Tigers v Treviso Number 8's Crane or Robert Barbieri???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Treviso Number 8's Crane or Robert Barbieri???

Post by Chobbsy »

I have to agree it appeared that all Crane was interesting in doing was scoring for himself, there was no way in a month of Sundays he was going to pass.
wormus wrote:Yes we know Crane has not played for a few weeks but tonight he had a terrible game, held up through greed going for a try when there was space outside, a double movement going for a try, many times dropping the ball or just getting in the way.
Many in the Crumbie were shouting to replace him with the better Pearce but tonight ex Tiger Robert Barberieri was a better No.8 than Crane, why did we not send Crane to Treviso as we would surely have scored even more tries.
Sorry Crane time to go back to washing Cars & Coaches despite your chapped hands.
Next week we need McCaffrey and Pearce on the bench. :smt045
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Chobbsy wrote:I have to agree it appeared that all Crane was interesting in doing was scoring for himself, there was no way in a month of Sundays he was going to pass.
Except for when he made a superb pass under pressure and created Pearce's try...?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Iain wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:I have to agree it appeared that all Crane was interesting in doing was scoring for himself, there was no way in a month of Sundays he was going to pass.
Except for when he made a superb pass under pressure and created Pearce's try...?
It was a nice offload that took away two defenders but it was Croft's offload that made Pearce's try..you can obviously argue one never happened without the other but to say Crane made Pearce's try is doing Croft a disservice..
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I suggest a few watch the game again(it is on youtube), Jordon did not have a poor game, there were others who had indifferent parts to play in the match. The weather would have had a significant effect on all the players and just like last week against the sinners, we were better before the heavens opened, it happens.
Jordon knows his place is now not in the starting XV and was trying to play himself into contention, he was not the only one who knocked or got white line fever either.
I have a great dislike for people slagging players of our club, constructive criticism, fine, but just calling players poor or making sweeping statements that have no foundation in fact are poor(a bit like tabloid journos criticising Tom Youngs for example).It shows a lack of class and knowledge, collectively the team won the game and collectively they know what has to better next week.
I would expect a similar sort of rotated starting XV next weekend, with maybe a somewhat stronger bench.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

tigerburnie wrote:I suggest a few watch the game again(it is on youtube), Jordon did not have a poor game, there were others who had indifferent parts to play in the match. The weather would have had a significant effect on all the players and just like last week against the sinners, we were better before the heavens opened, it happens.
Jordon knows his place is now not in the starting XV and was trying to play himself into contention, he was not the only one who knocked or got white line fever either.
I have a great dislike for people slagging players of our club, constructive criticism, fine, but just calling players poor or making sweeping statements that have no foundation in fact are poor(a bit like tabloid journos criticising Tom Youngs for example).It shows a lack of class and knowledge, collectively the team won the game and collectively they know what has to better next week.
I would expect a similar sort of rotated starting XV next weekend, with maybe a somewhat stronger bench.
Whilst I agree slagging players off is poor form Crane was our first choice number 8 for many years and many of us on here are thankful that the management have finally after years come to realise he is not up to standard...Stating that as you do yourself does not lack class and definitely not a lack of knowledge having watched him for many years..

Maybe this is not aimed at me and some of the other posters are more cutting however as a third choice 8 Crane is alright would just be nice to see a Guy Thompson or the like there instead..

Where are all of our up and coming back rowers? Are none up to standard yet and are any on the horizon?
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

I am very anti-Crane but I don't think Treviso was that bad a game for him.

He is just clogging up game time though whenever he is played, would rather see Milne or more of Pearce. No idea why Pearce didnt start vs Treviso, perfect time for him to get some more mins.

Crane is just a poor athlete and isn't built for the modern game, I don't think we will see many more "ball playing/footballing" number 8s. You have to be either rapid in the Jack Clifford/ Kieran Read/Pierre Spies mould or a powerhouse like Vermeulen/Vunipola/Hughes mould.

Rugby is becoming more and more of an athletic game and its good to see Tigers have moved that way in last 12 months. Just let Crane go quietly now.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't think I've ever been anti any Tigers player in around 50 years of supporting the club. I never was good enough to play for my home towns side, but did my best at the level I played at. Now I cannot recall seeing anyone not trying their best this season, so why the vitriol against one of our own? Before this season, it was our coaching team and Cockers in particular that got the wrath of the keyboard warriors. What can people possibly expect to achieve from having a go at the player(whoever it may be, just happens to be JC this week). All for having a debate on selections and the whyfores and wherefores of certain players contribution, but to say a player can't pass when we all saw he did makes me make the statement that the posts lack both knowledge and ergo class for having a go at one of our own. As I said, he knows his position within the clubs starting XV is perilous. But I haven't forgot what a great servant he has been and saw his contributions at the weekend. Not our starting 8 now? maybe not, but he still has plenty offer and will get my support. If the club decide he plays, fine, if not? so be it(and that applies to any other player too), it's a team and this can add up to more than the sum of the individuals.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

tigerburnie wrote:I don't think I've ever been anti any Tigers player in around 50 years of supporting the club. I never was good enough to play for my home towns side, but did my best at the level I played at. Now I cannot recall seeing anyone not trying their best this season, so why the vitriol against one of our own? Before this season, it was our coaching team and Cockers in particular that got the wrath of the keyboard warriors. What can people possibly expect to achieve from having a go at the player(whoever it may be, just happens to be JC this week). All for having a debate on selections and the whyfores and wherefores of certain players contribution, but to say a player can't pass when we all saw he did makes me make the statement that the posts lack both knowledge and ergo class for having a go at one of our own. As I said, he knows his position within the clubs starting XV is perilous. But I haven't forgot what a great servant he has been and saw his contributions at the weekend. Not our starting 8 now? maybe not, but he still has plenty offer and will get my support. If the club decide he plays, fine, if not? so be it(and that applies to any other player too), it's a team and this can add up to more than the sum of the individuals.
+1
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Crane deserves much better than to have people declaring themselves 'anti-Crane'. A consistent unsung hero for the thick end of a decade. At times he has been outstanding. He had a very good season last season, I don't care what the blinkered view was. He was in the side ahead of Waldrom the previous season on merit, it is often forgotten Waldrom was badly out of form and a liability in defence that season. Crane was consistently a steady, secure and reliable 8 who would never let you down.

This season he's slipped down the pecking order because we are playing a completely different style that isn't a good fit for him. McCaffrey has come in and been outstanding to a level that nobody expected. Pearce has developed no end and looks the real deal. We've also brought in Fonua who is a better fit for our style, although I'm not convinced for a number of reasons he'll be a success.

He's been a superb servant to the club, a real clubman who has been a bigger contributor to the successes we've had over the last decade than the myopic view seeming to perpetuate from the average online supporter. He probably needs a move soon in order to end his career with regular rugby for a few years. He'll go to somewhere like Worcester or London Irish and be an important player for them.

The treatment he gets from some so-called supporters is disgusting. But then I remember how Leon Lloyd was treated by those who forgot the 2001 final in Paris, or how Goode was treated despite winning is countless games with his accurate goal kicking. Hell, even Stimpson got some of that treatment at times too.

Certain elements have always needed a scapegoat. This year it seems to be Crane. Shame that.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Never has a man been more self righteous than Iain :smt003

Gems such as
the myopic view seeming to perpetuate from the average online supporter
will go down in forum history for unprecedented cringe levels..

I agree Crane should not be scapegoated he has always been reliable and extremely solid at the base of a scrum...the modern game has just moved past him and as darganj put he does not have the athleticism or physique to win the collisions you need to from an 8 today..
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It appears to be the average view of supporters online that Crane is useless. This is pretty myopic as it overlooks his obvious qualities and his contribution to this club.

Self-righteous? If you like.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I was ill and so could not attend match so watched closely on TV. I think Jordan is frustrated that he is no longer the first choice. On Saturday we were quite dominant early on and Jordan saw it as a great opportunity to get his name on the score sheet to show that he, like his more dynamic mates, is still around and should warrant more consideration.
He failed to score, was greedy to some extent and that is probably why this artical arose.
He realsed, or was told, to stop trying to play like Maccaffery and to revert to the roll he fulfills best. He changed, did this and demonstrated this by his control at the base of the scrum and that has won the support of half of you on here.
We all know he has been a good servant to the club, but he has always lacked pace, now we are seeing dynamic players coming in abundance to replace him, unlike the one on one with Waldrom.
I don't see him moving on, Tigers tend to hang on to good servants, I see something being found for him.
Unfortunate for Fonua to get injured again, but I think the club have got a lot of work to do on him, weightwise and effort, if he is to be any use, i don't see him as our future he is not in the new mould.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

A fair summary I think LE18! :smt023
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

Iain wrote:Crane deserves much better than to have people declaring themselves 'anti-Crane'. A consistent unsung hero for the thick end of a decade. At times he has been outstanding. He had a very good season last season, I don't care what the blinkered view was. He was in the side ahead of Waldrom the previous season on merit, it is often forgotten Waldrom was badly out of form and a liability in defence that season. Crane was consistently a steady, secure and reliable 8 who would never let you down.

This season he's slipped down the pecking order because we are playing a completely different style that isn't a good fit for him. McCaffrey has come in and been outstanding to a level that nobody expected. Pearce has developed no end and looks the real deal. We've also brought in Fonua who is a better fit for our style, although I'm not convinced for a number of reasons he'll be a success.

He's been a superb servant to the club, a real clubman who has been a bigger contributor to the successes we've had over the last decade than the myopic view seeming to perpetuate from the average online supporter. He probably needs a move soon in order to end his career with regular rugby for a few years. He'll go to somewhere like Worcester or London Irish and be an important player for them.

The treatment he gets from some so-called supporters is disgusting. But then I remember how Leon Lloyd was treated by those who forgot the 2001 final in Paris, or how Goode was treated despite winning is countless games with his accurate goal kicking. Hell, even Stimpson got some of that treatment at times too.

Certain elements have always needed a scapegoat. This year it seems to be Crane. Shame that.
Eloquently put. Couldn't agree more.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Iain wrote:he made a superb pass under pressure and created Pearce's try...?
Crane has always shown signs of playing like this over recent seasons, but always seemed to be told to just bosh it up. I hope Crane excels under Mauger, because his solidity at the base of any breakdown mixed with this style of offload will ultimately benefit everyone!