Behaviour at Welford Road.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Little Bowden, South Leicestershire

Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Bowden Tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:54 pm

On Saturday I was aware of some pretty awful behaviour on the Crumbie Terrace. I have since spoken to others, who said that there were similar issues on other parts of the ground.
It seemed to be alcohol fuelled, and was totally unacceptable. There were many young children and women at the game, as always. It was embarrassing, and I have contacted the club to make them aware, as if the stewards have not already.

Do others feel that we need some sort of restriction on alcohol sales, such as the bars closing 15 minutes before kick off, until after the game?
The problems that I saw, was where 2 individuals, each with 2,2 pint jugs, pushed their way in to the crowded terrace at kick off. They proceeded to spend the next couple of hours being foul mouthed, obnoxious, individuals, having little interest in the game.

Do we have to accept this type of behaviour, or should we do something about it?
My view is that we should remember that this a family club, and we should not accept it.

Iain
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8161
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:39 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Iain » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:57 pm

I think shutting the bars would be unnecessary. Most of us manage to have a drink and successfully not act like an oaf, so why punish the many for the actions of the few?

Why not just actually tackle the bad behaviour and remove people for contraventions of the terms and conditions of your entry to the ground...?

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Bill W (2) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:03 pm

I agree with Ian. If you encounter oafish behaviour report it to the Stewards at the time!
Still keeping the faith!

Roly
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2351
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Roly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Judging by the constant whining on the 'catering feedback' article, I'm amazed anyone can get served a pint at all at the ground, on account of how poor the service is.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.

Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Little Bowden, South Leicestershire

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Bowden Tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:10 pm

It was reported on Saturday, on several occasions. That is why I have raised it with the club. I also agree that it is just a few spoiling it for the majority.
However, I have to ask why we go to Welford Road. Is it to drink for 4 hours, or to watch rugby?

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by LE18 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:11 pm

I think the 2 pint jugs have a lot to answer for, previously people might buy 2 x1 pints which they can easily hold in their hands but the 2 pint gravy jugs are unwieldy and double the quantity of alcohol consumed.

Another problem is that some of them walk along the gangway at the last minute to try to get a place, others that have taken their own position up to an hour in advance do not like these late comers just pushing in at the front, mostly large individuals, and blocking their view.

I think the stewards don't help, they want them off the walkways and push them in under the barriers instead of saying, no go to the end of the terrace, you came late and therefore you have to stand in wherever is left, not the best positions.

Roly
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2351
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Roly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Bowden Tiger wrote:It was reported on Saturday, on several occasions. That is why I have raised it with the club. I also agree that it is just a few spoiling it for the majority.
However, I have to ask why we go to Welford Road. Is it to drink for 4 hours, or to watch rugby?
You go for the social and the match, so both.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.

floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by floridaboy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

LE18 wrote:I think the 2 pint jugs have a lot to answer for, previously people might buy 2 x1 pints which they can easily hold in their hands but the 2 pint gravy jugs are unwieldy and double the quantity of alcohol consumed.

Another problem is that some of them walk along the gangway at the last minute to try to get a place, others that have taken their own position up to an hour in advance do not like these late comers just pushing in at the front, mostly large individuals, and blocking their view.

I think the stewards don't help, they want them off the walkways and push them in under the barriers instead of saying, no go to the end of the terrace, you came late and therefore you have to stand in wherever is left, not the best positions.
The terrace is becoming an issue. The amount of fans that turn up 5 mins before kick off and DEMAND that they get on to a piece of the terrace that they want is getting stupid.
Last week I saw a couple of guys push past a steward who had already told them that the terrace at that point was full, calling him a t**t and a "jumped up little w****r".
I'm sorry to say that it has the possibility of being worse this Saturday with the late kick off giving them the chance to drink into oblivion !

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7133
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by tigerburnie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Maybe an all seater stand would solve the problem?
There's a bit of a party atmosphere around Bath this afternoon - but you wouldn't get that at Leicester if we finished ninth." Richard Cockerill 7/5/16

Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Little Bowden, South Leicestershire

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Bowden Tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Roly, I also like a pint, or two, but I believe it's got worse this year. I don't want to be a killjoy, but around us people were questioning whether they should take their children / grandchildren again. That is not what the club wants, or the game!

catflap
Tiger Cub
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by catflap » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm

I think the main problem on Saturday was the number of part time rugby fans who were there ie football fans. There were considerably more people with no club colours/shirts etc than normal. Don't take this as me saying that casual fans shouldn't turn up, but they need to appreciate that we have a different set of standards to soccer fans.

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by JackFlashJonny » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Someone needs to tell these people to shut up and have some respect..

When I went on boxing day and stood having got there early I found that many people (who were all young men actually) came late and were trying to get as close to the front as possible..

They then preceded to go to the bar 3 times during the match..whilst not being a huge deal is rather annoying..all these factors affect the match day experience and when you are asking people to pay £30 to stand need to be sorted out or the cost outweighs the enjoyment..

That coupled with the fact you can't get chips inside the ground and we have some of the most awful catering staff known to man means in my opinion the cost for one off games outweighs enjoyment...which is very disappointing..

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1568
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by biffer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm

floridaboy wrote:
LE18 wrote:I think the 2 pint jugs have a lot to answer for, previously people might buy 2 x1 pints which they can easily hold in their hands but the 2 pint gravy jugs are unwieldy and double the quantity of alcohol consumed.

Another problem is that some of them walk along the gangway at the last minute to try to get a place, others that have taken their own position up to an hour in advance do not like these late comers just pushing in at the front, mostly large individuals, and blocking their view.

I think the stewards don't help, they want them off the walkways and push them in under the barriers instead of saying, no go to the end of the terrace, you came late and therefore you have to stand in wherever is left, not the best positions.
The terrace is becoming an issue. The amount of fans that turn up 5 mins before kick off and DEMAND that they get on to a piece of the terrace that they want is getting stupid.
Last week I saw a couple of guys push past a steward who had already told them that the terrace at that point was full, calling him a t**t and a "jumped up little w****r".
I'm sorry to say that it has the possibility of being worse this Saturday with the late kick off giving them the chance to drink into oblivion !
At Thomond Park, the terracing is sectioned. This means that they can close each part when it is deemed full (and ticket each section separately). Finding a way to do this for busier games might be an option - the terracing tickets are sold in four sections on the ticketing website but this is never enforced.

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1841
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by trendylfj » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Perhaps one possible solution to the problem is to not have any access to the terrace from under the crumbie (only exit) and entrance only at the ends. I would increase the stewards and instruct the stewards to not allow latecomers to move towards the centre by forming a moving barrier which moves toward the ends as the terrace becomes full. They would not allow sections of the stand to overfill so why do they do it in the standing part of the ground.

Saints have their stand parts sectioned in order to not overfill and it seems to work well there so if this continues to be a problem then maybe we should consider it. I am not a H + S expert and I am sure there may be reasons why this is not possible. It would also need some sort of exit pass out of your section so as to enable you to get back to the section where you have come from unless we go down route of the season ticket linked to a section of the standing.

I totally agree with you Biffer - you beat me by seconds to make that suggestion
Hehehehehehehehe

MJSRacer
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 am
Location: Leicester

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by MJSRacer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 pm

I personally hate the idea of the "pig-pens" at places like saints, feels very restrictive and they are far to small for the number of people on there. Also cause issues if your stuck behind a tall person etc

Agree with restricting the entry points to the 2 ends of the terrace.

Another solution would be to reduce the capacity by 250-500 people, yes it won't stop idiots turning up 5 minutes before k.o. but will at least give a bit more space.
Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here), Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here),I'd rather be a Tiger, rather be a tiger, rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here)!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests