Injury latest

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Injury latest

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Last post on this as we will get Tigerbeat telling us to stay on topic.

Just because something would be concerning does not make it a 'must'.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Last post on this as we will get Tigerbeat telling us to stay on topic.

Just because something would be concerning does not make it a 'must'.
I maintain that it is, because Tigers must be one of the two top seeded teams going into the next round.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Getting back on topic, who knows the latest on our hookers, Leo and Bateman? I have lost faith in Thacker as a scrummaging hooker and really think the Club should try and convert him to a 7, he could be a proper fetcher....he has all the skills.

Likewise is Kitto injured? He came with a big build up and we've hardly seen him.

Finally Fanua? He made a cameo off the bench a couple of weeks ago and has not been seen since. Is he on January detox like me!!
Soggypitch
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Roly wrote:It is absolutely necessary, because Treviso are not that good. Anything less than 5 points would be a serious concern.
Have we ever not got 5 points against Treviso at home?
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

Soggypitch wrote:Getting back on topic, who knows the latest on our hookers, Leo and Bateman? I have lost faith in Thacker as a scrummaging hooker and really think the Club should try and convert him to a 7, he could be a proper fetcher....he has all the skills.

Likewise is Kitto injured? He came with a big build up and we've hardly seen him.

Finally Fanua? He made a cameo off the bench a couple of weeks ago and has not been seen since. Is he on January detox like me!!
Not sure on the hookers, but Kitto was due to start against Newcastle but was pulled late on. He is in the Euro squad, so may appear tomorrow.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Interesting chart on BBC website under football - I'd love to see the equivalent for the Aviva premiership.

Premier League injury table: How is your team doing?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

I've got to say I think Tigers have had fewer injuries numerically than previous seasons - but we do seem to have had more broken bones.

That being said, 6-8 weeks for a bones is a lot less than some of the soft tissue injuries
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:
Iain wrote:
Roly wrote:
Well, we can either discuss the merits of it now, or after the inevitable fact. Either way, its quite possibly worthy of discussion.
Quoted and noted.

You won't be averse to me bringing this up when we win by a bonus point then?
If the squad is rotated significantly, and win with a bonus point, you're welcome to remind me.

Right now, its much more interesting watching Noddy wet his pants over Eddie Jones' squad selection on the other article.
A very good morning to you young master Roly. How are you this fine morning?
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

In Roly's defence, we only got 7 tries, having squandered another 3 or 4 certs. We also went to sleep for their try and, in spite of annihilating their set piece, we gave at least one scrum penalty away.
It's simply not good enough; sack Cockerill, sack Mauger, Murphy and Hansen (Blaze at least looked solid, tackling someone in a tigers onesy), sack the board, close the ground and let's all start to support a decent team (like Roly does).
:smt006
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

L Smith wrote:In Roly's defence, we only got 7 tries, having squandered another 3 or 4 certs. We also went to sleep for their try and, in spite of annihilating their set piece, we gave at least one scrum penalty away.
It's simply not good enough; sack Cockerill, sack Mauger, Murphy and Hansen (Blaze at least looked solid, tackling someone in a tigers onesy), sack the board, close the ground and let's all start to support a decent team (like Roly does).
:smt006
+1 re Roly. He also seems to have developed a urogenital fixation in his comment, 'pant wetting' seems to feature worringly often. See a therapist!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I was pleased with win and the five points obviously. Five points was necessary, as I said previously, as Racing 92 are breathing down our necks and Tigers are away in France next week. As we saw this weekend, teams that don't have much chance (or any at all) of qualifying, made life very awkward for those above them. Its important to be seeded as high as possible for the 1/4 finals.

The team wasn't rotated significantly from the start, and it showed with most of the points coming in the first half. As soon as the substitutions were made, the scoring dried up. Thacker is a liability at hooker, for example. I concede that the weather probably didn't help. Had this match been away and starting with the XV that finished on Saturday, the result would have been much harder. However, this is moot, fortunately the coaching team saw Treviso as a serious stumbling block (potentially) and selected the team accordingly.

There's just something about this team that doesn't ring true. Opportunities missed, handling errors, silly penalties - and its all avoidable or unnecessary. Not all at once, but enough that better teams, more clinical teams will (and have) exploited Tigers' weaknesses. Witness Saracens this season. If only Tigers could be as ruthless and clinical, I'd be out of a job on here.

Onwards and upwards. Well done to the team, next week will be a different matter.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Roly wrote:
I was pleased with win and the five points obviously. Five points was necessary, as I said previously, as Racing 92 are breathing down our necks and Tigers are away in France next week. As we saw this weekend, teams that don't have much chance (or any at all) of qualifying, made life very awkward for those above them. Its important to be seeded as high as possible for the 1/4 finals.

The team wasn't rotated significantly from the start, and it showed with most of the points coming in the first half. As soon as the substitutions were made, the scoring dried up. Thacker is a liability at hooker, for example. I concede that the weather probably didn't help. Had this match been away and starting with the XV that finished on Saturday, the result would have been much harder. However, this is moot, fortunately the coaching team saw Treviso as a serious stumbling block (potentially) and selected the team accordingly.

There's just something about this team that doesn't ring true. Opportunities missed, handling errors, silly penalties - and its all avoidable or unnecessary. Not all at once, but enough that better teams, more clinical teams will (and have) exploited Tigers' weaknesses. Witness Saracens this season. If only Tigers could be as ruthless and clinical, I'd be out of a job on here.

Onwards and upwards. Well done to the team, next week will be a different matter.
What has all this got to do with the latest injury situation?!

I will reiterate my earlier post; does anyone know the injury status of our two missing hookers, Ghiraldini and Bateman?
Likewise is Fanua injured again (surely Treviso would have been an ideal match for him) or on a January detox diet?!
How far is Williams away from a return? We've really missed him!!
Soggypitch
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I would have said that resting Veainu, McCaffrey, Ayerza and Betham, arguably our four best players this season, is significant rotation. Just be happy with what you saw Roly. It was very good :smt023

I think we were relatively unscathed this weekend. Good stuff"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think the injury situation is reduced by the fact we can now afford to rest someone "carrying a knock". Last season we had a lot of walking wounded being played when maybe with different squad depth, we might have not made those "knocks " worse.
As to the current crop of injuries, I have heard nothing that is not already well reported.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Leo has stepped up his training but I think is still a few weeks away from playing. Fonua's brief appearance a couple of weeks ago resulted in a re-broken arm. Not sure about Bateman and Williams was predicted to be out for six to eight weeks so still three or four to go. Ed Slater ahead of schedule I think.