Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teams up v Saints

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

My main concern is that the pack doesn't get shoved around like last weekend. the saints looked very good against Exeter and gave their pack abit of a beating. We need to front up and not get treated like a group of second class school boys.

The centre pairing is odd. Slightly out muscled but and I will no doubt end up eating a feacal burger but north isn't the player he once was. Maybe we are looking to play an expansive game away from the centre of the park, but those two areas are a concern. Always, as said on here keeping the faith.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Pretty strong team, I would alter only a couple of things. I would of put Pearce into the team at 8, move McCaffrey to 6 and fitz to lock. But I am not disappointed at all in the team selection. This will be interesting. Our pack our going to be vital, they need to play very well. Surprised Hartley isn't starting. Tait vs North will be interesting. I honestly think this could be Smiths chance to show how good he is or isn't. Burrel should of gone to the world cup and is no doubt a contender for the first squad. If he steps up he could make a statement.
JohnI
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JohnI »

I dont think too many of us saints fans are surprised at Hartley on bench as haywood has had a pretty good season whilst Hartley been out with concussion and has earned the right to start in this derby. haywoods been more than capable of holding his own and hartley from the bench gives more options.
With Elliot and Collins on the wings Mallinder gone for speed there and the times that North has played in the centre for us hes probably been better in some ways than on the wing.
Evenly matched up imo in a lot of the poitions so as long as Mr barnes lets things flow it should be a cracking game to watch
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

A Bit surprised that De Chaves is starting and not on the subs bench, whilst Croft is on the bench. I thought Fitzgerald would partner Kitch, stillI'm glad O'Connor 's playing and that Peter Betham is back.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A couple of observations:

1. We know OW is viewed as our 1st choice 10
2. Looking at the Saints squad, seriously how are they so poor this year?
3. As suspected no Manu or JDV. The worry would be if neither play against Treviso

I had a vivid dream last night it ended 14-14 so I'm on the draw at 25/1. It was very realistic right up to the point at the end when Myler kicked the ball out from the White Cliffs of Dover into the English Channel. Clearly they wanted to make sure of the 2 points!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The neighbours will lift their game, they always will against us, but I've seen nothing from them to say they can take us at Welford Road. I think this Tigers side will win comfortably with our crowd behind them.
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

It's derby day!!!!!!
Let's be clear: previous results and form count for nothing. We need a massive effort from the players and fans today or we'll get mugged.
Tiiiiiiiigers, Tiiiiiiigers, etc :smt026 :smt038
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Welcome back Manu!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

7-0 well done Dossers lad.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

19-0
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Really enjoyed the first 30 minutes. Then Williams goes off. Nevertheless a stolen line out gives us the chance to finish off the half attacking. 2 careless penalties later and Saints have the field position to score. Still, a good position to be in at HT.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The soft penalties are really annoying and keeping Saints in the game.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Great first half from the lads. Hope injuries aren't bad.

Pity we can't defend the rolling maul though, but we already knew that. Forwards have been more competitive overall though.

Anyone remember a scrum in the first 40, I don't!
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

21-0 becomes 21-17.