Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bill W RIP

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The passing of a friend
The Boss and I first met Bill in Durban on the first night of the 2009 Lions tour hosted by Tigers. During our 2.5 weeks in South Africa with a few days at Vic Falls in Zambia, about ten of us formed a group that spent considerable time drinking, eating and talking together. This continued when we returned to the UK with all ten of us getting together each year for a table at Tigers Awards Nights as well as our RWC 2011 trip to Spain.
The Boss, I and Bill used to meet up at Nandos in Leicester before every home game where the house rules were the first person to arrive had to get the first bottle of wine, olives and nuts. It did not matter how early we arrived more often than not Bill had got there first, leaving us to buy the second bottle. After lunch, our visit to WR started in search of the Cask Ale to fortify us during the early stages of the match.
Bill was a true one-eyed Crumbie stalwart who had his seat in the back row so that he could stand when he wanted during matches.
We found Bill at all times to be a gentleman with a great sense of humour. He would wind people up in real life as on the forum with a twinkle in his eye. However apart from his obvious intelligence and knowledge, the thing we enjoyed most in his company was his ability to give and take banter.
He will be much missed – match day at WR will not be the same without him.
We will endeavour to 'Keep the Faith'
Jez

Only Winners Win!
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Enjoyed reading Bill's comments, many tongue in cheek that flew over one or two heads . RIP Bill, I will be raising a class to you on Saturday.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Really sorry to hear of Bills passing, he will be missed. I will toast him in Port as the Stilton reaches room temperature.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

I can only join in with everyone else in saying how much I have enjoyed following Bill through some of his many posts and for those who like a "discussion", with whom will you now debate ?

Thoughts and prayers to friends and family
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Oh dear, you will be greatly missed Bill.
Thoughts go to his nearest and dearest.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

A great loss to the rugby community as a whole. In one of my previous personas I enjoyed discussing with Bill many topics and as many have said before whilst not always agreeing he always put his point forward most eloquently.
2 points can any members let Belper John know, from memory they often jousted. Secondly it would be nice if the club acknowledged his passing in some way on Saturday. Even if only in the programme notes, it may set an unwelcome precedent but such a club stalwart surely deserves recognition.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Very sad news.

RIP Bill.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Sad news. As a relatively new poster, I enjoyed his comments. He always seemed to get to the heart of an argument, and I found myself agreeing with him more often than not.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Would it be possible for one who knew him well, like the OP, to email Gary Sherrard about a mention on matchday. I don't know where he actually sat, so if it could be labelled or somesuch, flowers could be left there? I don't know, jsut feel that members like him (and Noddy etc) deserve recognition even if only in their sad passing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

jgriffin wrote:Would it be possible for one who knew him well, like the OP, to email Gary Sherrard about a mention on matchday. I don't know where he actually sat, so if it could be labelled or somesuch, flowers could be left there? I don't know, jsut feel that members like him (and Noddy etc) deserve recognition even if only in their sad passing.
+1

Such sad news to hear and like so many, I thoroughly enjoyed his posts even if I often disagreed. He is a loss to tigers, the forum rugby throughout. My thoughts go out to his family and surely there is room for a mention in the program by one of the top table as he epitomises the club we all love.

Also, would it be possible to add a new category of user? After 10,000 posts, surely Super User could be superseded by Bill W sure and thus he will always remain part of this forum forever more.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Oh this is sad news, don't think I ever met Bill but sad news all the same!!

Rest in Peace!!!
#48 FTW :)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

He sat on the back row of the Crumbie, pretty much on half way. He mentioned that a few times as I remember. Shouldn't be a great hardship to ask Gary for a mention in the program or on the tannoy.
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Press office monitor the forum so I'm sure they'll pick up the depth of feeling.

I was going to suggest burning his seat in memory but that might bring the whole stand down
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Had the news today thanks to Jeremy. I never had the pleasure to meet Bill in real life and i will certainly miss it. I have read in posts since 2007. His sense of humour, his tireless support for his club will be missed as well. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Requiescat in Pace, may he rest in peace.

Rémi
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

A titan of the board, and a true Tiger. Rest well, and everyone else remember to

KEEP THE FAITH!