Home advantage to the final?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Home advantage to the final?

Post by ellis9 »

I am a little confused. I have heard various people say different things.

We have a home QF at Welford Road and if we win that do we get home country advantage? I thought we did! :smt017
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Home advantage to the final?

Post by Spicer »

I believe that is is correct. Home quarter followed by a home country semi, assuming we win the quarter final.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not necessarily. Winning away in your quarter final should be rewarded say EPR so the permutations are:

http://www.epcrugby.com/home.php
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It will be Racing in England, or Toulon in France.
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:
Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

NB The new format for the semi-final matches in the Champions Cup recognises performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home.

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

The final match will be played at a venue designated by EPCR.

2.5 In the event of a tie at full-time in the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores remain tied, the winner will be determined as follows:
(a) the club that scored the most tries in the match (including extra time) or
(b) if equal, by a place-kick competition.
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The system is explicitly designed that if an away team wins a quarter final then they get home country advantage in the SF. If two home or two away teams win then highest seed gets home country advantage.

The draw being in two halves we are already sure of an English team in the final as there are 4 English teams in the top half of the draw. Also home country is irrelevant.

In our half there are us and three French teams. Toulon are laughing as if they win whoever else wins they have a home country advantage in SF. If we win and they do then it's France as they are an away team and if SFP win and they win it's France (anyway) but evn if it'd been some other team they are a higher seed.

So effectively the only team in the entire contest the design of the SF can 'harm' is Tigers.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

DickyP wrote:So effectively the only team in the entire contest the design of the SF can 'harm' is Tigers.
Well that stands to reason. Come on Racing then!!!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

It is interesting to consider where the two semi-finals might take place if they are both to be played in England.

I don't think you could have one but not the other at Twickenham, and I doubt we would get two at Twickenham. Milton Keynes? Olympic Stadium?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I've been told ours is looking like it would be Pride Park or the City Ground.

I doubt the organisers would fancy a Twickenham semi final after last year, when about 14 people watched Saracens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I hope it's Pride Park out of those two, only because I've never been there.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Iain wrote:I've been told ours is looking like it would be Pride Park or the City Ground.

I doubt the organisers would fancy a Twickenham semi final after last year, when about 14 people watched Saracens.
THEY SHOULD HAVE ALLOWED DOGS IN!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote:I hope it's Pride Park out of those two, only because I've never been there.
I reckon that would be reasonable if we were to have a home SF against Racing. Had we potentially been against one of the other English sides, there could have been an argument to take it somewhere a little bigger, such as Villa Park or even up the M1 to Elland Road.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I would prefer the olympic stadium, but i may be biased given that it's only 20 mins from my house! Would knock at least 2 hours off my usual journey. More seriously, can't see the point in city ground or pride park. No bigger than king power and just awkward for everybody. Anyhow, need to win a QF first so no point worrying yet.
Joe The Tigers Fan
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Jose wrote:I would prefer the olympic stadium, but i may be biased given that it's only 20 mins from my house! Would knock at least 2 hours off my usual journey. More seriously, can't see the point in city ground or pride park. No bigger than king power and just awkward for everybody. Anyhow, need to win a QF first so no point worrying yet.
If I remember correctly you can't have it in the city in which you play, as it's home country advantage rather than home advantage, but I've been wrong before......
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Pride Park or the City Ground
Not wanting to really get ahead of myself and start talking about our SF in England… but these seem very 'left-field' possibilities. Neither were used in the RWC, unlike say Milton Keynes.

My understanding is that the SF are the weekend of 23/24 April so just to note:

Derby (capacity 33,500) are home the Sheffield Wednesday on 23rd April
Milton Keynes (capacity 30,500) are also home to Brentford on 23rd April
Forest are away (capacity 30,000), but I'd still be surprised if that was the SF venue
Coventry are away too, so Ricoh is empty (capacity 32,600)

Can't see any competition rules on stadium size but I think 30,000 would be the minimum.