Quarter finals for the ECC.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Quarter finals for the ECC.

Post by Tomvarndell »

It is a bizarre scenario that a group winner could play the team who finished second to them in that group in the semi final.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

ads wrote:All out attack then for me. Go for the 4 tries. Fair enough we might conceed a couple but as long as we score more than them we'll be reet!!
Don't forget, that by the time we play we'll know what we need.
Toulouse v Safas saturday afternoon and Glasgow v Racing sat evening. Of these, I would say that Glasgow are more likely to stick a spoke in the wheels. And, while they are very unlikely to win, if they could stop the 4 tries our job gets a lot easier.

I'd still love to see a big win against stade though!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Loretta I'd just like to see a win against Stade 4 tries or not. Then we will know who we are playing because groups 1,3, and 5 play Saturday and Group 2 plays on Sunday like us.
Clive1960

Post by Clive1960 »

Slide rule abacus and bean counter at the ready
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

Pinot Tiger wrote:The semi stuff is a little odd to say the least. We can only finish in the top 3, but we will have to be in the top 2 for a chance at a home country semi. If we finish 3rd (or even for the 4th placed side) there is no chance we or they get a 'home' semi. Those pesky Rules simply don't allow it. The teams finishing the leagues in 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th, have a chance of a 'home' semi. That has got to be bonkers surely?
That is why we must go all out on Sunday and try to secure top 2 berth.
But don't forget that the 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th teams have the small matter of an away quarter final to negotiate first.
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

Indeed they have technologus, BUT they still have more chance of a home semi than the team that finishes 3rd, which has zero!
To Toulouse and beyond...
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Just to observe that the choice of semi final venue is not in the gift of the club with home country advantage so if the semi final is between, say, two English teams the seeding is rather irrelevant, as EPRC will choose the venue.

Agree that it is better to avoid a trip to France for semi, and 1 or 2 is perhaps best seeding, but only just. The biggest achievement is the Home quarter.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I've seen mention of Pride Park, Derby or City Ground, Nottingham should we get a 'home' semi. At least they'd be relatively nearby.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Does anyone know the stats on 'away wins' at QF & SF stages?

If the QF away win is such a rarity then some reward seems fair but it does seem strange that a team that heads up a group and then wins its home Qtr can end up facing a team it beat at group stage in an away SF. Surely there's a case for an exemption to the rule in such cases?

I don't want to start counting the proverbial but I'm also with those that think an away SF which is still in England could still be OK - we can get fans there in numbers which I reckon is what matters most.

I remember vividly being at the Semi at the Millennium as an example of an away SF win (just) for us, and that not even (quite) in England, but how many more have there been across the board?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Grimlish wrote:Does anyone know the stats on 'away wins' at QF & SF stages?
Sure I read/heard somewhere that there have been 11 away QF wins. Don't know about SFs.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Iain wrote:I've seen mention of Pride Park, Derby or City Ground, Nottingham should we get a 'home' semi. At least they'd be relatively nearby.
What about the Ricoh?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Quarter Finals

11 'away wins' in 76 games (no QFs in first year) is 14.5% (havent checked the 11 is correct)

Semi Finals

13 'away' wins in 40 games (source BBC & WIki - the erc stats no longer seem to be available direct) is 32.5%

So a 'home' QF is likely more important than a 'home' Semi, but both remain valuable objectives. Some of the 'home' venues are interesting eg a game in Bordeaux for Clermont.

We have an important game on Sunday.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

loretta wrote:
Iain wrote:I've seen mention of Pride Park, Derby or City Ground, Nottingham should we get a 'home' semi. At least they'd be relatively nearby.
What about the Ricoh?
The venues for the semi finals are decided by the organisers rather than the clubs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Indeed EPRC will call the tune on Semi Final venue. You can bet it won't be chosen for the convenience of the home country supporters. It will be TV and potential ticket sales that govern the choice and KO times. Tigers vs Wasps or Saints at Twickenham for example. Maybe a double bill at Twickenham with the Sarries perhaps. All that is for the future. One game at a time.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Here we go then: next 48 hours will sort it all out.

Whatever happens today I can't see much beyond a Tigers v Racing SF either in England or France. I'd love to see Sarries get beat but they are in form and Toulouse are awful. Toulon/Wasps and Clermont/ Ospreys pool will be super interesting! Really want to see Toulon miss out on a home QF but they are jammy so and sos!

A word on SF venues: dont see Derby! Maybe Milton Keyness for us v Wasps or Saints but that would leave lots of fans without a ticket so in some ways Twicks would make sense.