EJ & the media

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

EJ & the media

Post by tigercaspian »

Can sense a grumpiness in the media building against EJ, despite England being 100% so far under his leadership.

I can't send you a link as I don't have a Times online subscription but, if you can still get out to buy a copy, there is two pages of criticism by Owen Slot in today's Times including the stunning comment that "Jones has a single priority and that is for England to win matches" and goes on to express his nostalgia over the previous England regime - "Their judgement was influenced by media perception and public relations" .

Later on he says "He (Jones) does not want Itoje or Daly or anyone to inspire headlines as England superstars,not until they have a few decent performances and triumphs to justify the hype. In other words, he wants victory to do the PR for the team, not the PR department ". Er, what's wrong with that I ask ? Didn't we all get a bit fed up with the Lancaster regimes PR ??

I was left feeling that Mr Slot and his cohorts are all a bit miffed just because EJ is not too concerned to kneel & pray at their alter................
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: EJ & the media

Post by Noddy555 »

I think you are right, Far be it from me to suggest that the English Media especially the press are racist, but you only have to read the daily mail to know that they are. In Fact I think English newspapers invented Institutionalised racism before this was taken up by others e.g. the Met police. One has to ask is there a fine difference between prejudice and triumphalism, surely everybody remembers the Sun Headline
about the Falklands. "Gotcha", whatever the excuse we were at war. I think a conference should be arranged by the Race Relations Board if such an entity still exists for Newspaper Editors and Television journalists where the Theme would be "Is it right to tell lies to gain readership", However knowing quite a few of the old editors I wonder if they'd dare attend.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

England have been determined to win the PR and narrative war for years and years,throughout the professional era. At the beginning of this six nations (in preparation for Wales winning thing) the English PR machine kicked into gear in earnest, and constructed the narrative very early (before a ball had been kicked in anger) that the Six Nations is a rubbish brand and style of rugby and that the teams in it have no chance of winning against the SH. This "pox on all your houses" stuff (Wales were in a whisker of beating the wallabies and had two over the try line tries disallowed, and were even closer to beating South Africa at the World cup) is just all about ensuring that England cannot lose, even if they lose by lots and Wales cannot win, even if they win the championship by lots.
I remember when people accepted defeat with grace responsibility and dignity, now it is all about brand protection, perception, money and damage limitation.

If Wales win it, it definately won't be because they are a better fitter team, have better players and a better future.. it will be all about how England gave it to them, how England lost it, or about a dodgy refereeing decision, or about a dozen other things.
There is no way on earth Wales will come out of the Engalnd Wales match looking good.
Playing rugby against the English and their media sucks.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

welshy08 wrote:England have been determined to win the PR and narrative war for years and years,throughout the professional era. At the beginning of this six nations (in preparation for Wales winning thing) the English PR machine kicked into gear in earnest, and constructed the narrative very early (before a ball had been kicked in anger) that the Six Nations is a rubbish brand and style of rugby and that the teams in it have no chance of winning against the SH. This "pox on all your houses" stuff (Wales were in a whisker of beating the wallabies and had two over the try line tries disallowed, and were even closer to beating South Africa at the World cup) is just all about ensuring that England cannot lose, even if they lose by lots and Wales cannot win, even if they win the championship by lots.
I remember when people accepted defeat with grace responsibility and dignity, now it is all about brand protection, perception, money and damage limitation.

If Wales win it, it definately won't be because they are a better fitter team, have better players and a better future.. it will be all about how England gave it to them, how England lost it, or about a dodgy refereeing decision, or about a dozen other things.
There is no way on earth Wales will come out of the Engalnd Wales match looking good.
Now this is what you call a chip on the shoulder :smt023

Coming close to beating the SH and actually doing it are miles apart...

The media here is just horrific though..the thing I find odd is they literally know the team before it is announced and who makes squads etc the leaks going on are rife..
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It's called a Scoop!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Welshy, your post has nothing to do with the thread I have started so please do me & other posters the courtesy of removing it.

JFJ, I agree totally on the leaking of teams:it sucks.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
welshy08 wrote:England have been determined to win the PR and narrative war for years and years,throughout the professional era. At the beginning of this six nations (in preparation for Wales winning thing) the English PR machine kicked into gear in earnest, and constructed the narrative very early (before a ball had been kicked in anger) that the Six Nations is a rubbish brand and style of rugby and that the teams in it have no chance of winning against the SH. This "pox on all your houses" stuff (Wales were in a whisker of beating the wallabies and had two over the try line tries disallowed, and were even closer to beating South Africa at the World cup) is just all about ensuring that England cannot lose, even if they lose by lots and Wales cannot win, even if they win the championship by lots.

Now this is what you call a chip on the shoulder :smt023

Coming close to beating the SH and actually doing it are miles apart...

The media here is just horrific though..the thing I find odd is they literally know the team before it is announced and who makes squads etc the leaks going on are rife..
I think it might be a chip on each shoulder actually - that's some bitterness
Less is more....
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

The post is right most of not all the papers have very long in the tooth columnists who have an inflated opinion of their own importance.

I don't think that EJ gives a monkey about any of them. He has a contract and a mission and the prawn cocktailers can go hang. Love the way he puts down journalists with the word mate.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigercaspian wrote:Can sense a grumpiness in the media building against EJ, despite England being 100% so far under his leadership.

I can't send you a link as I don't have a Times online subscription but, if you can still get out to buy a copy, there is two pages of criticism by Owen Slot in today's Times including the stunning comment that "Jones has a single priority and that is for England to win matches" and goes on to express his nostalgia over the previous England regime - "Their judgement was influenced by media perception and public relations" .

Later on he says "He (Jones) does not want Itoje or Daly or anyone to inspire headlines as England superstars,not until they have a few decent performances and triumphs to justify the hype. In other words, he wants victory to do the PR for the team, not the PR department ". Er, what's wrong with that I ask ? Didn't we all get a bit fed up with the Lancaster regimes PR ??

I was left feeling that Mr Slot and his cohorts are all a bit miffed just because EJ is not too concerned to kneel & pray at their alter................
Read the article myself and don't agree with your analysis. I felt that the general point was that EJ was doing what EJ wanted to do in all respects and was not singing from the RFU hymnsheet on a number of occasions, and the RFU knew what they were buying into when they employed him.

Regards nostalgia for the previous regime, I took the comments as criticism of it, which ties in with the comments about Daly and Itoje. Here Owen Slot again contrasted this with the previous regime who made a big thing out of a players first appearance.

There have been a number of observations since he took over about how EJ has made a number of changes to things that he or the players felt were irrelevant and/or distractions e.g. the walk from the coach through the West car park plus other things aimed at getting the fans back supporting the team after the 2011 World Cup shenanigans. I feel that they did serve some purpose for a while but had probably outlived their purpose