England: the Journey continues!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England: the Journey continues!

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Roly wrote:God there's some garbage posted on here regarding England's team selection.

I suppose it's too much to hope that their blinkered and short-sighted views could be influenced at all by the fact that no single team stood out as potential title contenders on an opening weekend of post world cup changed teams and new coaches.

England were solid against a Scottish team tipped for the win at home, after a good (and some would argue unfairly curtailed) world cup. Scotland are perhaps capable of better, but show me a 6N team that weren't come Sunday evening. The overall discipline was acceptable, yet it seems there are still some individuals who would like to see it fail. The only fail here is their persistent wish for it to be so. It's actually quite depressing that their worst nightmare is an England win which disproves their theories on team selection.

The suggestion that Wales would put 25 points on England is laughable but expected bigotry. Gatlandball has only one facet - stop Roberts and North at source and Wales are average. A depleted Ireland held them to a draw. Italy started brightly but were still beaten by a typically erratic French performance.

The team selection for Sunday has introduced some fresh players to the mix. Some people have been suggesting should have been there from the start. It can only be a matter of time before the complaints begin...
But you have to admit that there was very little difference from this England performance compared to the opening fixture last year against Wales - we had a dodgy first half then turned on the power in the second.

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the six nations, but there is very little visible change so far.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
Roly wrote:God there's some garbage posted on here regarding England's team selection.

I suppose it's too much to hope that their blinkered and short-sighted views could be influenced at all by the fact that no single team stood out as potential title contenders on an opening weekend of post world cup changed teams and new coaches.

England were solid against a Scottish team tipped for the win at home, after a good (and some would argue unfairly curtailed) world cup. Scotland are perhaps capable of better, but show me a 6N team that weren't come Sunday evening. The overall discipline was acceptable, yet it seems there are still some individuals who would like to see it fail. The only fail here is their persistent wish for it to be so. It's actually quite depressing that their worst nightmare is an England win which disproves their theories on team selection.

The suggestion that Wales would put 25 points on England is laughable but expected bigotry. Gatlandball has only one facet - stop Roberts and North at source and Wales are average. A depleted Ireland held them to a draw. Italy started brightly but were still beaten by a typically erratic French performance.

The team selection for Sunday has introduced some fresh players to the mix. Some people have been suggesting should have been there from the start. It can only be a matter of time before the complaints begin...
But you have to admit that there was very little difference from this England performance compared to the opening fixture last year against Wales - we had a dodgy first half then turned on the power in the second.

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the six nations, but there is very little visible change so far.
There hasn't been visible change for any of the teams. For example, we were promised a new look French side, now under new management. Quite a few changes, but little or no difference in playing style really. One thing is for sure - the French backs look by far the most dangerous from the 6N teams ball in hand. Poor Jamie Roberts will be tackling thin air....

Anyway, all the teams will develop/improve as the tournament progresses. The opening weekend is not a good barometer. Jones's selection for the weekend shows signs that he will be introducing new players. Clearing out the 'old' England team for the opening fixture would have been ridiculous, especially when you consider that there wasn't actually much wrong with the 'old' team.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

England played some great rugby in last seasons 6 Nations so why would Jones make wholesale changes? It was always a question of tinkering around the edges, partly in terms of coaching and partly in terms of selection.

On the coaching front our scrum was looking half good, lineout excellent and for the first time in a long while we have developed an effective driving maul. Thank you Borthwick/Gustard.

On the selection front, Clifford looks likely to start on Sunday and hopefully Itoje will be in the 23 and make his debut, from which I'm sure he will kick on. Yes personally I'm disappointed that Daly is not there, but that's Eddies call for now and he will have his reasons, after all he's watched more prem rugby than all of us this season and seen all the players close up in camp.

Personally I hope he drops Ford for Sunday and plays the in form 10 (Farrell) with Devoto at 12. On the other hand he may think that Italy could be a good game for Ford to get back some much needed confidence/swagger into his game, which has sadly gone missing (along with Bath's form) this season. We shall see!
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:England played some great rugby in last seasons 6 Nations so why would Jones make wholesale changes? It was always a question of tinkering around the edges, partly in terms of coaching and partly in terms of selection.

On the coaching front our scrum was looking half good, lineout excellent and for the first time in a long while we have developed an effective driving maul. Thank you Borthwick/Gustard.

On the selection front, Clifford looks likely to start on Sunday and hopefully Itoje will be in the 23 and make his debut, from which I'm sure he will kick on. Yes personally I'm disappointed that Daly is not there, but that's Eddies call for now and he will have his reasons, after all he's watched more prem rugby than all of us this season and seen all the players close up in camp.

Personally I hope he drops Ford for Sunday and plays the in form 10 (Farrell) with Devoto at 12. On the other hand he may think that Italy could be a good game for Ford to get back some much needed confidence/swagger into his game, which has sadly gone missing (along with Bath's form) this season. We shall see!
Agree with most of that Soggy, however, Italy in Rome is no easy prospect - in fact it's potentially the biggest banana skin this year.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree Italy won't be easy and we mustn't take them lightly! However they are easier than Wales/Ireland/France and so far we've never lost to them!!
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:I agree Italy won't be easy and we mustn't take them lightly! However they are easier than Wales/Ireland/France and so far we've never lost to them!!
Haha.... ask Wales/Ireland/France how easy it is to beat Italy in Rome... :smt002
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Soggypitch wrote:... On the other hand he may think that Italy could be a good game for Ford to get back some much needed confidence/swagger into his game, which has sadly gone missing (along with Bath's form) this season. We shall see!
If Steady Eddie does play little Georgie Ford we had better hope that the sublime (don't tell ze Stade Fan!) Sergio doesn't get to him often.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TomWeston wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:... On the other hand he may think that Italy could be a good game for Ford to get back some much needed confidence/swagger into his game, which has sadly gone missing (along with Bath's form) this season. We shall see!
If Steady Eddie does play little Georgie Ford we had better hope that the sublime (don't tell ze Stade Fan!) Sergio doesn't get to him often.
It doesn't matter who Jones selects at 10, the 6 and 7 are crucial - they have to target Sergio. Without their Talisman, Italy are not the same team.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly's correct there were no stand out teams at the weekend. I don't think that was much of a surprise to be honest. Of the 6 teams only Scotland were in a good place after the RWC. And anybody who has watched Scotland over the last 20 years would be surprised if that continued.

As far as England goes their schedule and the state of the other teams provides a great opportunity to win the competition. So I wouldn't be throwing in lots of rookies or debuting lots of new combinations. As we discovered in the RWC working to a 4 year plan doesn't work. We should target this competition, then the next, and so on.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Seems to be the way of English rugby supporters and their rugby journalists these days, to talk all other home nations down, both for their performances during the World Cup and now during the Six Nations? I realise rugby is a professional sport both on and off the pitch these days, but do you all have to behave like you work in the RFU PR department?

I was delighted with how Wales went during the world cup. Wales were far superior to both Scotland and England on the weekend. Wales would have made any team look average with that defensive performance frankly. Roberts and Johnathan Davies were superb.

Coming back into the match, in Dublin after an Irish lead is almost impossible. Ireland build a bit of a lead over you, and you are normally gone. Coming back after losing your number 10 and play maker was incredible frankly.

So I for one am ecstatic.
These were matches Wales would lose in the past.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Staggering to think that Wales, with the most consistent line up of all the teams, almost lost to Ireland's 2nd XV ? Surely not !
Well fought back Wales - that'll show those 2nd XV types what we're about , eh ?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

welshy08 wrote:Seems to be the way of English rugby supporters and their rugby journalists these days, to talk all other home nations down, both for their performances during the World Cup and now during the Six Nations? I realise rugby is a professional sport both on and off the pitch these days, but do you all have to behave like you work in the RFU PR department?

I was delighted with how Wales went during the world cup. Wales were far superior to both Scotland and England on the weekend. Wales would have made any team look average with that defensive performance frankly. Roberts and Johnathan Davies were superb.

Coming back into the match, in Dublin after an Irish lead is almost impossible. Ireland build a bit of a lead over you, and you are normally gone. Coming back after losing your number 10 and play maker was incredible frankly.

So I for one am ecstatic.
These were matches Wales would lose in the past.
Does your carer know you're on here?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The Welsh record v the southern hemisphere teams (excl Argentina) is diabolical. Considering this is a golden generation for Wales with so many Lions in their team, they are perennial under achievers.

When it comes to the crunch they bottle it, eg RWC quarter final this year.

They seemingly have the best first XV and the best coaches in the northern hemisphere, but their problem is "up top" hence their lack of meaningful success during this era.
Soggypitch
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="welshy08"]Seems to be the way of English rugby supporters and their rugby journalists these days, to talk all other home nations down, both for their performances during the World Cup and now during the Six Nations? I realise rugby is a professional sport both on and off the pitch these days, but do you all have to behave like you work in the RFU PR department?
........[/quote]

Wow. Stop the press - fans talking down opposition shocker!
Whereas, of course similar boards up and down Wales will be much different - not!

If you take your blinkers off and actually read many of the posts on this thread there is criticism of England - hardly the behaviour of the RFU PR dept.

For the record,I thought that Wales played pretty well, and while he didn't offer much in attack, Jamie Robert's defence was top notch.
Last edited by MurphysLaw on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcooper

Post by rcooper »

Ford and Farrell at 10 and 12 won't work for numerous reasons! You play one or the other at 10 simple.