Confused

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Confused

Post by ellis9 »

In yesterday's match, after about 20 minutes, we had a penalty. Freddie Burns tapped it, then kicked it for Thompstone who didn't touch it but neither did a Treviso player. The ball hit the ground and rolled into touch. We then took a quick line out which the ref said was fine. Surely, as Burns tapped it, the penalty was taken so when the ball was then kicked and then rolled on to touch, should it not have been a Treviso lineout?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Confused

Post by Grimlish »

I think the officials thought a Treviso player touched the ball.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Are you sure Burns Tapped before kicking as IIRC the Ref said it was a penalty kick & as noone touched it penalty stood allowing a quick throw in.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not 100% sure he tapped it beforehand as I was sitting in the Met RX stand at the Goldsmiths stand end but at the time, it looked to me like he tapped it first.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The referee is the sole arbiter of fact!
Still keeping the faith!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I have to say I too thought he tapped it before executing the cross kick. I'll have to watch that back on tv again tomorrow and double check.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

22:17 on the match clock. (26:38 on the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEa4Wk9sopc

Ref heard to say "10, 10, 10...... that's fine"

Penalty kicked straight to touch IMO. If he tapped it it didn't show on camera in this video, camera was on Crane as ref says "10, 10 10...." after awarding us the penalty.

It was just before the ref caught Burns' inside pass - which came a phase after the quick throw in was taken. :smt023

There was no touch by a player from either team, ref definitive about that.

Treviso players queried whether it should be their throw in but ref said "from a penalty - I'm happy" meaning ball was kicked into touch from a penalty so it was Leicester's ball to throw in quick.

Hope that's the one that was meant?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

I think the Treviso players would justly feel aggrieved that the ref blew his whistle momentarily before Thompstone took the quick throw. A blow on the whistle indicates a stoppage in play. Secondly, it could be debated that 2 or more Treviso players were marking the line out before it was taken therefore preventing the quick throw.

Regardless, it's as Bill says!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I thought he tapped it and thought the same thing. I wondered if the ref had his back to him and didn't realise and touch judges seem to walk about with their eyes closed half of the time!