Team for Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Team for Sarries

Post by PM76 »

With Manu and De Villers both unavailable (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/d ... -cockerill + http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... chief.html) it will be interesting to see who Cockers picks in the centres as well as elsewhere. I'd like to see something close to the strongest possible 23 go to Allianz Park. I think McCaffrey could definitely do with a rest and maybe have YBY on the bench, hopefully Smith will be fit to start as he is crucial at 12 at the minute. I'd also like to see Croft start as I think his work out wide could be more effective on the plastic pitch. Therefore I'd go for:

Ayerza, Youngs, Cole
Slater (C), Kitchener
Croft, Pearce, O'Connor
Harrison (think Kitto will have to wait- its a big ask to start your first game away at the champions!), Burns
Smith (Bai if injured), Betham
Goneva/ Thompstone (a tough call based on form IMO but expect Nikki to get the nod), Tait, Veainu

Thacker, Logo, Balmain, Fitzgerald, Fonua, Youngs, Bell, Bai (Catchpole/ Thompstone or Goneva if Bai starts).
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Sarries

Post by kpj tiger »

Smith, JDV and Manu are all out in the centers, In light of that and the pace of the pitch we are going to be playing on I'd go with
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Fitzgerald
5. Kitchener
6. Slater
7. O'connor
8. Mcaffery
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Catchpole (I think Bai could be left for pace)
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu

16. Aguero
17. Thacker
18. Mulipola
19. Barrow
20. Fonua
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Bai
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kpj tiger wrote:Smith, JDV and Manu are all out in the centers, In light of that and the pace of the pitch we are going to be playing on I'd go with
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Fitzgerald
5. Kitchener
6. Slater
7. O'connor
8. Mcaffery
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Catchpole (I think Bai could be left for pace)
13. Betham
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu

16. Aguero
17. Thacker
18. Mulipola
19. Barrow
20. Fonua
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Bai
No Matt Tait? could be your centre with Betham.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Is Smith out injured? If he is I want De Villiers or Roberts at 12.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Completely forgot about Tait, he could deffo slot in at 12 for a game IMO.

De Villiers is out with illness & also isn't keen to play on artificial pitches due to his knee
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

kpj tiger wrote:Completely forgot about Tait, he could deffo slot in at 12 for a game IMO.

De Villiers is out with illness & also isn't keen to play on artificial pitches due to his knee
Suspect the pitch means that even if Owen Williams is fit he may not feature either...
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Smith confirmed as injured in the Merc (http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Locks ... story.html). Would be nice to see Catchpole/ Roberts at 12 but I would be very surprised if it wasn't Bai.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Game reported sold out at the Allianz.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would like to see.

1) Ayerza
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Fitzgerald
5) Kitchener
6) Slater
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Thompstone
12) Tait
13) Betham
14) Goneva
15) Veainu

16) Thacker
17) Logo
18) Balmain
19) Barrow
20) Croft
21) Harrison
22) Bell
23) Catchpole/Bai

Wouldn't happen though.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Can't see the strongest side being put out with the ECC games coming up? An LBP maybe on the cards?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Strongest side not available? Never mind and concentrate on Europe. Expecting nothing, anything will be a bonus. That's not doom mongery, just pragmatism.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerCam wrote:Can't see the strongest side being put out with the ECC games coming up? An LBP maybe on the cards?
Lose on Saturday with no BP and we will be 10 points down on Sarries, they will be 8-0 and we will be 6-2. Given the respective form of the two teams I can see Chiefs winning at Franklins Gardens on Friday meaning we could also be 8 points off second spot. A home semi greatly enhances your chances in the play offs. It's certainly not all doom and gloom if we lose but I feel we should give this fixture a serious go. It would be a real statement and a confidence booster. And if you think about it we play an underperforming Saints and Treviso at home the next two - so an opportunity for player rotation awaits.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

ourla wrote: Lose on Saturday with no BP and we will be 10 points down on Sarries, they will be 8-0 and we will be 6-2. Given the respective form of the two teams I can see Chiefs winning at Franklins Gardens on Friday meaning we could also be 8 points off second spot. A home semi greatly enhances your chances in the play offs. It's certainly not all doom and gloom if we lose but I feel we should give this fixture a serious go. It would be a real statement and a confidence booster. And if you think about it we play an underperforming Saints and Treviso at home the next two - so an opportunity for player rotation awaits.
I think the Tigers will always give it a go but it is not worth risking players like Manu and Owen on that pitch. You also have to remember that both Sarries and Exeter will still have to come to Welford Road and I would expect us to beat them here so it is not the end of the season or a home tie if we lose away to Sarries.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Doghashadhisday wrote:
ourla wrote: Lose on Saturday with no BP and we will be 10 points down on Sarries, they will be 8-0 and we will be 6-2. Given the respective form of the two teams I can see Chiefs winning at Franklins Gardens on Friday meaning we could also be 8 points off second spot. A home semi greatly enhances your chances in the play offs. It's certainly not all doom and gloom if we lose but I feel we should give this fixture a serious go. It would be a real statement and a confidence booster. And if you think about it we play an underperforming Saints and Treviso at home the next two - so an opportunity for player rotation awaits.
I think the Tigers will always give it a go but it is not worth risking players like Manu and Owen on that pitch. You also have to remember that both Sarries and Exeter will still have to come to Welford Road and I would expect us to beat them here so it is not the end of the season or a home tie if we lose away to Sarries.
I'm not talking about Manu, who isn't even in the frame for a return as I understand it. And yes, no JDV, Williams, Smith all a given. But other than that I would play my strongest side.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

We have to play our strongest Team against the on form side in the league and this is:

Backs: Veianu, Thompstone, Betham, Smith, Goneva, Williams (if fit) if not then Burns, B Youngs.

Forwards: Ayerza, T Youngs, Cole, Slater, Fitzgerald, Croft, O'Connor,&
McCaffrey.

Subs:Thacker, Aguero, Balmain, Kitchener, Pearce, Harrison, Bell and Tait.

Tait has had only one game back since injury so I'd play Veianu at Fullback on this occasion. Should it be Fitzgerald or Kitchener, I would be happy if that was swapped around as I would Pearce and McCaffrey, but at the moment this is our strongest 23 fit men.