Behaviour at Welford Road.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Iain »

This thread is serving to remind me that I don't really miss the terrace. Can see the whole pitch, can get to my seat 10 minutes before kick off with no problems and the attitude seems to be a lot better. And you stay dry!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Iain wrote:This thread is serving to remind me that I don't really miss the terrace. Can see the whole pitch, can get to my seat 10 minutes before kick off with no problems and the attitude seems to be a lot better. And you stay dry!
Do you have a tartan rug and bring a flask of soup?

Miss you at "smokers corner"!

:smt006
Still keeping the faith!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

At the risk of being shot down are we making mountains out of mole hills? How much of a REAL problem is it? Is it a small minority or a real issue?

Don't shoot me down - I'm trying to get a realistic perspective.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Glad to read some posters agree that sectioning of the terrace may go some way to sort out the migration issue - everyone pay the same price to stand at present but the views from the ends may not be as good as the views from the middle. this may lead to differential pricing like we have in the rest of the ground which may or may not be a good idea - not sure myself
Hehehehehehehehe
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

trendylfj wrote:Glad to read some posters agree that sectioning of the terrace may go some way to sort out the migration issue - everyone pay the same price to stand at present but the views from the ends may not be as good as the views from the middle. this may lead to differential pricing like we have in the rest of the ground which may or may not be a good idea - not sure myself
Ah! Put the prices up for the middle! The Club will buy into this! Good suggestion! Receive a brownie point! :smt006
Still keeping the faith!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

rocktop51 wrote:At the risk of being shot down are we making mountains out of mole hills? How much of a REAL problem is it? Is it a small minority or a real issue?

If you're a parent, with young kids, it's an issue anywhere in the stadium - and it only needs to happen once. That said, where we are we've only suffered from drunkards once (they weren't regulars there), and they only chirped up after HT when the opposition replacements appeared at our end.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

rocktop51 wrote:At the risk of being shot down are we making mountains out of mole hills? How much of a REAL problem is it? Is it a small minority or a real issue?

I guess if like Iain you sit in the relative peace of the MET-RX, or like me sit in the boisterous but polite Crumbie it is a molehill. However, should you stand on the terrace and get pused and shoved around have beer thrown over you and are subject to foul language it is a mountain!
Still keeping the faith!
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I don't believe that the issue is just one for the terrace, as at the weekend there were issues in other parts of the ground.
However, it does seem to be worse on the terrace. The issue of pens on the terrace would help, but not solve the problem, as I have seen a similar problem, many times at Northampton.
Where you have so called human beings and alcohol, it will always happen. What the club need to do is to lessen the impact of the 1%, on the well behaved 99%.
The idea to prevent people entering the terrace from the centre of the tunnel for the last 15 minutes before kick off, could work. The terrace ends are nearly always the last to fill!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

jgriffin wrote:

Away supporters are generally rather pleasant, if a little irritating au Chiefs style occasionally.....
Chiefs fans are a joy in comparison to many AP club supporters, and in my experience, behaved much better on the terraces than their counterparts at Welford Rd.

The way the Crumbie is managed is an issue, as has been said, other methods seem to work well at other grounds.

Loutish behaviour? You open the bars before and during a match and cram 25000 people into a ground. The law of averages says that a percentage will behave in a way that you find irritating.

Me think some doth protest too much.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Iain wrote:This thread is serving to remind me that I don't really miss the terrace. Can see the whole pitch, can get to my seat 10 minutes before kick off with no problems and the attitude seems to be a lot better. And you stay dry!
Do you have a tartan rug and bring a flask of soup?

Miss you at "smokers corner"!

:smt006
I gave up smoking six years ago :smt030
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Stood on the terrace for many years, Yes there can be a bit of laddish behaviour,but I would call it banter between home and away fans, but very rarely hear obscene languish,

As for the problem of " Drunk " fans, yes I go for a few beers before, during and after the game, but to me its a day to relax, have a beer or 3 and watch a good rugby team.

Isn't that the whole rugby ethos ?

Why blame the club for drunk fans ? Did the club instruct wetherpsoons to build a chain of pubs that open at 8am and sell beer at less than £2 a pint and make it socially acceptable to be drunk by lunch time ?

The whole sporting/ social event has changed just look at Cricket, it used to be a relaxing day out, with the incarnation of the 20/20 it is now just a 4 hours night time disco and :censored: up for a lads night out
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Accepted that the behaviour was totally wrong but I think it was directed more at Wayne Barnes than the Northampton players and fans. This must rank as his worst performance ever at Welford Road.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Accepted that the behaviour was totally wrong but I think it was directed more at Wayne Barnes than the Northampton players and fans. This must rank as his worst performance ever at Welford Road.
a) No it wasn't directed at Barnes. Have you actually read what was said in this thread?
b) No it wasn't his poorest display. He refereed the game well.
c) Even if poor behaviour is directed at Barnes that would still be abhorrent.
d) How do you know? You sit with the prawn sandwich club!!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

In the Goldsmiths where I used to sit (bronze rows now changed to silver) the only times there was foul language and ignorance was during evening games when people had had more time for drinking. These people were in the silver seats and were not regulars and may have had freebies.

and yes the stewards have to be notified and if they shrug their shoulders then the chief steward needs to be summoned. Trouble is it spoils watching the game and provides anxiety at an enjoyable occasion.
gr3g

Post by gr3g »

Bill W (2) wrote:Do you have a tartan rug and bring a flask of soup?
Sadly my last experience of this type of fluid transfer was a couple of weeks ago when the contents of a flask of tomato soup was inadvertently sprayed from the seats above on to the back rows of the terrace.

A fight nearly broke out when the perpetrator refused to throw croutons and some seasoning at us as well... ;)