1=Racing 92
2=Sarries
3=Tigers
4=Ospreys
5=Toulon
6=Clermont
7=Wasps
8=Stade
Which means we will play Clermont at home,that is assuming that we lose in paris with a LBP.
But if we win in paris n sarries dont win in toulouse we will be top seeds therefore stade will be out and ulster will replace them so it might be ulster at welford rd.But if sarries n tigers win next weekend we will be 2nd seeds so we play wasps,my question is who would we prefer to play Clermont,Ulster or Wasps. :smt017
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Quarter finals for the ECC.

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think we could turn most teams over. Wasps will be gutted by that defeat. I have no love of Wasps after the 2 cups they stole from us..but they were mightily unlucky. But that's is what matey boy at Toulon pays for, it almost look inevitable in the last few phases they would score. We would have the beating of Wasps and Ulster at home but I would worry more about the French pitching up. Just glad we have qualified and have a chance to be in the top seeds. Bravo to Cockers and Madge.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reckon it will end up now being

1) Saracens
2) Racing
3) Leicester
4) Toulon
5) Ospreys
6) Wasps
7) Clermont
8) Saints
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Too close to call for me.

There will, however, be no Irish Region, and only one Welsh Province. Rest wil be English or French Clubs (three four or four three)

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Bill W (2) wrote:Too close to call for me.

There will, however, be no Irish Region, and only one Welsh Province. Rest wil be English or French Clubs (three four or four three)

:smt023
Or, no Irish Provinces and only one Welsh Region........ :smt002 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Lots of permutations left by my calculations. We win at SF and we've a good chance of top 2 seeding. Infact TBP win for us assures us top 2 seeding.

Ulster are still flying the Irish flag. If Wasps win with TBP then Toulon will need 5 points at Bath otherwise Wasps will win the group. Ospreys/Clermont is also a close one to call… what were Exeter thinking putting out the B team?

I'm a beating man and I wouldn't select our QF opponents at this stage! Going to be fun watching from the side-lines next weekend!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

MrPartridge wrote: I'm a beating man
Nothing to brag about! :smt002
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

What are the seedings based on? Is it most points in the pool? Cos that would make us 2nd seed currently wouldn't it?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

We are 2nd just now ads, but face a trip which must not be underestimated, against a team with both a place and pride to play for (and current Top14 champions), while Racing face a team with only pride to play for. If we win in Paris this coming w/e we will have deserved a great-looking route toward the final. If not we shall be 3rd placed most likely, and based on seedings would face a likely SF away to Racing, so again in Paris - the current Top14 leaders....
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

On current form I would choose Ulster who seem to be vulnerable away from Ravenshill. Wasps would be my second choice and Clermont last because they are capable of good things as we all know.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

If only we could choose our opponents....
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

It is worth looking at some of the other threads (e.g. v Treviso) as there are good explanations of how the seedings work (and it isn't straight-forward). Sadly we can win in Paris and still miss out on Top 2 seeding (which is important as seeds 3 and 4 can't get a 'home' SF). As others have said, we have to finish above Racing or Saracens on points as points diff is the tie-breaker and both are well ahead.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:

Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1) Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3) Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

NB The new format for the semi-final matches in the Champions Cup recognises performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home.

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, but the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1
If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country
If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage
If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home country advantage
If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage
If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home country advantage
If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage
If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage

The final match will be played at a venue designated by EPCR.

Looks like the only way to get a home semi final is to be second seeds and hope that the 3rd seeds also win there quarter final. There does not appear to be any way for the 3rd seeds to home country advantage.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Looks crazy to me, are they trying to get the worst ranked club to be champions? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like they are rewarding any away win in the quarters with home country advantage in the semis.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk