Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Farrell must go

Post by wellstiger »

Sorry
Ford jnr is not international class.
Farrel is better than Ford but can be on the edge of legality at times.
Cips kicking game is not good enough at present.
Steenson was Irish u21, does he qualify????
Goode is having the time of his life, but pensionable
Your mate from Sarries - ditto -
Don't get me started re Burns - sorry not a fan.
WHO'S LEFT !!!!! :smt009 :smt017 :smt015
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Ford's problem is lack of confidence - and this season lack of practice playing behind a strong pack and in a winning team.

Farrell's problem is over-confidence - the laws dont apply to me, and I'm good enough to get by by just shipping the ball along the line and not really doing much else.

Both have shown better form - Farrell started to look good on the last Lions tour under different coaching, Ford can be magical on his day.

Of the two I think Farrell is nearer his long-term upper performance limits, and surely more vulnerable to a re-organisation of the backs when both Manu and Slade are available, especially while he is playing 12.

Surely EJ sees this and is using Farrell as a crutch for Ford in the hopes Ford regains his confidence. If this doesnt work I don't rate the chances of either longer term - EJ is pragmatic but his patience (and his need to be patient) will certainly not last.
Last edited by Grimlish on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

TigerCam wrote:
fortysix wrote:My Sarries mate reckons Charlie is streets ahead of Farrell, in every single fly half facet.Not sure many would disagree with that statement!!
+1 :smt023 . Charlie is one of the most natural 10s going shame his international career did work out?
In every single facet

Are you telling me CH is a better tackler than Owen?
A better goal kicker than Owen? Charlie cost England so many 6Ns games with his goal kicking, remember than one vs France at Twickers

Are you telling Charlie carries the ball into contact as well as Owen/

The only thing Charlie does better than Owen is pick the perfect pass on occasion but Hodgson is a worse tackler than Ford and a renowned bottler.

Farrell has been unbelievable at 10 for Sarries this year
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Hmmmmm...he was kicking better before being discarded by Jones and signing for Wasps, maybe concentration or possibly even a confidence issue, can't imagine it's a comfortable place to be in the circumstances.
That aside, if you take the Aussies as example with Foley, Beale, Cooper, Giteau, Toomua, running rugby comes first and kicking off the tee comes second, often they pick the team first and then nominate the best kicker of the bunch.
No such thing as the perfect player, Dan Carter was about the closest in a long time.
Cips should at least have been in the England squad, but he still might be.
Alex Lozowski going from Wasps to Sarries next season will be an interesting one to watch behind that Sarries forward pack.
Cheery chappy
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Generally in agreement with the paucity of world-class 10s in England, but EJ has to go with what's available. Farrell reminds me of Ashton in many ways, especially his tendency to start a fracas, but quickly move away afterwards. Oh, and being generally silly!

However, the fly-halves' performance is a reflection of the ball they receive, and to my mind Ben Youngs remains a problem (I await the backlash). The opposition players barely need to do anything to slow up England's (or Tigers') ball because Ben does this for them! Ben clearly offers an attack threat, unlike, say, Stringer whose quick ball is almost legendary, but since getting the ball from scrum, ruck or maul to his outside backs is job number 1, this aspect of his play really needs to be worked on.

[I'd still get rid of Farrell though :smt003 ]
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

Ads677 wrote:...Farrell reminds me of Ashton in many ways...being generally silly!

However, the fly-halves' performance is a reflection of the ball they receive, and to my mind Ben Youngs remains a problem (I await the backlash). The opposition players barely need to do anything to slow up England's (or Tigers') ball because Ben does this for them! Ben clearly offers an attack threat, unlike, say, Stringer whose quick ball is almost legendary, but since getting the ball from scrum, ruck or maul to his outside backs is job number 1, this aspect of his play really needs to be worked on.

[I'd still get rid of Farrell though :smt003 ]
one thing I noticed was the amount of balls Ben passed at head height, slowing down what the 1st receiver could do because they first of all had to bring the ball under control.

[I'd also get rid of Farrell though]
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Farrell's distribution has looked pretty good of late. Certainly between Ford and Farrell at the moment I would go with Farrell at 10. Slade will be better than both.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Eddie Jones quoted today that Ford was poetry on Saturday and would play at 10 through the 6N.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Like I say - he wants to boost his confidence - how else can that be explained? (And he's prepared to risk using the meedya to achieve this).
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Grimlish wrote:Like I say - he wants to boost his confidence - how else can that be explained? (And he's prepared to risk using the meedya to achieve this).

Time for a BJ impersonation. It's meejah, not meedya :smt016
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

And I think Bill would have responded 'fairy snuff'
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Isambard wrote:Eddie Jones quoted today that Ford was poetry on Saturday and would play at 10 through the 6N.
There was once a bottler from barf...
Who some thought could be a fly half...
With a scrum in reverse...
Almost no-one was worse...
I think Jonesy is having a larf
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

L Smith wrote:
Isambard wrote:Eddie Jones quoted today that Ford was poetry on Saturday and would play at 10 through the 6N.
There was once a bottler from barf...
Who some thought could be a fly half...
With a scrum in reverse...
Almost no-one was worse...
I think Jonesy is having a larf
That's very good!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

wellstiger wrote:Sorry
Ford jnr is not international class.
Farrel is better than Ford but can be on the edge of legality at times.
Steenson was Irish u21, does he qualify????
Goode is having the time of his life, but pensionable
Your mate from Sarries - ditto -
Don't get me started re Burns - sorry not a fan.
WHO'S LEFT !!!!! :smt009 :smt017 :smt015
Slade...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Will S wrote:Farrell's distribution has looked pretty good of late. Certainly between Ford and Farrell at the moment I would go with Farrell at 10. Slade will be better than both.
Glad I'm not the only one thinking that of Farrell.

He's also doing a hell of a lot of work at ruck and maul. I've seen him in all three 6N games so far go flying into static mauls to give them impetus and, more importantly, get his body between the ball carrier at the back and an opponent coming through the maul who is going to stifle the move.

At the moment he's not offering himself as a runner enough IMO - but how much is that because Ford is flinging it to him without ever taking it up himself, and allowing defenders to 2 on 1 him so he in turn has to ship it fast