also coming off leaves a lot to think about for next weeks visit to the Ricoh.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

A bizarre game, the Tigers front row is so vulnerable once the bench enters the fray, It crumbled against the Chiefs and gave them field position which they love, Tigers were outstanding in spits and spats, some great breaks and try's but have to say a full contingent of Exeter players would have dispatched the Tigers today. Positives were Manu smashing gaps, Fitzgerald dominant, Croft must be close to an England re call, negatives were a weak scrum, poor defence set piece, when your snookered just give it up, lack of a 7, 5 points was an awesome outcome but we need to work on the set piece and the scrum when the replacements appear, rowentree would be ideal, England pack was never that bad when he was in control!!!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Have we got any injury dispensation available? So far, I think we have only used it on Aguero.
Could we be seeing Genge next week?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

G.K wrote:Well after Tigers got the 5 points they were pretty hopeless - a real drop off in intensity, very worrying as that's consecutive weeks now they've done that.

Also I'm still struggling with this 'Aussie like' scrum we seem to have now if Cole and Ayerza aren't on the pitch.

Certainly got the rub of the green on the decisions so getting 5 points from this game was rather fortunate and unlikely to be repeated.
Congratulations on making a 5 point win against the team sitting 2nd in the table seem like a terrible day at the office. If you think there was a lack of spirit by Tigers in that game then I'm afraid you are unlikely to ever be happy before you breathe your last.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

For 60 minutes we can be very happy. But this keeps happening, us falling apart for a while. It is happening to often for it to be a coincident. We gifted them a losing bonus point from 31-6 in the lead with 25 minutes to go. Our players either aren't fit enough, (I doubt it), or this is a mental issue of being complacent/ lacking a killer instinct.