Saturday fixture - what a joke

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Saturday fixture - what a joke

Post by trendylfj »

After the recent update from BT regarding our premiership Saturday fixtures - I counted that up to round 19 we will have had 4 home Saturday fixtures - what a joke. I wish I had the time to make the effort and find out all of the other club stats but neither Saints or Wasps have the day of their fixtures just the date so I have given up.
Hehehehehehehehe
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Saturday fixture - what a joke

Post by ellis9 »

Yes and the point of this post (and loads of others about kick off dates and times over the past few years) is what?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I'm getting fed up with the "Saturday match" moaning. Tigers have always been a TV favourite, and the consequence is evident in k.o. times. If we were less successful, we would probably have less coverage, and more predictable Saturday k.o. times.

Take your pick.
Valhalla I am coming!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

trendylfj wrote:After the recent update from BT regarding our premiership Saturday fixtures - I counted that up to round 19 we will have had 4 home Saturday fixtures - what a joke. I wish I had the time to make the effort and find out all of the other club stats but neither Saints or Wasps have the day of their fixtures just the date so I have given up.
Totally understand the gripe. Those halcyon days of a Sat 3pm KO are now part of sporting history along with rucking, no lifting in the lineout etc etc. Unfortunately TV money dictates the programme timeline. I don't have an issue with that in principle as it is a professional sport and as such is driven by profit. The Tigers can have the TV money instead of mine on a regular basis. I used to be an ST holder but as I don't live within easy distance of WR, I missed so many games with the changes, so financially an ST was not viable anymore. I'll be at WR this Saturday for the derby and that maybe it for the season other than ECC games home and away? Thankfully there is CricTV etc to stream from, I don't have to queue for overpriced beer and food and the games I do miss I am patience enough to wait for Premiership TV a few hours later.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

trendylfj wrote:I wish I had the time to make the effort and find out all of the other club stats

Why not? Isn't that what retirement is for?
terraceite
Tiger Cub

Post by terraceite »

Yes but !! there are 4 tv fixtures each week, Friday night, 2 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday. On that basis 50% of home games should at least be on the Saturday so we are getting a raw deal :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

terraceite wrote:Yes but !! there are 4 tv fixtures each week, Friday night, 2 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday. On that basis 50% of home games should at least be on the Saturday so we are getting a raw deal :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
I think your maths is slightly wrong. There are an average of 3 AP games on BT each week (69 across 22 weeks plus semis and final). However, the general point is still valid. 3 non-televised and one Saturday televised game most weeks should allow Tigers a 2 in 3 chance of a Saturday KO. even allowing for clashes with LCFC, around 50% of AP matches on a Saturday should be achievable.

Just checked the fixtures and we've none on Friday, 4 on Saturday, 6 on Sunday and one, the final one, TBC. :smt011
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Tigercam I totally agree. I am no longer a ST for the same reasons. For those of you who think the moaning is old hat myself and many others would like still to be part of the Tigers' crowd but the way the club is managed is so unattractive as to make it a rare experience. The way in which TV companies dictate is not the only way to agree a broadcasting contract.
roboleo

Post by roboleo »

I'm a new ST holder and somewhat frustrated by the lack of games on Sat pm. So I have had a very quick look at the number of 'Home' Premiership games played Sat pm (KO between noon & 5pm) up to Round 19 (1-3 Apr) Source: Aviva Premiership website.
Sarries 8
Glous/Warriors 6
Bath/Saints/Chiefs/Quins 5
Tigers/Irish/Sharks 4
Wasps 3
Falcons 1

Suggests fewer Sat pm games are linked with those clubs where football probably has a greater influence on fixtures - not just TV. Obvious really I suppose
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Roboleo

None of those teams above us have a Prem football club in which they have to juggle days.
roboleo

Post by roboleo »

Hi LE18 - that was my point. It's not just about TV, although it clearly will be a factor (like it is for the soccer clubs).
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Don't they have 1 game on Friday, Saturday and Sunday making it a 1 in 3 chance of a Saturday game?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Leaving aside the question of whether matches are played on a Saturday or not, we at least know when they are being played. Of all the 8 home matches between now until the end of the regular season, we know the date/time of 7 of them.

Looking at the French Top 14 Montpellier fixtures (nearest to me), of the 7 fixtures, at home, between now and the end of the season, only 1 has a date/time. All of the others are down as the "weekend of", and as there is no date (Saturday or a Sunday), there is no time either.

I think we should count ourselves lucky. :smt004
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Phil B wrote:Leaving aside the question of whether matches are played on a Saturday or not, we at least know when they are being played. Of all the 8 home matches between now until the end of the regular season, we know the date/time of 7 of them.

Looking at the French Top 14 Montpellier fixtures (nearest to me), of the 7 fixtures, at home, between now and the end of the season, only 1 has a date/time. All of the others are down as the "weekend of", and as there is no date (Saturday or a Sunday), there is no time either.

I think we should count ourselves lucky. :smt004
Ah! But is it not well known that most Frenchman do not know, or care, what day of the week it is?

:smt038
Still keeping the faith!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

:smt001

You could not be more wrong! Knowing when the weekend starts, and work stops, is fundamental to French life. :smt025
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.