England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:There may be something in the penalties thing, though again I'd love to see statistics for this.

The only thing to my mind that makes sense in this is that Jones likes his hookers to strike at the ball so his scrum can win good, clean, quick ball and the backs can be released quickly. For all his strengths, and there are many, that isn't one of them.

Even with that caveat I'd still have him in the squad every time, but I suspect that it's a matter of style rather than ability.
Spot on I'd say.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:
Iain wrote:There may be something in the penalties thing, though again I'd love to see statistics for this.

The only thing to my mind that makes sense in this is that Jones likes his hookers to strike at the ball so his scrum can win good, clean, quick ball and the backs can be released quickly. For all his strengths, and there are many, that isn't one of them.

Even with that caveat I'd still have him in the squad every time, but I suspect that it's a matter of style rather than ability.
Spot on I'd say.
Stop agreeing with me. It confuses me. :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Roly wrote:

Spot on I'd say.
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there was an article in one of the broadsheets yesterday intimating that he'd been told that he needed to increase his tackle counts and carrying. If that's true then that's just bonkers. Tom frequently tackles himself to a standstill and carries as well as any forward in the Premiership. If he'd said that his throwing needs work you could understand it, but to tell him his work around the park, which is his trademark, needs work that's just crazy.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The Telegraph is becoming a tabloid in broadsheet size these days. I'm not sure how much of that I'd believe.

If true (which I doubt), that would be completely bonkers of course.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:The Telegraph is becoming a tabloid in broadsheet size these days. I'm not sure how much of that I'd believe.

I don't believe it either. Youngs has been dropped because his set piece isn't tidy enough. Jones is an Aussie he wants lightening fast and accurate in to out...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Iain wrote:The Telegraph is becoming a tabloid in broadsheet size these days. I'm not sure how much of that I'd believe.

Agreed I read this yesterday and was incredulous. Just can't be right.
Soggypitch
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Iain wrote:The only thing to my mind that makes sense in this is that Jones likes his hookers to strike at the ball
Which is exactly what Tom did in the Treviso game, and no more or less than Harley or George did this weekend.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Conspiracy theory.....

Tom Youngs and Tom Wood were both dropped as EJ thought it was pathetic that they didn't want overseas players in the World Cup squad........
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:
Iain wrote:The only thing to my mind that makes sense in this is that Jones likes his hookers to strike at the ball
Which is exactly what Tom did in the Treviso game, and no more or less than Harley or George did this weekend.
Yes I spotted that too. I'm now at a loss.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:
Norfolk & Goode wrote:
His set-piece was also solid. It was alluded by the commentary team that the perception is that it usually isn't. It's all about perception though - if EJ thinks that Youngs' set-piece is flaky, then little will change his mind. Personally, I think Youngs IS erratic at set-piece.

Hartley playing again - and shock horror, now he's fit is the 1st choice hooker for his team - and he looked pretty good.

The oversight of Youngs has raised some eyebrows. EJ must have a good reason, we must hope that his selections are justified by reward.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

One thing for certain, England's loss is Tigers' gain. With Giraldini and Bateman both injured, Tom's presence will be a blessing for us.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Hinckley Bob wrote:One thing for certain, England's loss is Tigers' gain. With Giraldini and Bateman both injured, Tom's presence will be a blessing for us.
Can you just remind the CA bleating about his exclusion of this fact please?
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Iain wrote:
Norfolk & Goode wrote:
The EPS was picked before this weekend's games.

If OTY continues to strike for the ball and throw well, perhaps he's in with a shot of a recall to the EPS. Because he's got everything else sorted already (and his set-piece weaknesses are slightly exaggerated).

Eddie J was already somewhat biased against Youngs during the WC, so Tom was always going to have to go extremely well to overcome that. Jones actually went so far as to call him "a small and weak scrummager"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rug ... 617f4b8f0d

No surprise to see him dropped after a comment like that, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see him forcing his way back into the reckoning either. Good time for Tigers to keep hold of him for a few weeks.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

darganj wrote:Conspiracy theory.....

Tom Youngs and Tom Wood were both dropped as EJ thought it was pathetic that they didn't want overseas players in the World Cup squad........
Despite the fact that he's gone on to confirm he will not select overseas players himself.

Yeah... could be that...

... or he is one of the very large number who think Youngs' core hooker skills are not of international standard. And that Wood hasn't performed well for a while.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

4071 wrote:
darganj wrote:Conspiracy theory.....

Despite the fact that he's gone on to confirm he will not select overseas players himself.

Yeah... could be that...

... or he is one of the very large number who think Youngs' core hooker skills are not of international standard. And that Wood hasn't performed well for a while.
How are your lessons in banter coming along? When do you get your first badge?

Everyone knows why Tom Youngs hasn't been picked except the one eyed on here.

Surprised a few haven't been calling for Slater as England captain again.........