Farrell must go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell must go

Post by LE18 »

Could there be a late change, Ford had a bump yesterday into Launchbury, he came back on, but will he be ruled ok to start?
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

World class to play against southerns would be Cole, Billy, Kruis, Ben Youngs, Farrell, Manu, Joseph and Watson. imho
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect we might well add Itoje to that list before long.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

fortysix wrote:Farrell is the rugby analogy of Squeaker Beckham

As George Best said , he cant run, he cant tackle, he cant dribble, he cant head. Apart from that he's quite good.

Farrell is slow, tackling the worst of the current backs, lousy temperament in certain areas, cant kick a moving ball, and has very limited visionary processes. Apart from that he's quite good
Like there's a vast choice of alternatives.
The much praised Cipriani seems to have been dropped from the Sale side. Ford looks way off form.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote:

As George Best said , he cant run, he cant tackle, he cant dribble, he cant head. Apart from that he's quite good.

Farrell is slow, tackling the worst of the current backs, lousy temperament in certain areas, cant kick a moving ball, and has very limited visionary processes. Apart from that he's quite good
The much praised Cipriani seems to have been dropped from the Sale side. Ford looks way off form.
Cipriani dropped from goal kicking because he's pants at it, but has few peers as a running 10.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote:

Bring back Tobias Gerald Albert Lieven Flood - still only 30!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Number 10s who have won the world cup in professional era:

Joel Stransky
Stephen Larkham (Matt Burke did kicking)
Jonny Wilkinson
Butch James (Percy Montgomery did kicking)
Cruden/Donald
Carter

Most of these finals have been decided by a kicker - 1995, 2003, 2007, 2011.

Owen Farrell, please.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

jgriffin wrote: Cipriani dropped from goal kicking because he's pants at it, but has few peers as a running 10.
He is a good footballer in that sense JG, but other aspects are woefully short of test level. His kicking and his defence are two of the obvious ones. EJ has made it completely clear he doesn't consider him a test match player, as MJ, Gatland and Lancaster have more subtly implied before. EJ is giving a very clear message that their are good club players, and then there are true test match players, and there is a significant gap between the two.

Farrell is head and shoulders above Cipriani as an all round player. No doubt next years BL coach will also suitably endorse Farrell's credentials by selecting him for the tour to NZ.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sajerj wrote:
jgriffin wrote: Cipriani dropped from goal kicking because he's pants at it, but has few peers as a running 10.
He is a good footballer in that sense JG, but other aspects are woefully short of test level. His kicking and his defence are two of the obvious ones. EJ has made it completely clear he doesn't consider him a test match player, as MJ, Gatland and Lancaster have more subtly implied before. EJ is giving a very clear message that their are good club players, and then there are true test match players, and there is a significant gap between the two.

Farrell is head and shoulders above Cipriani as an all round player. No doubt next years BL coach will also suitably endorse Farrell's credentials by selecting him for the tour to NZ.
The Cipriani tackle thing is a myth, just like the OTY lineout one - check the Opta Stats. Choosing the WC finals neglects 99.9999% of even internationals, so doesn't IMO stands up to scrutiny as an argument; the world of rugby is full of non-10s who kick for theor teams. I actually am happy with Fazlet currently as a stopgap, although his creativty doesn't even come near Cipriani, or even Toby or Goodey! - Daly is a kicker as is Slade, and I suspect Fazlet will be a bench choice at best by next year.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

With Cips in the team you would need a TOP class goal kicker as well. That is not Daly. Only possibility on current form is Goode at 15 who probably should be there anyway on current form for club.

Overall though I would pick Farrell presently at 10 as the best all rounder. However I sincerely hope Ford gets his mojo back because he has the skills to be absolutely top class and I dream of England playing with a fully fit and in form 10 Ford 12 Slade 13 Manu....

Have to give credit to EJ for sticking with Ford, really showing belief in him, I just hope it doesn't bite him in the bum v Wales this afternoon!!
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Owen Farrell the best all rounder?! Are you being serious?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Speaking as someone who is clearly insane I will only state, from no more than 35 years of watching top-class rugby, that Fazlet is not international class. I dwell not on his skill-levels but on the one thing that distinguishes international 10s (and most other internationals) from excellent club players, the bit between the ears AKA the brain. The seat of both creativity and emotional control, on any count Fazlet comes up short - good yes, international, no.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Speaking as someone who is clearly insane I will only state, from no more than 35 years of watching top-class rugby, that Fazlet is not international class. I dwell not on his skill-levels but on the one thing that distinguishes international 10s (and most other internationals) from excellent club players, the bit between the ears AKA the brain. The seat of both creativity and emotional control, on any count Fazlet comes up short - good yes, international, no_______________________________________________________________________________
I concur 150%
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Where would England have been today without his kicking? Not a creative 10, but you just have to find a place for someone who kicks like that. Could he play full back?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

That is the conundrum.. he cant play rugby, he clogs everything up, his tackle count is the worst of all the backs, but he is nerveless when kicking....