Gouging

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Gramps

Gouging

Post by Gramps »

Anyone else notice Cole complain about a gouge at a ruck and mention it to the ref at the next line out
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gouging

Post by TigerLad »

Yep, clear video evidence for the Cole incident. Ayers was also complaining about gouging at HT and TY had a hand in his face before being yellow carded for a push. Really poor reffing from Clancy once again.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Obviously a Stade training pitch move. I remember talking to Martin Corry after a game at Stade and his face was a mess around his eyes. He said that he was, like others, gouged but nothing ever was done about it. Cole was definitely given a very through 'face-wash'.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Just seen the replay. The hand is clawed and that is a gouge, surprised the BT panel our defending him.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ayerza complained immediately after an incident in the first half, after Stade's second or third try. Oddly the local broadcaster chose not to replay any footage of either complaint or the "rucking" (stamping) on Adam Thompstone. Nice classy shoulder charge (by Slimani I think) on YBY's head/neck area after the try by our posts - which was what Barrow took exception to. Overall with too many miss-timed close ups, cameras pointing at the floor or all over the place, one got the impression that the work experience team was doing the TV direction.

The QF, if against Stade, could be interesting if any of them lead to citings.

Other than that, fair result!
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

I thought the TMO seemed much more interested in looking for faults in Tigers build-up play than actually keeping a look out for foul play. If there are a number of citings (big if) then the TMO needs to be seriously reviewed for sleeping on the job ...
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Bristol Tiger wrote:I thought the TMO seemed much more interested in looking for faults in Tigers build-up play than actually keeping a look out for foul play. If there are a number of citings (big if) then the TMO needs to be seriously reviewed for sleeping on the job ...
Agreed. While he may well have been right about the double movement, the only way he could have been more forceful would have been to say "you're wrong George". Having been overruled, he was absolutely determined to get Tommy Bell's try ruled out. Personally, I thought that Harrison's pass was flatflat.
Kjay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Kjay »

Did anyone notice how Ben got the scratch across the bridge of his nose and down his cheek? Haven't had a chance to re-watch the game yet but did notice during the match and thought from the marks that it was very close to his eyes.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Looks like the Mounties are already on the case according to Cockers

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I have to say I hate gouging probably more than any form of foul play in the game. No pun intended but it needs to be stamped out. A cowardly act that will ultimately lead to a top class player having their eyesight impaired. Year ban to anyone found guilty of doing it would not be unjust IMHO.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Gouging is not something alien to Stade in addition to the recent ban of Josaia Raisuqe for 15 weeks, David Attoub was given a 70 week ban in 2010 and Julien Dupuy was banned for six months in 2009. Is this behaviour at Stade just a coincidence or troublingly a modus operandi :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Gouging is a French problem even at amateur level. I have friends who have been gouged playing friendlies against French amateur sides. Appears to be part of the culture over there and accepted, but absolutely has to be stamped out. Does a player have to lose his sight for someone at the IRB, Top 14 rugby and European Cup to wake up and put a stop to this?
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

It is endemic and I the ref does not spot it then the TMO should tell him and it should be sorted out with cards at the time not citings after that even with bans may not effect future European games.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
NantionalFrog

Post by NantionalFrog »

Hi Guys,

You are a little bit harsh on this: You are right to mention that gouging might be a far too common french rugby cultural pattern (although not that frequent), but Dupuy and Attoub's bans were quite...weird since without any clear proof (Attoub being given 70 weeks on the basis of a single picture)

Speaking of picture, on Slimani/Youngs incident (bor which Youngs received a YC for punching immediatly after this), what is your opinion on this one ?

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/32146 ... oungs4.jpg

Nevermind, it will be fun and pleasure to visit Welfoard Road again in April.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Hi NantionalFrog and Welcome!
NantionalFrog wrote: but Dupuy and Attoub's bans were quite...weird since without any clear proof (Attoub being given 70 weeks on the basis of a single picture)
Without any clear proof........really? Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9aKZIh2CHc

I think that's pretty clear about Dupuy's act on that day - and I am a fan of Dupuy.

I don't think the picture you posted shows anything conclusive about eye contact by Tom Youngs. The still images that were shown of Cole having fingers around his eyes do not tell the story, the video showed far more contact in my opinion.

If no citings arise for Stade I will be surprised and will have lost a little more faith in the Rugby judicial system. I do not agree with some ex players (Dallaglio) that there was nothing in the Dan Cole incident.

I also do not accept the now common claims by observers that "There was no intent" in an act or that an act "Wasn't malicious" in all instances.

At some point we must stop making excuses for dirty play and dirty acts.

If there is more to the Tom Youngs incident then fair enough, let it be cited also.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.