England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:It is called a great decision but anyone watching Itoje this season can see it is a no brainer....
Absolutely. Some would say overdue.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't disagree with most of that, however, bringing in young players with potential, some even bypassing age grade rugby, is a tactic that appears not to have harmed the All Blacks too much.

The game has evolved, the Southern Hemisphere sides embrace this fact, which is arguably why they do so well.

Itoje is a poor example of rushing a player in. He has already played at England age grade level, he has captained an age grade international side. He's ripping up trees at club level (including in Europe)and is quite clearly a precocious talent. His call-up for the England senior squad is called as a great decision by punditry. This could actually be one case that merits youth over experience. If he isn't selected, then we'd never know.
One big difference between England and New Zealand though Roly, and that is that the All Blacks have been doing it around a successful senior group where as England have been throwing youngsters into an already struggling environment, that makes things very difficult considering the gulf between levels, its asking the impossible of everyone to gel it all together.
England had success in 2003 and lots of player retired as expected, they eventually had a strong 2007 world cup but since then they have got desperate (MJ excepted) such has been the level of expectation.
It would be better to show some faith in more senior players and allow them time to bed in (not bin them so easily) and try and achieve a certain level before throwing the talented kids in around them.
Allow those kids time in league rugby and it would be better all round.
Desperation is getting the better of everyone, just my opinion.
It is called a great decision but anyone watching Itoje this season can see it is a no brainer....
I tend to agree from what I have seen and have little doubt that Itoje will do well but rugby is certainly one sport that shows people up to be only human.
Look back at Launchbury and what happened to him and know senior international rugby can be brutal for experienced mature players let alone youngsters.
I hope England don't ruin Itoje!
Cheery chappy