Round 5/6 Fixtures - Usual third rate treatment of fans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Round 5/6 Fixtures - Usual third rate treatment of fans

Post by rdracup »

I know we are, as a sport, in hoc to the TV companies but with just over 3 weeks notice of date and kick off time (R5) - which could be over any of 3 days - it is a clear statement that as a sport the needs of supporters rank nowhere in importance. Nothing will change and I am sure the club will say, if asked, we don't like it but nothing it can do.
We will all have to wipe some brown stuff off that's been dropped from a great height as we go through the gates jumping to their tune, because as "taken for granted loyal supporters" we will turn up whenever EPC/BT/Sky tell us to but that doesn't mean we think it is all OK. It is not.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Round 5/6 Fixtures - Usual third rate treatment of fans

Post by ellis9 »

The club can't do anything about it if they want to participate in the Premiership, European Cup and the LV Cup. They also need need the TV money to sign and keep the high quality players we have.

This isn't a new thing and it isn't going to change. We just have to deal with it. If you want Saturday afternoon games, week in, week out, you need to watch lower level rugby.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

rdracup wrote:I know we are, as a sport, in hoc to the TV companies but with just over 3 weeks notice of date and kick off time (R5) - which could be over any of 3 days - it is a clear statement that as a sport the needs of supporters rank nowhere in importance. Nothing will change and I am sure the club will say, if asked, we don't like it but nothing it can do.
We will all have to wipe some brown stuff off that's been dropped from a great height as we go through the gates jumping to their tune, because as "taken for granted loyal supporters" we will turn up whenever EPC/BT/Sky tell us to but that doesn't mean we think it is all OK. It is not.
:smt015 :smt015 Every season the same old moan. It's not like it is new or unexpected. Perhaps a solution would be for Tigers to get relegated to the lower divisions to keep the fans happy.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

To be fair to the OP, he isn't suggesting every game has to be 15:00 on a Saturday. I guess, like most people trying to arrange, travel, hotels and time off work, it feels like there is no good reason to leave it so late, to finalise whether it's one of 3 days and what time it will kick off.
I find the DHHHD response a little unfair.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Another Tigers forum put down! If I read the original post correctly this is about wanting to support our team on their travels in Europe. The issue here is not when the game is but the amount of notice given, in this case 3 weeks before the game. This makes planning time off work difficult and almost certainly means any opportunity to benefit from cheap fares by booking well in advance will have gone.

With the Premiership you typically get more notice and travel is usually there and back on the day so much more of a take it or leave it decision based solely on the day and time of the game.

I'm sure I'm one of many supporters who relish the experience of the European trips and unfortunately such short notice makes these later pool games extremely difficult if not impossible to attend from both a time and cost perspective.

As the OP has said this is unlikely to change but it doesn't mean that the implications of these late decisions shouldn't be raised. It certainly doesn't mean that people should be berated on here when all they are expressing is their frustration at trying to follow the team across Europe.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It's easy, isn't it?

The tv companies decide when the games are played and they don't give a toss how many go through the turnstiles, as it has little impact on their revenue.

Actually, in a small way, the more people who stay at home and use their tv coverage, the more they like it!

It's not that they want to cause us lot's of grief while they coin it in, they just don't care if they do. A bit like bankers really.

What's so hard to understand?
Last edited by loretta on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

As I have pointed out on previous threads, the "late" decisions by TV companies will have very little effect on TV audiences. Down to adminstrators. 12 weeks notice of all dates/times would not be unreasonable other than "Force Majeur" (Paris massacre)
Still keeping the faith!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

It is a fair comment and the club of course could do something about it. A contract is a two way agreement for mutual benefit.

TV companies and club directors are being lazy and do not give a toss about supporters.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BBC Leicester Sport's twitter account stating that the kick off times for Rds 5 & 6 will be announced by Thursday morning (Thursday this week I presume :smt002 )
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

TV companies and club directors are being lazy and do not give a toss about supporters.
It's not laziness it's self-interest. They do it to ensure the games they cover at peak viewing times are the games with something at stake and between 'popular' teams likely to get good ratings - especially for rounds 5 & 6 in Europe. Arguably that's in our interests too as it creates the revenue our clubs now depend on. The only solutions so to have very deep pockets and book early for a very long weekend in Paris.....
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Grimlish wrote:
It's not laziness it's self-interest. They do it to ensure the games they cover at peak viewing times are the games with something at stake and between 'popular' teams likely to get good ratings - especially for rounds 5 & 6 in Europe. Arguably that's in our interests too as it creates the revenue our clubs now depend on. The only solutions so to have very deep pockets and book early for a very long weekend in Paris.....
Beg to respectfully suggest that the times these games are shown on TV affects the audiences not a jot! Even the day of the week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) likely also has little or no effect. It is also not necessary to have a crystal ball to predict in advance which will be the "big" games.

It is laziness and "couldn;t care less" attitude to the travelling supporters from both TV companies and Rugby administrators.
Still keeping the faith!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

If it's all so predictable Bill why do they bother playing the games?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Grimlish wrote:If it's all so predictable Bill why do they bother playing the games?
The results of the games are not predictable - but which games will be important are (predictable). TV audiences are, I suspect, relatively constant regardless of KO times. By which I mean a game between two "top" teams will attract a high audience regardless of when it is played whereas one between two "lesser" teams will attract a smaller audience again regardless of when it is played.
Still keeping the faith!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

So, Bill you'd have predicted back in the summer that Bath and Saints and Munster and Leinster would Implode or underperform and in R5 have Toulon Vs Wasp as your key game? You know how the meejar love a story.......
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Grimlish wrote:So, Bill you'd have predicted back in the summer that Bath and Saints and Munster and Leinster would Implode or underperform and in R5 have Racing Vs Scarlets, Toulon Vs Wasps as your key games? You know how the meejar love a story.......
And if I (or they) had, this would affect the TV audiences by how many single digit percentages? For "key games" in terms of TV audiences there are just aren't any that are KO time critical. Matters not a jot ot tittle whether the games KO at 1500 on a Saturday or anytime else. Those who choose to watch them watch them - regardless of KO time +/- 1%
Still keeping the faith!