Eeyore

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Eeyore

Post by iceman_19 »

It is with regret that I must bring down the current buoyant mood surrounding the club and bring to the forum's attention something that has me extremely concerned.

Being now exiled to the West Country, I do try and get to a couple of away games. Exeter is a bit difficult to get to but a good bunch, the Rec faithful maintain a healthy but sportsmanlike rivalry with us and the Gloucester lot are, well, Gloucester. I'm sure the majority of the fans are good, normal people, but it remains the only club where I've been verbally abused (and I suspect spat at once) just for the colour of my shirt. They also have the most irritating habit in all of the Premiership - whenever a member of the opposition drops the ball, the whole crowd starts a relentless baying of "EEYORE, EEYORE". I don't know what it is, but it genuinely grates on me as being one of the most tedious, unintelligent drones to be churned out with monotonous regularity by an unimaginative crowd.

Imagine my despair when this season I've heard it emerging on the Crumbie terrace.

Now I'm sure I will be (with some justification) labelled a hypocrite, as I am one of the drum-bangers for a noisier crowd, with more songs, banter etc. I'm all for an ironic cheer, a bit of spiky chat, maybe even a cheeky serenade of "Are you Ben Kay in disguise", when someone gets a case of butterfingers. Anything.

Anything but ruddy "Eeyore".

Leave that for the Shedheads.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Eeyore

Post by mol2 »

Not sure there's really much difference between Eyore and an ironic cheer?

Both are ironic/sarcastic and certainly not bad language that would offend. As a professional sportsman you have to take a bit of stick. As a home fan you want Welford Road to be an intimidating environment for the away players without being an unpleasant experience for away fans (other than their team losing)
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I agree with the OP.

I don't really like the Eeyore, but do like an ironic cheer when a ball is dropped. I think it compounds the mistake more than donkey calls, but theres no need to carry it on after the event. Maybe if a winger and he takes up his position when the scrum is being set an odd "you could play cricket for england with hands like that" is ok, but the donkey noises are a bit childish if you ask me.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

mol2 wrote:Not sure there's really much difference between Eyore and an ironic cheer?

Both are ironic/sarcastic and certainly not bad language that would offend. As a professional sportsman you have to take a bit of stick. As a home fan you want Welford Road to be an intimidating environment for the away players without being an unpleasant experience for away fans (other than their team losing)
I don't disagree with any of that, to be fair. The only difference for me is that I don't like the idea that we are effectively imitating Shedheads in resorting to donkey impressions! A good ironic cheer comes a lot more naturally and is less forced.

No takers for the 'Ben Kay in disguise' song??! :smt023
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'd be more concern about the idiots shouting "Potato" from the Met-RX as Keatley lined up his kicks.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Hot_Charlie wrote:I'd be more concern about the idiots shouting "Potato" from the Met-RX as Keatley lined up his kicks.
I think they may have been Munster fans reading their opinion of him on their forum.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Hot_Charlie wrote:I'd be more concern about the idiots shouting "Potato" from the Met-RX as Keatley lined up his kicks.
Agreed. I was surprised nothing was said over the PA. Clearly either drunk or not a regular
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Noggs wrote:Agreed. I was surprised nothing was said over the PA. Clearly either drunk or not a regular
Yes: I thought the same thing... about the PA announcer :smt003
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

L Smith wrote:
Noggs wrote:Agreed. I was surprised nothing was said over the PA. Clearly either drunk or not a regular
:smt042

I've never heard the eeyore call where I am in the Crumbie. I hope it doesn't become a regular practice.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I would hate for the Eeyore chant to come to Welford Road...it is very much like my opinion of Glouc fans..crass and petulant

Will never forget going to Gloucester as a child on the coach and getting spat at as we left having won..never liked Gloucester fans since..I have a theory about clubs were there is no big football team get the morons that would usually go there :smt023
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Maidman wrote:
L Smith wrote:
:smt042

I've never heard the eeyore call where I am in the Crumbie. I hope it doesn't become a regular practice.
It's been shouted on the crumble for quite awhile - as long as its good natured and doesn't move to being part of abusing players , I don't think it is an issue really.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

We moved from the terrace a couple of seasons ago, but I have to report that in the area we used to occupy there was a man of between 65 and 70 years of age who was the principal eeyore shouter, and had been for about 10 years. It grated then and still would today.

Then again, what some of the crowd think when we shout 'encouragement' from the MetRX stand (or whatever it's called) I have no idea :smt003
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I hear eeyore increasingly around my part of the terrace, and like the originator of this thread, I really dislike it. It grates on me because it is mindless and too 'glaws'for my taste. But as I join in, or indeed invent, plenty of other silly chants maybe it is hypocritical for me to comment. Therefore I just mark my disapproval through my silence when the donkeys start.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

It is normally a few souls on the terrace about level with the end of the away dugout. I don't like it and it has been going on for a few years now. It's normally greeted with 'This isn't Gloucester'.
Hopefully it will die down, but as it isn't abuse really, or foul language, then we must either voice our distaste, ignore it.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

It may sound very old fashioned and possibly a bit stuffy but I go to support Tigers and not to shout abuse at the opposition. OK, 'eeyore' may be a 'bit of banter' to some but to me it's unnecessary. Booing Goperth after his attack on Tait - fine, it was the least he deserved. Telling the ref his guide dog needs a white stick - all part of the fun, as long as there's some humour in it. But 'eeyore' is just over the edge.

The sport has resisted the Shed's attempt to drag it's down to the aggressive levels we have seen at football and long may continue to do so.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.