Leicester Tigers Rugby Show 3 February 2016

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

IanC
Tiger Cub

Leicester Tigers Rugby Show 3 February 2016

Post by IanC »

Usual time on BBC Radio Leicester 6pm - 7pm. 104.9 fm + DAB, online, etc.

Special guest Tigers' Defence Coach Scott Hansen. Brilliant analyst and speaker (and very nice guy) - has to be worth a listen!
PAW

Re: Leicester Tigers Rugby Show 3 February 2016

Post by PAW »

I have become a little frustrated with the show -although I still take the podcast every week.

The coaches and players are now so media trained that you get bland, cautiously positive platitudes rather than meaningful insights. If you are not sure what I mean, listen when George Chuter is on, now retired and from less aware age. To be equitable, Simon Cohen does tend to be professionally open. I did enjoy it when the co-presenter was asked about his views of Stuart Lancaster. I didn't agree, but liked the honesty. I suppose Lancaster was never going to be on Radio Leicester, so they did not have to worry about offending him.

Martin Ballard (who I like as a broadcaster) doesn't so much ask questions and ask for confirmations of a statement he has just made (eg "Despite the defeat, there were many positive performances weren't there?).

I realise that in this multi-media age, anything said will be turned inside out by armchair critics such as us on here - so there is a need for some caution. Neither am I wanting whingeing or negativity, just pointing out that the caution of the exchanges can be a little dull

But I will still be listening
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

PAW wrote:Martin Ballard (who I like as a broadcaster) doesn't so much ask questions and ask for confirmations of a statement he has just made (eg "Despite the defeat, there were many positive performances weren't there?"
Must admit that really irks me too.

I listen to the podcast. I agree a lot of the players just say the right thing... Ben Youngs is one of the worst... though there are some better ones... Slater for example. The studio guests are pretty mixed - there are some excellent ones. IC is generally spot on. Basically it's very much a mixed bag.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I still miss The Crumbie Podcast. That was superb - nice to have an independent voice to listen to rather than the official line.

I do hope someone set up a new similar one at some point.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Like too many professional journalists and broadcasters, Martin Ballard is incapable of asking an "open" question. The one quoted is "leading" the interviewee to the answer MB wants, whether it is correct or not. "Closed" (yes/no answer), "leading", "hypothetical", "multiple part" questions where the interviewee can pick and choose which part to answer (usually the last element because that is the only bit they remember!), will never elicit the most informative and interesting responses, and will leave the interviewee nothing to probe - which is what should happen following the answer to an "open" question.

Don't get me started on Bleddyn.
Valhalla I am coming!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Listening to the Glaws after match podcast yesterday and I thought I heard Cockers say they had no problem with the plastic pitch at Falcons or Cardiff but the Sarries pitch was not fit for purpose. So are you tied to not playing specific people when at Allianz?
Bring back mud!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Snorbins wrote:Listening to the Glaws after match podcast yesterday and I thought I heard Cockers say they had no problem with the plastic pitch at Falcons or Cardiff but the Sarries pitch was not fit for purpose. So are you tied to not playing specific people when at Allianz?
Bring back mud!
That's what I picked up too. I wondered whether I'd misheard or misunderstood.
wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

Ed Slater said on last week's Rugby Show on RL that he wouldn't play on a plastic pitch again and would asked to be excused from the team, at least that is what I think he said in the discussion over his current injury.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

I love it and it's a great addition for the Tigers fan.

I listen each morning on the way to work on my podcast and just wish it could be published the night before.

It could be better with more open questions

Having the fans on is nice but doesn't really add anything unless their going to be controversial

It would be good for presenters to ask more open questions but also to pick up on the pints made - like Cockers is saying that the Allianz isn't fit for purpose so why? What's different about it to the other ones and what do Leicester propose to do about it ...

The Crumbie podcast was brilliant
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

wolverhampton_tiger wrote:Ed Slater said on last week's Rugby Show on RL that he wouldn't play on a plastic pitch again and would asked to be excused from the team, at least that is what I think he said in the discussion over his current injury.
Pretty much. Though it would be interesting to see if he would miss an play off semi at the Allianz when push came to shove.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Knightonian wrote:It would be good for presenters to ask more open questions but also to pick up on the pints made - like Cockers is saying that the Allianz isn't fit for purpose so why? What's different about it to the other ones and what do Leicester propose to do about it ...
There are different kinds of artificial pitch, they aren't all the same.

Not sure Leicester can do much about it.