Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris Ashton ban - appeal update

Post by rocktop51 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35347015

Chris Ashton could miss the Six Nations after being cited for allegedly making contact with the eyes of Ulster's Luke Marshall.

A disciplinary hearing will take place on Wednesday and he facesfaces a minimum 12-week ban if found guilty.

Seems like he's at again doesn't it? Wonder what Eddie Jones thinks
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Ashton to face ban?

Post by Bill W (2) »

Does Eddie Jones thnk?

The liklihood of dullan surviviving to the six nations without a ban is odds against!

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

rocktop51 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35347015

Chris Ashton could miss the Six Nations after being cited for allegedly making contact with the eyes of Ulster's Luke Marshall.

A disciplinary hearing will take place on Wednesday and he facesfaces a minimum 12-week ban if found guilty.

12 weeks is the low entry point isn't it? Not necessarily what you get, but we've had a couple of players banned with no evidence except assertion, so little hope he'll get a fair hearing IMO. You can do it totally accidentally and still receive a lengthy ban. One of the very necessary disciplinaries that can descend into farce.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

To be fair contact with the eye area covers a wide range of things from gouging down to brushing your hand over someone's face when their head is down in a ruck (Owen Williams) even if there's no pressure.

In this case I believe it was looked at at the time, a penalty given for clearing a man out by the head/neck but no evidence of contact with the eye area.

As it was Ashton was lucky it wasn't a yellow for clearing out by the neck...
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

He will wear a smart suit a tie and a shirt, plead guilty show remorse and previous good behaviour. 12 weeks reduced to 4.
Still keeping the faith!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

As he has never ever in his whole rugby career ever tackled anyone head on, the panel will realise he was in a total funk and that his hand accidently slipped towards his antagonists eyes to free himself from any more unnecessary body contact.....
nasher

Post by nasher »

The odds of him receiving a ban are astronomical. He is wanted by the New England set up any punishment will be therefore proportional if at all.
nasher

Post by nasher »

I apologise it's a European matter and the official is French if he did it he will be banned. My mistake !
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

jgriffin wrote:

12 weeks is the low entry point isn't it? Not necessarily what you get, but we've had a couple of players banned with no evidence except assertion, so little hope he'll get a fair hearing IMO. You can do it totally accidentally and still receive a lengthy ban. One of the very necessary disciplinaries that can descend into farce.
ERC details of the weekend disciplinaries, http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... p16DYiLTy0 Hearings on Wednesday.
Who said Saints play with "no balls?" - They do now!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

If is his banned, who would people replace him with in the England squad? I would say Wade but I don't know the length of his injury.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Spicer wrote:If is his banned, who would people replace him with in the England squad? I would say Wade but I don't know the length of his injury.
At the time I thought he got off lightly, I think there is no doubt he will be banned, others have been for just brushing there hands over a face!
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

daktari wrote:
Spicer wrote:If is his banned, who would people replace him with in the England squad? I would say Wade but I don't know the length of his injury.
At the time I thought he got off lightly, I think there is no doubt he will be banned, others have been for just brushing there hands over a face!
Agreed. For me there was contact with the face in the eye area and it should have been at least a yellow at the time. I don't think eye contact was intentional but it was yet another example of Ashton using foul play in an attempt to drag a player into touch.

12 week starting point and he has form so it is debatable how much reduction he will get. 6 Nations a real doubt.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It can still be discounted from 12. A guilty plea might see a reduction by half as a starting point for instance.

But he'll miss the Six Nations, I'm quite sure. And with that I suspect his international career is shot.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Nah, that's what we said about Hartley, Jones will probably select him back as his Vice Captain. :smt005
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

A ban never, surely this seals his qualification to go up again Hartley for the Captain's role?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too