Fake pitches could cause cancer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

barnythebear

Fake pitches could cause cancer

Post by barnythebear »

This article appeared in this mornings Daily Telegraph. It seems like there maybe issues with fake pitches because of the toxins in them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... -boss.html
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Fake pitches could cause cancer

Post by Noddy555 »

I have read this article and fail to see without further research and a myriad of other cases why this parent should claim that artificial pitches are to blame for his son's condition, though I do sympathise with him. At the age of 16 I lost my 17 year old girlfriend to Leukemia, a condition which given her symptoms is still incurable today. I too looked round for people to blame, even god, but learnt from experience that there are some illness which may remain incurable for some time. He has to accept his loss however painful and move on though I know that this is never easy.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Sorry to hear that Noddy.

I still think the worst problem is the Smoke that they let off at the start, Millenium was still full of it even after Kick off. What's the difference between that and banning smoking, especially in a stadium where they close the roof. :smt017
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

LE18 wrote:What's the difference between that and banning smoking
the chemicals in the smoke...
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Looks like a typical scare story often favoured by the press where claims are made with little or no supporting evidence, a bit like the 'fracking' issue.

We live in a highly 'safety aware' world, particularly when it comes to chemical risk, and I suspect that the synthetic rubbers used in the manufacture of such pitches is the same or similar to that found in children's playgrounds. Companies that produce these materials have to jump through many toxicology hoops to protect both their workers and the end users and whilst it is true that some plastics can leech out chemicals and hence should not come into contact with, say, food those produced in the west are required to be rigorously tested before being CE marked to enable sale within Europe for specific end uses.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The gentleman in the article believes his son is ill because of the toxins in the make-up of these pitches, he may be right, he may be wrong. I don't think that many of us are qualified to comment. Similar concerns were expressed and initially dismissed regarding asbestos, smoking and many other substances. The subject has been raised and with cases other than the young man in question it should be investigated and a definitive answer found.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

While the material of the crumb may be similar to that used in playgrounds, there is a difference in that the crumb might be ingested or inhaled when a player is face down at the bottom of a ruck. In a playground, the material is usually in the form of a large flat sheet.

Tyres have been a popular planter on allotments for a few years, but of late there have been some concerns raised.

See also

www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Publications/Tires/62206013.pdf
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/Research ... als_veg.ht
www.theecologist.org
www.epa.vic.gov.au
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

100% true, and very verifyable if one checks what constitutes a Plastic Pitch..

But who , 2 years ago, realised Rugby players would cop dementia/ brain damage/ tumours/ alzheimers/ from Age 50 onwards except people in the know-----------due to frequent collisions a la boxing ???

It is really logical if you think about it--google it on the net if you are sceptical.

Very very glad my two sons werent considered good enough for 1st class Rugby-----------unlike their Grandfather...
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

Was also on BBC 5 live yesterday- very convincing evidence too.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

This link seem to present the current state of the concern and evidence in some detail:

http://www.ehhi.org/reports/turf/health_effects.shtml
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392

It's made the BBC website now.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fortysix wrote:100% true, and very verifyable if one checks what constitutes a Plastic Pitch..

But who , 2 years ago, realised Rugby players would cop dementia/ brain damage/ tumours/ alzheimers/ from Age 50 onwards except people in the know-----------due to frequent collisions a la boxing ???

It is really logical if you think about it--google it on the net if you are sceptical.

Very very glad my two sons werent considered good enough for 1st class Rugby-----------unlike their Grandfather...
if you check the internet you will find "evidence" that Elvis is still alive, I'll wait until we have conclusive proof before rushing out to declare this true
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Jimmy Skitz-all toxins cause grave Free Radical Damage, in varying degrees of severity depending on the individual's luck genetically.
There are not enough natural anti-oxidants and micronutrients left to balance out the internal human body.

Thats why there are so many Degenerative Diseases ( 75+ )---I'll wager half the forum readers have some form of disease, and have been dosed up by their quacks with statins, steroids, drugs---------- which compounds the problems even further.

As everything here regarding Health Issues are always 5 years behind the USA----I''l bet that sooner or later, certain types of pitches will be banned , because they definitely are toxic
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rubber crumb is no more dangerous than a child's dummy and whilst there are toxins contained they are "impossible" to extract, even if ingested.

That is from the doctor at the lab that is responsible for testing here in the UK.

The father of the lad who developed cancer is not a doctor nor a scientist, he was a paper pusher with no basis for his claims.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

fortysix wrote:Jimmy Skitz-all toxins cause grave Free Radical Damage, in varying degrees of severity depending on the individual's luck genetically.
There are not enough natural anti-oxidants and micronutrients left to balance out the internal human body.

Thats why there are so many Degenerative Diseases ( 75+ )---I'll wager half the forum readers have some form of disease, and have been dosed up by their quacks with statins, steroids, drugs---------- which compounds the problems even further.

As everything here regarding Health Issues are always 5 years behind the USA----I''l bet that sooner or later, certain types of pitches will be banned , because they definitely are toxic
I'm sorry but you are making meaningless statements without an evidential base and to simply dismiss the use of medicines with proven health benefits is plain daft. :smt009