Treviso.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunks43

Re: Treviso.

Post by dunks43 »

So if we finish as 2nd seed, and stade as 6th seed, we would be away to them in the semi's :smt018 :smt018 :smt018 :smt018 :smt018
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Christophelp wrote:
Doghashadhisday wrote:So it seems that it is best to either finish 1st or 3rd best so that if we win the quarterfinal we get a home semi. Since Sarries look like finishing first we must contrive to let Racing finish as 2nd best qualifiers.
No - the #1 and #2 seeds will have home semi-finals if all quarter-finals are won by the home sides: 1 v 4 and 2 v 3.
In fact (in terms of the semi-finals only) we definitely do not want to be the #3 or #4 seeds because they will not host 'home' semi-finals.
and interestingly (sort of), only seeds 5&6 are GUARANTEED to have a home semi should they win, all other seeds are reliant on other results. Albeit, seeds 5&6 have to win an away semi final to do so...
Less is more....
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Bunchy wrote:and interestingly (sort of), only seeds 5&6 are GUARANTEED to have a home semi should they win, all other seeds are reliant on other results. Albeit, seeds 5&6 have to win an away semi final to do so...
Conversely 3 and 4 CAN'T have a 'home' semi
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

All this semi-analysis seems to suggest that teams would prefer to be the following seeds:

1 #1/#2 - home QF and home SF (if SF opponents are #3/#4)
2 #3/#4 - home QF and away SF
3 #5/#6 - away QF (against lowest ranked home QFists) but guaranteed home SF
4 #7/#8 - away QF and home SF (unless #6/#5 win QF)

Which seems to work well alongside the idea that teams should want to be seeded as high as possible!!! I think.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

To put it a slightly different way, in both SFs, if both teams won home QFs or both teams won away QFs, then highest ranked team gets home SF. If one team won home QF and one won away QF, the away team gets home SF. Hopefully a bit easier to remember.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Is it just me or was this system really dreamt up by a group of Euro bureaucrats filling in time during a particularly tedious meeting in Brussels? The laws of rugby are hard enough as it is but can you imagine trying to explain all this to a prop? :smt003

My head hurts, and I wasn't a prop.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

The NFL/NBA and ECC competitions aren't quite the same though are they?
Trust you to puncture my argument!

Having said that, I am tempted to point out that although the pools aren't even each one does appear to have its 'whipping boys': Oyonnax, Bordeaux, Scarlets, Treviso and Leinster are a mighty 1 win and 19 losses combined!

That said your right of course in that you'd prefer to be in the AFC and the Eastern Conf this year.

Meanwhile it will be interesting to see if any QFs pitch teams from the same pool together...
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Putting the lovely prospect of the future rounds to one side for a moment, I would go with:

Logo
OTY
Cole
Barrow
Kitch
Croft
McCaffrey
Crane
YBY
Bell
Goneva
Smith
Manu
Betham
Tait

Marcos
Thacker
Balmain
De Chaves
Pearce
Burns
Harrison
Odogwu

Unless Munster beat Stade, we need 5 points to avoid an uncomfortable next weekend. If Munster do win, I can see a few last minute twinges happening! There can't be too many changes but with Owen out, we need to protect Burns and Marcos can't play every game from the start. Unless fully fit, I wouldn't want to risk Veainu but if with 10 minutes to go a fourth try is still needed, I would want someone on the bench who can product something out of nothing and against a tiring Treviso, Odogwu could be just the man.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I generally agree with that 23 Downsouth except I think you may have forgotten Fitzgerald who should play IMO instead of McCaffrey, who deserves the week off!!

OTY should be fired up and Veanu will benefit from a week off. I'd also have Kitto in there on the bench if he's fit.
Soggypitch
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Is Bell fit?
When Owen was out Bai had been covering fly half and we've not seen Bell since?
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

MrPartridge wrote:
The NFL/NBA and ECC competitions aren't quite the same though are they?
Trust you to puncture my argument!
Sorry, couldn't resist!!
MrPartridge wrote:Having said that, I am tempted to point out that although the pools aren't even each one does appear to have its 'whipping boys': Oyonnax, Bordeaux, Scarlets, Treviso and Leinster are a mighty 1 win and 19 losses combined!
Yes, true and good point, although perhaps a bit harsh on Bordeaux who have won a game and Leinster have been competitive in all of their games apart from the 1st one v Wasps.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

If Fonua is fit this could be a good game to bring him back for. I know he isn't match fit but I don't think you would lose much with playing him over Crane and if we can get him up to fitness then he could be very useful moving forward in the season. From the nature of his injury hopefully he will have been able to keep his cardio fitness up whilst he has been out.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Team's up:

1. Mulipola
2. Tom Youngs (c)
3. Cole
4. Barrow
5. Kitchener
6. Fitzgerald
7. Croft
8. Crane
9. Ben Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Manu
13. Tait
14. Thompstone
15. Bell

Subs: Thacker, Ayerza, Balmain, De Chaves, Pearce, Kitto, Bai, Betham

Good to see McCaffery and Veainu getting a rest IMO.

Still strong enough to win and win well, mind.

And Manu at 12 again...do you think that's under Eddie's encouragement?

Still no JDV...
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Definitely not counting on any favours from the Munstermen
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Grimlish wrote:Definitely not counting on any favours from the Munstermen
I don't think, or expect, that they will be doing anyone any favours more that they feel they have something to prove.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.