Euro Superleague thoughts

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Euro Superleague thoughts

Post by jgriffin »

Following the beginnings of speculation, i wonder if we are seeing some deliberate feelers being put out by some of the potential protagonists?
First Boudjellal, then:
http://tinyurl.com/hyt4guk

I think it is inevitable and have suggested 2020 as the season it will start. I also think that it might spell the end of any semblance of Tigers not being a rich cartel's toy. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Euro Superleague thoughts

Post by ellis9 »

No thanks! What is it with these people that keep coming up with stupid ideas to ruin this great game?!

For gods sake, it's fine as it is, leave it alone!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why would PRL teams such Worcester, Sale, Irish, Glous, Falcons, Bristol vote for it?

Why would we and maybe saints and Exeter go for it?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I think it is inevitable
Why?

I seem to remember the same was said in football circles approx. 30 years ago…
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Following the beginnings of speculation, i wonder if we are seeing some deliberate feelers being put out by some of the potential protagonists?
First Boudjellal, then:

I think it is inevitable and have suggested 2020 as the season it will start. I also think that it might spell the end of any semblance of Tigers not being a rich cartel's toy. :smt009
I have already supported you with the concept. I believe it is inevitable.

I think 2020 is likely too early. The Unions and WR are IMHO unlikely to reach agreement in that that timescale. Look how long it took to sort out the HC!

Both the Welsh and Irish would likely require some form of ring fencing and I am not at all sure the Italians and Scots could compete at all.

It would indeed mark the end (if that has not already occurred) of "Member Owned" Clubs.

The "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" would enjoy jet setting around Europe.
Still keeping the faith!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BillW2 I think you are a bit out of order with your prawn sandwich tag, my wife and I are both very ordinary folk but we really enjoy the Europe trips, yes it's expensive but just look at the commitment of John the Griffs away supporters, they travel everywhere and I would say they are the true Tigers supporters. You should try it sometime, not necessarily on the organised trips but like us under our own steam!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

No!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

LE18 wrote:BillW2 I think you are a bit out of order with your prawn sandwich tag, my wife and I are both very ordinary folk but we really enjoy the Europe trips, yes it's expensive but just look at the commitment of John the Griffs away supporters, they travel everywhere and I would say they are the true Tigers supporters. You should try it sometime, not necessarily on the organised trips but like us under our own steam!
LS18

When Tigers Events organised trips to European Games I went on many of them. And enjoyed them. Alas they no longer do.

John the Griff does a splendid job.

Tigers are more interested in "Premium" sales than in "ordinary" punters.

That is where the money is!
Still keeping the faith!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Given that Simon Cohen - and presumably the Board - are dead against expanding the Prem for very competent reasons, why on earth why would a Euro Super League appeal?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigercaspian wrote:Given that Simon Cohen - and presumably the Board - are dead against expanding the Prem for very competent reasons, why on earth why would a Euro Super League appeal?
More, higher, Premium customers! Increased sponsorship. Higher TV Revenue.
Still keeping the faith!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Just for the record, I do not want a Euro SuperLeague. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:Following the beginnings of speculation, i wonder if we are seeing some deliberate feelers being put out by some of the potential protagonists?
First Boudjellal, then:

Boudjellal is just throwing his toys out of the pram (again). The Welsh are really struggling at the moment, even in a league which is poor by its own standards this season. A Euro league would give them a more competitive league and give the WRU an excuse to reduce the regions to 3 or 2, reducing the regions power base, less cost to the WRU, but potentially a stronger national team. It would be a way of stopping them getting left behind by the spending power of French and English clubs. So yes, I can see the WRU being interested.

If it was to be a league, with home and away games, can't see it containing more than 14 teams across 6 or 5 nations so probably only 3 or 4 clubs each from England and France. Can't see PRL & LNR agreeing to that, especially as it would weaken the clubs power base when dealing with the RFU & FFR.

It would also need the current leagues and their TV contracts to come to a halt at the same time. I've no idea how long the various agreements are for but doubt that they coincide.

Can't see it happening once you start looking at what would need to happen for it to come into being.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
If it was to be a league, with home and away games, can't see it containing more than 14 teams across 6 or 5 nations so probably only 3 or 4 clubs each from England and France. .
Ha, ha! Ha, ha, ha!

Shall we start off with six each from England and France and two others?

:smt027
Still keeping the faith!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Premium customers only make a very small number of fans, and what's wrong with them? They are fans that want something different. Is there a problem with diversity here?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigersunited wrote:Premium customers only make a very small number of fans, and what's wrong with them? They are fans that want something different. Is there a problem with diversity here?
Nothing wrong with premium customers or diversity. Social engineering for profit?

I wager that when the new Crumbie is built there will be two new premium lounges and only "concourse" catering outlets!

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!