Officiating

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Officiating

Post by G.K »

L Smith wrote: Maybe I'm wrong (it happens) but I'm sure that there is no requirement for downward pressure. If there was any contact between Tait's hand/fingers/thumb at the point that the ball made contact with the quagmire, it should have been a try.
No doubt, I'll be corrected by the brains trust :smt002
Happy to oblige - you're wrong - it's happened. Law 22.1 (b) applies:

(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

Key phrase here is "presses down".
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

G.K. Omits to mention -
Law 22.1 (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required. the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

Basically this means as long as you've not lost control of the ball and your hand (which includes your fingers!) is in contact with the ground then it's grounded. No downward pressure required.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:G.K. Omits to mention -
Law 22.1 (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required. the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

Basically this means as long as you've not lost control of the ball and your hand (which includes your fingers!) is in contact with the ground then it's grounded. No downward pressure required.
That was my understanding although the area seems distinctly grey. Thanks for both responses :smt023
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

the area seems distinctly grey
Either be holding the ball with permitted body parts or press down on the ball as it touches the ground if not holding it.
Norfolk and Goode's theory defies the law of gravity, if a player is holding the ball then of course it is going down as it makes contact with the ground, you can't press up on the ball and were it sideways it would be a push.
:smt017
In Tait's case he wasn't holding the ball so b applies, press down, or downward pressure also to normal people, or not.
:smt015

There are two ways a player can ground the ball:

(a)

Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b)

Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.
Cheery chappy
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Didn't forget to mention a) - clearly they were not holding the ball at the point of grounding so b) then applies.

However convoluted the TMO process is they were the correct decisions and it was poor finishing in both cases that is the real issue.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Norfolk and Goode's theory defies the law of gravity, if a player is holding the ball then of course it is going down as it makes contact with the ground, you can't press up on the ball and were it sideways it would be a push.
Not my theory Boy Dave but fact according to WR, hence Law 22.1(a), which clearly states the ball can be grounded where "No downward pressure is required". Sir Isaac has nothing to do with this one!

As for Taity, he looked like he briefly lost control to me before the ball hit the deck first so no try. Had he remained in contact with the ball with just his thump then that is a try, because 'holding' is also defined as 'supporting' according to the dictionary.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The tries were dissallowed. End of story!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!