Team for Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Sarries

Post by tigercaspian »

Given that we are still in transition, whilst Sarries are rock solid, an LBP would be a considerable result given previous recent away games against them
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

We definitely need to play our strongest available team for this game.
We can beat Treviso at home (with a TBP) with a mix and match team, so that should almost guarantee us a home quarter final.

So these next two league games v Sarries and Saints are crucial.

If the Sarries pitch supposedly causes injury problems, why don't they have more problems then? If you're fit to play, you're fit to play, these new pitches are excellent and in many ways it could be argued, less likely to cause injuries than playing in a muddy quagmire!!

If Manu and JDV are out, but Owen is fit, I'd rather see him at 12 than Bai or Tait. He gives another kicking option, and his defence is good. He can also make break. If Owen is not fit, then out of Bai or Tait, my preference would be Tait, providing the coaches are confident in his defence of the 10/12 channel.

I suppose the big decision in the forwards is Croft - to play him or bench him? Do we need Slater's bulk at 6 or Croft's pace/line out skills?

This really is a decision for the coaches based on the way we want to play and Sarries likely team/game plan. One thing's for sure, Slate's needs to be in the team at 4, 5 or 6 and Fitzgerald likewise.
Soggypitch
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I would personally send a weakened team myself. Without our two World Class centres I can't see us even running Sarries close on their patch given their form at present. I'd save our first choice front and back rows for the Saints game and target five points from that match. Two defeats all season away at the top two isn't a bad scenario going into the Saints match. Hopefully Munster will get a result in the home game against Stade meaning a win against Treviso will allow us to rest plenty again for the trip to Stade.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Ayerza
Youngs
Cole
Slater
Kitchener
Fitzgerald
O'Connor
McCaffery
Youngs
Burns
Thompstone
Roberts
Betham
Veaniu
Tait

Thacker
Mulipola
Balmain
Barrow
Pearce
Harrison
Williams
Bell

Fitgerald is a much better 6 than Slater. Away at Sarries I don't think we can have both Goneva and Veaniu in the team, they are going to have to do a lot of defending. I am not a fan of Bai, Roberts will offer more speed on the plastic pitch.
I don't understand why we wouldn't send a strong team. To be the best, you have to beat the best.
As for Croft, he looks slow and lacks bulk. He hasn't done much at all this season, although he is good in the line-outs. Injuries have tolled up.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RagingBull wrote:Would like to see.

1) Ayerza
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Fitzgerald
5) Kitchener
6) Slater
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Thompstone
12) Tait
13) Betham
14) Goneva
15) Veainu

16) Thacker
17) Logo
18) Balmain
19) Barrow
20) Croft
21) Harrison
22) Bell
23) Catchpole/Bai

Wouldn't happen though.
Ragingbull I think Tait is a great shout at 12, I don't think we will see it but I would go with that. Apparently we are supposed to be getting John De Villiers at some stage not quite sure which year though, do we get money back for him only likely to play half a season, I am really disappointed he has not been fit enough to feature yet.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Big Dai wrote:Strongest side not available? Never mind and concentrate on Europe. Expecting nothing, anything will be a bonus. That's not doom mongery, just pragmatism.
Ah, the voice of reason from the valleys. Don't forget though BD that in some eyes if you aren't gung ho and all for everything Tigers you are a doom monger and should go and support another team. However as tigercaspian has said we are a team in transition - and still not the finished product, unlike Sarries.

The league is the long game and there's a lot of merit in playing the percentage game and this is one of the games where to put all your top assets in the firing line might not make sense. Damage limitation might be the best approach at Sarries, especially after how shakey we were last weekend. Defeat next weekend against Stains is not acceptable for so many reasons and they will be thinking the same about that game. Not getting a BP win against Treviso could cause problems going into the Stade game but we mustn't underestimate them.

Interesting to see the pitch causing worries, especially for those who have had knee injuries. All in all a LBP and no big injuries will suit nicely thank you. As for the team selection, that will all depend on how pragmatic the management are (and who is fit :smt002 ).
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Two away losses, perhaps a bonus point, will be no problem by the end of the season. Chiefs will pick up at least two away losses and possibly a surprise home one - injury has to visit them sometime and I think the later stages will see some teams struggling with depth. I would be targeting Stains and Treviso for the full treatment because that will bring us the best outcome. An LBP with significant injuries would not help, or even a win with injuries to key players. There is enough threat from the 6N to a couple of our players (I would guess no more than that) but a big threat to Saffas, Quins, Wasps, Barf etc who I expect to make up almost all the England side.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I really just do not get this throwing the white towel in for the Sarries game!!

Correct me if I'm wrong;

We have our full first choice pack available (with the possible exception of M Williams).

We have our first choice half backs.

We have our first choice wingers/full back.

So we are just short in the centres; but Betham has proven to be an outstanding 13 (thought he was MOTM v Falcons), so in reality we are really just very short at 12. Well I'm sure Cockers/Mauger will make the correct decision who to play at 12.

Therefore why all the pessimism? Yes Sarries will be favourites and if I had to put my mortgage on one side it would be them, but win the forward battle (OTY v JG will be a battle all on its own!)and we have a good chance....

Keep the faith!! :smt002
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Long view vs short view. The side will have to be strong but decisions need to be made about key players and potential injuries. OTY will have to play, possibly with Vanvuuren as sub; Marcos/WoolyPully with Cole/Balmain rotation; I would put McCaffrey in cotton wool and play BOC/Pearce/Ed with Kitch and Fitz (if fit at lock) or De Chaves if not, rest Barrow, he got battered in the Falcons match - so basically full strength-ish. OW definitely not, Ben OK, leave Veainu on bench if possible. However there is an argument for resting Ben for Stains and so on. It is simply where you decide is important - a BP win over Treviso is number 1, likewise over Stains is No 2 IMO. No matter how bullish you get over Saffacens, a LBP is a good outcome - how much do you chance your No1 squad members on artificial turf (hence no way to pick OW).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

To use an old cliché; we'll just have to agree to disagree JG! Happy New Year anyway.

I'm just off for a couple of swift one early doors!!
Soggypitch
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Our back 3 will be crucial in this game, as Sarries will be kicking as they usually do and just waiting for errors or gaining territory. If we can be squeaky clean in terms of giving penalties away, sound under the high ball and carry hard, then we're in with a shout in my opinion. Don't give them any turnovers or cheap penalties. We could get some joy at the line out I think. Previous games against Saracens, I seem to remember our discipline hasn't been the best, so we'll need to sort that out.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Ref is confirmed as Garner, we must have upset someone at HQ :smt017
Probably won't even bother watching now as he winds me up so much!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ourla wrote:
TigerCam wrote:Can't see the strongest side being put out with the ECC games coming up? An LBP maybe on the cards?
Lose on Saturday with no BP and we will be 10 points down on Sarries, they will be 8-0 and we will be 6-2. Given the respective form of the two teams I can see Chiefs winning at Franklins Gardens on Friday meaning we could also be 8 points off second spot. A home semi greatly enhances your chances in the play offs. It's certainly not all doom and gloom if we lose but I feel we should give this fixture a serious go. It would be a real statement and a confidence booster. And if you think about it we play an underperforming Saints and Treviso at home the next two - so an opportunity for player rotation awaits.
Exactly my point. As has been said - pragmatism. Plenty of time to get one over the Sarries - twickers seems the right place to do i?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'm with Soggy.

We had Falcons last week, we've got a struggling Saints and Treviso coming up at Welford Road. We've almost a fully fit back and some in form backs. I see no reason not to take this game on.

It's not about being gung-ho, it's still taking a pragmatic view. Just a different one.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

you win the league by playing really well and saving your best in 2 games at the end of the season and playing reasonably well for the rest of the season. yes you can make it easier by getting a home semi but it is not the end of the world if we finished 3rd or even 4th. There is still a lot of rugby to be played and all clubs will loose players during the 6Ns. No major injuries and a LBP and a 3 tries Sarries would be fine by me.
Hehehehehehehehe