Teams up v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Teams up v Saints

Post by Maidman »

Great game in awful conditions for the most part.

Thought Saints created little but took their chances when they came. Thought the high tackle decision was potentially harsh, but maybe made up for the ones that were missed. Had the try been allowed it could have been a very different story.

Veainu is brilliant, but I think imaybe it is a high risk strategy having him at FB if he is going to come up field and leave no cover. We had no one to stop North for his try.

Thought we were less well organised when OW went off. Freddie was okay, but I think Williams was better. Hope his and all the other injury aren't serious.

Thought a few of our players put their hands up for England selection.

A great game with lots to talk about, spent all night in the pub going over it all.

Before the game would have been happy with four points, but after the first half came away a bit disappointed we didn't get the bonus point. Not for the first time!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

An even better game having watched the recording this morning but has made me think we were dead lucky with the high tackle call ruling Hill's 'try'. Think we would have been furious if a score of ours had been nullified like that.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

tigercaspian wrote:An even better game having watched the recording this morning but has made me think we were dead lucky with the high tackle call ruling Hill's 'try'. Think we would have been furious if a score of ours had been nullified like that.
There one from the line out(was it Gibsons) was a truck and trailer when we didn't oppose the drive, so it evens out. Mind we should still have played the refs whistle, not standing watching asking for the penalty.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

No complaints from me either.

A superb game of rugby and we did superbly to change momentum late on and sneak the win. Especially in consideration of the injuries.

Was great to see Manu back. He looked sharp, put in a big defensive hit 2m from his own line but could have given a penalty away late where he subtley ran past the ball late on allowing our forwards to reach the breakdown first. he has to watch his discipline

We need to improve on our line out. Far too many lost line out balls.

I feel for Owen Williams. He played superbly until he got a knee in the jaw.

Yes, Veainu gambles a hell of a lot for a fullback and is regularly out of position but you are weighing up the number of tries scored through his attacking gambles vs the number of tries lost when he is caught out of position. He's score about 6 tries this year and been caught out of position with Watson at bath and north yesterday. So for me, he stays at full back. He didn't drop a high ball either!

Mcaffery was a different class

A great win. LEts hope most of injuries were minor.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I have read elsewhere that Owen Williams had a suspected broken jaw. Disastrous if true.
Valhalla I am coming!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Maidman wrote:Great game in awful conditions for the most part.
+1
Maidman wrote:Thought we were less well organised when OW went off. Freddie was okay, but I think Williams was better.
This, I thought was the critical change in the game - it wasn't that we looked less organized but that we looked nowhere near as organized! He stands those few metres further back which gives the defence more time to react, and his constant looking for the opening (not a bad thing) in the wrong conditions has a similar effect to being indecisive.

And Freddie Burns kicking from hand just doesn't have the distance and accuracy of Williams's. He's not bad (good even) - but it is just that Owen Williams is superb!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Sparkie

Post by Sparkie »

fleabane wrote:I have read elsewhere that Owen Williams had a suspected broken jaw. Disastrous if true.
I seem to remember Alexsi Tuilagi getting a 5 week ban during the world cup for striking a player with the knee as he was tackled. Can't see any difference to what Lawes did to O J
The older I get the better I use to play.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Sparkie wrote:
fleabane wrote:I have read elsewhere that Owen Williams had a suspected broken jaw. Disastrous if true.
I seem to remember Alexsi Tuilagi getting a 5 week ban during the world cup for striking a player with the knee as he was tackled. Can't see any difference to what Lawes did to O J
Really?

You're insane.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

DickyP wrote:
+1
Maidman wrote:Thought we were less well organised when OW went off. Freddie was okay, but I think Williams was better.
This, I thought was the critical change in the game - it wasn't that we looked less organized but that we looked nowhere near as organized! He stands those few metres further back which gives the defence more time to react, and his constant looking for the opening (not a bad thing) in the wrong conditions has a similar effect to being indecisive.

And Freddie Burns kicking from hand just doesn't have the distance and accuracy of Williams's. He's not bad (good even) - but it is just that Owen Williams is superb!
I disagree that Burns made a difference. Two soft pens just before half time leading to a try for Saints and an unnecessary interception were what caused a problem. When you are 21-0 you just put the squeeze on. The players on the field need to recognise that.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Grannyman wrote:
Sparkie wrote:
Really?

You're insane.
I think it may have been tongue-in-cheek at the utter ridiculous nature of the ban handed to Alex Tuilagi.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Not so sure he is wrong, I've watched it a couple of times and Lawes does appear to raise a knee slightly as he goes in, only slightly though!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LE18 wrote:I've watched it a couple of times and Lawes does appear to raise a knee slightly as he goes in, only slightly though!
It's called running :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

Owen Williams has broken his jaw in 2 places and has had survey to put a plate in. He's out for the whole of the six nations. Terrible luck and bad news for us too. Think he is a much better 10 than FB as he likes to attack rather than kick. Could give Tommy Bell hope of a few games though.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Personally I think Tommy Bell's a better 10 than Burns as well! Not the flair but much more reliable and a much better boot on him.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

ourla wrote:
DickyP wrote:
+1

I disagree that Burns made a difference. Two soft pens just before half time leading to a try for Saints and an unnecessary interception were what caused a problem. When you are 21-0 you just put the squeeze on. The players on the field need to recognise that.
+1