England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England Squad - OTY Dropped !!!!!

Post by Isambard »

After 28 caps and a Lions tour I guess Tom has the maturity t be able to think this one out. I have great hopes for Eddie but hope he doesn't do the English thing of picking a captain and then fitting him into the team. All Hartley brings to the field is the increased probability of England playing with 14 men.
Latecomer

Re: England Squad

Post by Latecomer »

Personally I support Tigers first and England second. I'm delighted Tom Youngs isn't in the squad. Means he can continue to play for us and not come back knackered or injured in March in time for the run in to the end of the domestic season.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England Squad

Post by northerntiger »

Noddy555 wrote:lET'S START A JONES OUT MOVEMENT. His selections are pathetic and he didn't have the guts to stand up against the stuffed shirts who run the RFU regarding Steffan Armitage and Nick Abendanon. No wonder Armitage is thinking of becoming a French citizen as that's the only way he'll get to play international Rugby apart from the Barbarians. To say I'm fuming is an understatement.
Or he could move back to England. Stop trying to re start that tedious old arguement
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

OTY -EJ is apparantly of the opinion his lineout throwing is not up to scratch + his hooking....
Otherwise he is 110%
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:That is an absolutely mental decision. Youngs is ahead of Hartley in absolutely every measure you could wish to use at this moment in time. Ridiculous.
Apart from his absolutely abysmal line-out percentages at international level....

Youngs carries better (actually that's a perception that isn't borne out by statistics), but Hartley is an enforcer. Hartley hasn't played due to injury, and there is plenty of time before the 6N to get fit.

I like the squad, it has potential and wont be tainted by the old coaching staff's mantra in the main.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scapegoat for the scrum at RWC? Great news for us though.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Gutted for Tom. No way is he behind LCD. The only one who will be cheering is Brian Moore.

Otherwise a good squad, pleased to see Clifford, Devoto, Itoje, Kvesic and Yarde. Also pleased for Robshaw who has been outstanding at 6 this season. Not surprised about Wood and Morgan being left out, but I am surprised Thomas is in ahead of Wilson.
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:This just shows that we can expect the same old trash from Eddie Jones that we got from Stuart Lancaster, not to name Tom Youngs in his squad is a crime beyond all belief. Not only is Youngs playing the best Rugby of his career this season, he is by far and away the in form hooker not
only in the Aviva premiership but throughout the British Isles. He also names people who are not in form and some who are still in fact injured or didn't he watch any of the Aviva matches except Tigers v Saints last Saturday? He hasn't named Exeter's pairing of Parling and Waldrom who are also playing out of their skins this season. The French have a word for this selection and it's INCROYABLE.
Since he's had a good clear out, its hardly indicative of 'the same old trash' and as for leaving tom Youngs out, its hardly a crime.

There's far too many precious people here. England's (so called) loss is the club's gain then isn't it?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Got some handy draws 6N's period

Sale
Falcons
Quins - on a rest weekend but England starters will not play for club
Irish
Exeter - Rest weekend
Wasps
Saracens

Tommy being with us gives us a huge boost.
animalnitrate
Tiger Cub

Post by animalnitrate »

I think over the coming months we will see the likes of Robshaw and Marler dropped from the squad as well.

Bizarre RFU rules only allows Jones to make 10 changes from the world cup squad. Further down the line other players will be phased in.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

I have to say, I'm puzzled as to why Devoto has been picked. He is not even 1st choice IC at Bath and lacks pace.

Is there a saxons squad, and if so is T Youngs in that?
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Line out throw not always great, Tigers scrum going backwards this season and wasn't there a bit of a altercation with Borthwick at Sarries a couple of seasons ago?

Take your pick.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

He hasn't been picked because his line out accuracy hasn't been international standard this season. Particularly in the last few games.

I would have picked him, IMO his leg drive, carry, scrummaging abilities and energy out weigh the problems he's had this year.

England's loss is our gain.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wait and see. IMO the less we have to do with it at this point the better. EJ's Saffas/Bath bias is clear and IMO is the input from Borthwick/Gustard that is a factor. I will be happy if McCaffrey, OTY, Cipiani and the others who actually MERIT a place continue to shaft the ones who got in.

FWW I think it's a half-shylite squad, but it's the next change post 6N that matters.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Guinness&Nuts wrote:I have to say, I'm puzzled as to why Devoto has been picked. He is not even 1st choice IC at Bath and lacks pace.
I am surprised too. I gather he is a sub for Manu, but I would have gone with Eastmond