Veainu and Thomo-what commitment and stunning defence

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Veainu and Thomo-what commitment and stunning defence

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Before Tait is consigned to the forum scrap heap (again), it's worth noting his current injury was acquired in the process of a try-saving tackle...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:Before Tait is consigned to the forum scrap heap (again), it's worth noting his current injury was acquired in the process of a try-saving tackle...
:smt023 Rokoduguni had passed other defenders, Tait tracked him and stopped an early try for Bath, first minute or so of that match, pretty good out of the blocks.

Then Veainu moved from the wing to his nailed on starting 15 position........once Tait had to go off
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

I think for tight game Tait will be 15. If not I think he is a better 13 than wing.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

DickyP wrote:
fortysix wrote: .... First and foremost Tait is a Full back . Period. ....
Totally disagree - his best games for Tigers have all been at 13 where he seems much more comfortable - a good full back but much better centre/wing. He actually seems to have too much time to think at full back.
"First and Foremost Tait is a Full back. Period....."

I'm Proposing this as a candidate for most ridiculous post of 2015.

Tait played OC for England and bar an incorrect TMO decision his break would have led to the try that would probably have won the 2007 RWC.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

To be fair that was 8 years ago and he's not played that position all that much since.

Whilst he's an excellent footballer and can play there if asked - 15 is his primary position.

Anotherpair of extreme examples would be playing Newby or Youngs at centre.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kornboy130 wrote:To be fair that was 8 years ago and he's not played that position all that much since.

Whilst he's an excellent footballer and can play there if asked - 15 is his primary position.

Totally disagree with the examples. Like comparing plums and potatoes.

Forwards playing as backs and vice versa is highly unusual due to the different requirements and training for strength and speed. While Tom could play centre tomorrow and Craig in his time as a forward, their training was geared elsewhere, reducing their effectiveness if played at centre.

Tait spent most of his early career as an OC. It is mostly at Tigers that he has played at FB. Both positions are in the backs and the strength and speed requirements/training are very similar, but with a greater emphasis on kicking and catching at FB.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:To be fair that was 8 years ago and he's not played that position all that much since.

Totally disagree with the examples. Like comparing plums and potatoes.

Forwards playing as backs and vice versa is highly unusual due to the different requirements and training for strength and speed. While Tom could play centre tomorrow and Craig in his time as a forward, their training was geared elsewhere, reducing their effectiveness if played at centre.

Tait spent most of his early career as an OC. It is mostly at Tigers that he has played at FB. Both positions are in the backs and the strength and speed requirements/training are very similar, but with a greater emphasis on kicking and catching at FB.
Thanks -saved me having to respond. From Wiki:

After an injury-ridden start to the 2008-09 Guinness Premiership season, Tait began to play at his preferred position of outside centre and put in performances that ensured he was selected for England for the tests against Argentina and Barbarians.

In July 2009 Tait was selected in Martin Johnson's 32-man elite squad for the second year, and was also selected for England's opening game against Wales in the 2010 Six Nations, again under Johnson's management, starting at outside centre.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

kornboy130 wrote:Anotherpair of extreme examples would be playing Newby or Youngs at centre.
Thought Newby did a pretty good job at centre against the Ospreys...... :smt002 :smt003
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

From 2006 - 2008 very few were quicker than tait over 100m and even less were quicker over 30m.
He played OC, FB and wing for england during these years. There used to be huge debates over his best position, J.Guscott was screaming for him to be played out wide due to his relatively slight frame and incredible pace,despite his own preference for OC

Unfortunately though injuries have robbed him of that pace which is a massive shame when you look at the likes of Stettle and Brown who are older than tait but seem to have got quicker in recent years.

The average size of 12's and 13's has increased massively since then which has made it more difficult for Cockers to give him a consistent run at the at position.
Just the other week against Bath I thought he'd be played at 13, and i reckon Bath also thought the same which is why they switched m.Banahan to 13

anyway, from where ever he plays, he needs to add some tries to his game and show some attacking game from years gone by or he will be used less and less with the younger generation comign through.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think its worth mentioning that I don't think Veainu is quite commanding enough in the air when contesting a high ball. We've lost a fair bit of territory from the aerial battle. Tait is much more reliable in the air.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Darc Tiger wrote:I think its worth mentioning that I don't think Veainu is quite commanding enough in the air when contesting a high ball. We've lost a fair bit of territory from the aerial battle. Tait is much more reliable in the air.
Agreed, I do worry when a high ball goes up- we struggle to compete wherever it lands at times. Need that Geordie-esque ability to pluck them out of the air and we do miss this
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

vin rouge wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:I think its worth mentioning that I don't think Veainu is quite commanding enough in the air when contesting a high ball. We've lost a fair bit of territory from the aerial battle. Tait is much more reliable in the air.
Agreed, I do worry when a high ball goes up- we struggle to compete wherever it lands at times. Need that Geordie-esque ability to pluck them out of the air and we do miss this
Imho Morris is better in the air than Tait.
Both comparable with ball in hand and kicking from hand.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Haven't seen a chase back like that since Ezulike! Breath-taking. Better than a try.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Big Dai wrote:Haven't seen a chase back like that since Ezulike! Breath-taking. Better than a try.
Still say that, comparatively speaking - player positions/build etc, Steve Mafi's chase and tap tackle against Northampton a few season's ago (was it Tom May he chased down? definitely a back) edges it. Although, in context of importance of the match, this was a European game (Mafi's was in a LV Cup or League game) and though I don't agree with pundits galore that Munster would definitely have gone on to win had they scored that effort, it was a massive point in the game. So, maybe it was better......arrrrrrgggghh

They were both great moments!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Big Dai wrote:Better than a try.
+1, in fact they were my exact words as Garces' whistle blew and he awarded the penalty.
Will live long in the memory.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man