Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

JP Pietersen - Tigers go Saffa again

Post by tigercaspian »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35280733

After JDV we'll have to be careful about what we say about Barnet's premier club now..........
Last edited by tigercaspian on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: JP Pietersen - Tigers go Saffa

Post by biffer »

Not my favourite player tbh, but I think at AP level he'll be very, very good.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: JP Pietersen - Tigers go Saffa again

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Good signing. However I'm more pleased with the news at the end of the article linked to above - we have signed a new deal with Veainu!!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

tigercaspian wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35280733

After JDV we'll have to be careful about what we say about Barnet's premier club now..........
Will we? Those of us who have actually kept our eyes on Saracens realise they don't actually have that many South Africans. Meanwhile we'll have three next season.

Quality has no nationality either way.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Three? Isn't De Chaves "English"?

(And who is he third, assuming JDV doesn't stay?)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Counting De Chaves, I always assumed he was solely South African but with an English passport.

My mind hadn't accounted for the fact that JDV probably won't be here!

So if you discount those two JPP is the only Saffa.

Ergo I'm not sure what the OP's point is!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Iain wrote:Counting De Chaves, I always assumed he was solely South African but with an English passport.

My mind hadn't accounted for the fact that JDV probably won't be here!

So if you discount those two JPP is the only Saffa.

Ergo I'm not sure what the OP's point is!!
I think De Chaves is probably a Saffa until he's picked by EJ!

I'm inclined to agree that today's announcement probably mean Goneva and Bai are off.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think it was likely that Bai was off anyway at his age - remarkable as his fitness is of course. There was talk of him doing some coaching at one point.

Goneva is on a lot of money which he's unlikely to get again here but could get in Japan or France. For one last contract you wouldn't begrudge him moving.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

What an excellent addition to the tigers squad, whilst others have lauded Brian Habana of Toulon as the SA backs inspiration, JP has not been far behind in terms of tries scored and the physical work undertaken around the field and indeed he has played at centre and full back for SA as well as his usual role on the wing. Tigers are now beginning to acquire players that inspire and this can only lead to good news on the field.This together with the news that recently 3 more excellent players in Veianu, Smith and Thompstone have renewed their contracts makes this a special day.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

All we need now are back up props and hooker. Then everything will be covered, in case of injury
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Sky Sports saying JPP on a 3 year contract. Don't know how accurate this is and I always understood Club never quotes duration but good news if true.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
samsapples

Post by samsapples »

Another amazing signing. However is anyone starting to get a little concerned about the development of our own young English backs? Haven't heard Catchpoles name in a while...
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

How better than to get the development of our own young English backs up to quality standard than have them learn from the likes of Matt Toomua or
JP Pietersen. I think this signing & that of Matt Toomus will make the Tigers one of the most potent teams in the Aviva & Europe for a good few years.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
samsapples

Post by samsapples »

Qbec wrote:How better than to get the development of our own young English backs up to quality standard than have them learn from the likes of Matt Toomua or
JP Pietersen. I think this signing & that of Matt Toomus will make the Tigers one of the most potent teams in the Aviva & Europe for a good few years.
I agree with that, but surely one of the best ways to develop your game is getting game time? I'm not for one minute saying these signings are a bad thing, I just hope it doesn't stunt the growth of players like Catchpole and Odogwu, who featured consistently in pre-season.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

samsapples wrote:
Qbec wrote:How better than to get the development of our own young English backs up to quality standard than have them learn from the likes of Matt Toomua or
I agree with that, but surely one of the best ways to develop your game is getting game time? I'm not for one minute saying these signings are a bad thing, I just hope it doesn't stunt the growth of players like Catchpole and Odogwu, who featured consistently in pre-season.
If you're good enough you will get game time and if not you will have the very best of coaching and back room support until you either make the grade or move on.

As always some young players will become impatient and chose to move to a club where they may get more 1st team game time but the brighter ones will recognise the grater opportunity of staying put and learning their trade. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!