Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Stade v Tigers

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:
Roly wrote:As I said, you can argue that the result didn't matter. It didn't really - not for the European Cup, but a win away would have given the team some confidence and momentum going into a long period without their international players now.
We aren't actually losing that many are we?
No, but then Tigers weren't denuded of international players during an international window either.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Roly - Have you taken a look at the team selection options available for the 6 Nations period?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote:Roly - Have you taken a look at the team selection options available for the 6 Nations period?
No, I'm sure its pretty good. However, I maintain it would have been better to beat Stade, thus maintaining momentum, and gaining confidence in an away win in France.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We will be missing Cole and Ben Youngs right?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

And there's the argument in a nutshell - 'it would have been better if...'

The world, including Tigers isnt perfect, nor is it permanently set to favour Tigers on all marginal calls.

An away win in Paris turned out to have been a 'nice to have' rather than a necessity, after the main job had been done in spades.

As it was there were plenty of positives
  • Manu getting more game time,
    Tommy Bell
    Harry Thacker
    Bell's disallowed 'Try' (which, if such things could be, deserved to stand on the basis of outstanding skill trumping a very marginal call which could have gone the other way
    an experience for much of the squad of an intimidating environment which isnt replicated anywhere in England - I was there
    sticking in the game when SFP threatened to get away
    oh, and the impact on team spirit and being 'up for it' arising from the tactics/personal assaults used by French players, much enhanced by the opportunity for 'come-uppance (I dont want to say 'revenge') in the QF
And perhaps others - all vastly overpowering the negatives.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Manu getting more game time,
Tommy Bell
Harry Thacker
I didn't see Thacker as a positive.
The time he was on I thought he was a loose cannon from a team perspective.
He was off on his own everytime with ball and conceded many metres in tackles.
I recall him breaking the line and going off at full speed straight for the line with no awareness of anything around him or any angles to run for continuity in the move.
It happened again just before the intercept try Tigers conceded.
The try he scored was good but it was an armchair ride provided by the rest of the pack.
The scrum and the tighthead in particular was under huge pressure against a side not known for the best scrummaging, fortunately Stade were very poor in staying on their feet.
I really don't rate him like Bell!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Tommy Bell
Harry Thacker
I recall him breaking the line and going off at full speed straight for the line with no awareness of anything around him or any angles to run for continuity in the move.
The try he scored was good but it was an armchair ride provided by the rest of the pack.
The scrum and the tighthead in particular was under huge pressure against a side not known for the best scrummaging, fortunately Stade were very poor in staying on their feet.
He probably thought he'd better try something outside of the scrum, since he is about as much use as Italian Infantry (1) whilst when he's in it.

(1) Very good at retreating or surrendering.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Main lessons for me:

Harry Thacker aint a number 2.

Peter Betham HAS TO START, best back this season with compliments to Veainu. Au revoir Goneva, Thompstone and Betham on the wings.

Manu is a 12 not a 13. How many times for England and Leicester do we have to watch his defensive errors at 13? 13 is hardest place to defend on the pitch, put him at 12 and limit the decisions he has to make. Tait was brilliant at 13 at controlling Manu and getting defenders to run into Manu's channel where he can smash them.

Backline Youngs, Burns/Williams, Thompstone, Manu, Tait, Betham, Veainu

If and when JDV is fit, in defence Manu has to be at 12 and attack 13.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Main lessons for me:

Harry Thacker aint a number 2.

Peter Betham HAS TO START, best back this season with compliments to Veainu. Au revoir Goneva, Thompstone and Betham on the wings.

Manu is a 12 not a 13. How many times for England and Leicester do we have to watch his defensive errors at 13? 13 is hardest place to defend on the pitch, put him at 12 and limit the decisions he has to make. Tait was brilliant at 13 at controlling Manu and getting defenders to run into Manu's channel where he can smash them.

Backline Youngs, Burns/Williams, Thompstone, Manu, Tait, Betham, Veainu

If and when JDV is fit, in defence Manu has to be at 12 and attack 13.
Good post!
Cheery chappy
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Perhaps Harry isnt a hooker - although some pretty good coaches seem to think he is/can be - but his play in the loose is phenomenal for a player of his age and merits a place in anyone's side. I saw him get isolated once on Sunday, after he'd beaten at least three players - his option would have been to kick ahead imho.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Any news on any citing sources resulting from this game?
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Tommy Bell
Harry Thacker
Hilarious - that is Thacker summed up in a nutshell
They guy is a loose cannon and a bit of liability, but at the same time he is a tremendous athlete. Pace, power and low centre of gravity. He is worth keeping and developing. Not quite sure what his best position would be though.

Referencing the other post regarding Manu. He is over weight, but he certainly isnt slow. I'd take an over weight Manu over plenty of other 12's in the Prem.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Hilarious - that is Thacker summed up in a nutshell
They guy is a loose cannon and a bit of liability, but at the same time he is a tremendous athlete. Pace, power and low centre of gravity. He is worth keeping and developing. Not quite sure what his best position would be though.

Sorry but where did it say liability or a temendous athlete?
He is neither!
Hilarious you say, but you question his position yourself!

He isn't a lifter or jumper in the lineout either so I don't know what is being achieved moving forward!
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
AliB

Post by AliB »

I just posted this on the gouging thread as well, they have cited two of the Stade players

Paul Gabrillagues et Laurent Sempéré cités

The link is to a French article but you can follow it well enough

https://www.francebleu.fr/sports/rugby/ ... 1453819114

PS I presume 'le talonneur' means the hooker in French - quite an appropriate name in the circumstances
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

AliB wrote:I just posted this on the gouging thread as well, they have cited two of the Stade players

Paul Gabrillagues et Laurent Sempéré cités

The link is to a French article but you can follow it well enough

https://www.francebleu.fr/sports/rugby/ ... 1453819114

PS I presume 'le talonneur' means the hooker in French - quite an appropriate name in the circumstances
'Talonneur' is hooker. Pretty cheap of the article to claim Tigers aren't sportsmanlike. Presumably gouging is sporting.

I know it's easy to wind up the French, Mooreo used to do it spectacularly well, but the replays shown on the big screens at Jean Bouin were designed to do just that. As others have remarked, no instances of SF foul play were re-shown and it was the same for the Insects match v Toulon the week before.