(Half) Plastic pitch at Welford Rd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PAW

(Half) Plastic pitch at Welford Rd

Post by PAW »

Anyone know why the pitch is half covered in plastic (see the webcam)?

It has been like that for a couple of days and I would have thought the already limited amount of grass would be killed by the lack of light.

We wont be able to blame Will Young this time (or whichever MOR act was on the stage)
Last edited by PAW on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: (Half) Plastic pitch at Welford Rd

Post by wormus »

PAW wrote:Anyone know why the pitch is half covered in plastic (see the webcam)?

It has ben like that for a couple of days and I would have thought the already limited amount of grass would be killed by the lack of light.

We wont be able to blame Will Young this time (or whichever MOR act was on the stage)
Frost protection as the Crumbie side does not attract the sun in these winter months, years ago straw covered the pitch. You do not want a frozen pitch on Sunday. Good planning by the groundstaff. :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wormus wrote:
PAW wrote:Anyone know why the pitch is half covered in plastic (see the webcam)?

It has ben like that for a couple of days and I would have thought the already limited amount of grass would be killed by the lack of light.

Frost protection as the Crumbie side does not attract the sun in these winter months, years ago straw covered the pitch. You do not want a frozen pitch on Sunday. Good planning by the groundstaff. :smt023
Ahhh...I remember those days so well!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Does not look like the repair from last year has worked too well, parts cut up badly yesterday on Crumbie side revealing a lot of sand and i don't think grass grows too well when there is too much sand. Season started with what looked like only a thin covering of grass after the reseeding last year but we do still seem to have a large patch that won't hold a stud during the scrums.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

IMHO the whole pitch looked dry, sandy and very light on your actual green grass
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

All the more reason to bring on the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass in the close season to make sure we don't suffer this & other issues with an all grass pitch in the future.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022