Farrell must go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell must go

Post by mol2 »

ellis9 wrote:Disagree completely. Hodgson is a much better fly half than Farrell. Having said that, most are better than Farrell.
Hodgson looks good at lower levels but at test level was tried tested and ultimately found wanting in both kicking and tackling. Great at club level.

Farrell may not have the flair of some but sustains his performance level against test match opposition. He's efficient rather than spectacular and best used as a fly half.

A bit of a hothead at times and hardly a character you can warm too but in absolute terms whether you or I like him is not a reflection on his ability.

Of the other English fly halves who else is there? Burns - clearly too flaky.
The one who seems to have the ability is Slade but he is still out injured.
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Hmmm, I'm not a massive fan of Farrell I must admit. His play style on the edge of legality and propensity to act like an impetuous teenager annoy me intensely. I also have a nagging annoyance personally for any fly-half who looks as happy at 12 as he does 10. His distribution at inside centre always seems crisper, but more easily read.

Ford is badly out of form in my opinion, but, I believe is the correct long term answer for England.

Not wishing to hijack the thread at all, but does anybody else feel it may to time to try other options at Fullback as well?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

adamv6 wrote:Hmmm, I'm not a massive fan of Farrell I must admit. His play style on the edge of legality and propensity to act like an impetuous teenager annoy me intensely. I also have a nagging annoyance personally for any fly-half who looks as happy at 12 as he does 10. His distribution at inside centre always seems crisper, but more easily read.

Ford is badly out of form in my opinion, but, I believe is the correct long term answer for England.

Not wishing to hijack the thread at all, but does anybody else feel it may to time to try other options at Fullback as well?
I agree that Brown is stale, but like in several other areas, England have painted themselves into a corner. When people say 'but who else is there?' it is partly a reflection on those discarded. Clifford got a chance and had an impact, and he is not my idea of first in line! Cipriani has been discarded but as a running 10 he has few peers and when he was used by England had an impact. There are many others who might make the step up as Itoji seems to be doing, and not all of them youngsters; England ossified and withered under the Clot; hopefully 5N success will give EJ the power to say 'my choice now'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It has nothing to do with me not liking Farrell. I don't like him because I don't think he is very good. I would go a very, very, very long way down the pecking order of fly halves before I even contemplated picking Farrell. Put it this way, if I was the head coach of England (I wish) then Farrell would do well to consider playing abroad as he would have as much chance of playing for England whilst playing in France than he would playing in England.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Brown is coming to the end of his international career and England should be looking at a younger player to gain experience for the next world cup cycle.

Had he been on sparkling form then a case could have been made for his retention to allow a more gradual introduction of less experienced players, but he's not, so minimal risk from playing say Watson at full back rather than on the wing.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

mol2 wrote:Brown is coming to the end of his international career and England should be looking at a younger player to gain experience for the next world cup cycle.

Had he been on sparkling form then a case could have been made for his retention to allow a more gradual introduction of less experienced players, but he's not, so minimal risk from playing say Watson at full back rather than on the wing.
Kind of agree but Watson needs to find some consistency and kick from hand better. I'd be happy to see him start on the wing with Goode or Foden at 15 and then move to FB during the game
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Too right about Brown, its endgame for him
Foden not a chance !1
FB--Haley possibly, Hammersley, possibly , Watson probably
RW_Wade/ Watson
OC_Daly Joseph
IC Tuilagi Burrell
LW Nowell May
FH Slade/ Cipriani
SH Simpson/ Youngs
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote: ....hopefully 5N success will give EJ the power to say 'my choice now'.
Have they kicked Italy out again now then?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

G.K wrote:
jgriffin wrote: ....hopefully 5N success will give EJ the power to say 'my choice now'.
Not kicked out but "Stamped out" -- Castro got a two week ban and misses the next 6N match. Thank goodness we had the best years out of Castro.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

fortysix wrote:Too right about Brown, its endgame for him
Foden not a chance !1
RW_Wade/ Watson
OC_Daly Joseph
IC Tuilagi Burrell
LW Nowell May
FH Slade/ Cipriani
SH Simpson/ Youngs
Everybody seems to be conveniently ignoring the fact that mercurial as Cipriani can be, more often than not, he isn't. If you add into the mix that his kicking percentages are quite literally about 50% at the moment (kicking goals being kind of fundamental to the game these days) then you'd be foolish to select him. Fortunately EJ hasn't been.

Has anybody stopped to consider that Mike Brown might just be going through a patch of below average form, rather than him being 'past it'? After all, how old is he? People seem to be giving Ford the benefit of the doubt on his poor form when in actual fact, that's an international liability.

You lot will be suggesting that Tait should be playing FB for England next....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

wormus wrote:
G.K wrote:
Not kicked out but "Stamped out" -- Castro got a two week ban and misses the next 6N match. Thank goodness we had the best years out of Castro.
Unlike Waldrom, Salvi and Parling, who will probably run rings round Tigers on Sunday...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Roly wrote: Unlike Waldrom, Salvi and Parling, who will probably run rings round Tigers on Sunday...
Ever the optimist.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Roly wrote: Unlike Waldrom, Salvi and Parling, who will probably run rings round Tigers on Sunday...
Ever the optimist.....
If I see Parling running rings around us, then, and only then, will I agree that him leaving was bad for Tigers, given the replacements.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Roly wrote:
fortysix wrote:Too right about Brown, its endgame for him
Foden not a chance !1
RW_Wade/ Watson
OC_Daly Joseph
IC Tuilagi Burrell
LW Nowell May
FH Slade/ Cipriani
SH Simpson/ Youngs
Everybody seems to be conveniently ignoring the fact that mercurial as Cipriani can be, more often than not, he isn't. If you add into the mix that his kicking percentages are quite literally about 50% at the moment (kicking goals being kind of fundamental to the game these days) then you'd be foolish to select him. Fortunately EJ hasn't been.

Has anybody stopped to consider that Mike Brown might just be going through a patch of below average form, rather than him being 'past it'? After all, how old is he? People seem to be giving Ford the benefit of the doubt on his poor form when in actual fact, that's an international liability.

You lot will be suggesting that Tait should be playing FB for England next....
Cips doesn't have to be the kicker though. Do none of the other you mention kick? Why is it England only ever have one kicker on the field. Wales always seem to have more than one.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Ever the optimist.....
If I see Parling running rings around us, then, and only then, will I agree that him leaving was bad for Tigers, given the replacements.
Ah - so by inference you concede that Waldrom & Salvi leaving was bad for Tigers?

Only saying that because when I expressed that exact same opinion at the time, I was told that it wasn't necessarily a bad thing for Tigers...

I'd have either of them back.