Team for Boxing Day

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Boxing Day

Post by GS »

Just to get away from this love fest for a minute, I think it would be foolish to be complacent about any game nowadays. OK most teams at the bottom end of the league might look like a good 5 points at WR, but they can also be banana skins.

That said there are players who do need game time and we are in a good position here as we do have a good squad that can cope with a bit of rotation that will be necessary as the season goes on. Whilst JDV is a mouthwatering prospect I'm not getting excited about Manu returning until I see him on the pitch ready to receive/chase the first kick off (and staying on afterwards).

I'm hoping that Burns and Veainu were both 'only' suffering from cramp at the end and that Burns will be there on Boxing Day. There are some players that could be put into cotton wool ready for the next 2 games and some given a rest. Cole looked a bit too tetchy, but that could just be a lot of needle from their LH. The breakdowns seemed much more democratic with more than one player, O'Connor, being effective so perhaps rest/put him in cotton wool. Swap Youngs and Harrison. If Tait's fit rest Veainu, but he certainly didn't look at all jaded yesterday :smt002 . A run out for some of our pool of locks might be a good idea too. But all this without risking the result and preferably, but never certain, 5 points.

What would we have given for these problems this time last year?
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote:So who needs a rest, who needs some airtime?
Thought Balmain held his hand up tonight, Ed, Fred need the time on the park, Crofty, give McCaffery and BOC a rest!

Mulipola/Aguero
Thacker/Bateman
Balmain
Slater
Barrow
Croft
Owens
Pearce

Sam
Fred

Catchpole
Bai
Betham
Veainu
Tait

Bench full of returnees?
If both fit, wee need to get JDV & Manu playing together before the start of the big games, give them some game time together, but again if both fit.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Although the importance of getting 5 points cannot be stressed more clearly, I still think it's an opportunity for Copckers to rest some of our stars if only to the bench and to give our outstanding young talent like, Bell, Catchpole, Balmain and Thacker to name but 4 a chance to shine and if Manu's ready to give him match practice before the hard games against Saracens and the Saints. So my team would be:

Veianu, Thompstone, Tuilagi, Catchpole, Goneva, Bell, Harrison.

The other Argentine fellow not Ayerza, Thacker, Balmain, Slater, Fitzgerald or Barrow, Croft, O'Connor and McCaffrey.

Subs: Ayerza, Geraldini, Cole, Barrow or Fitzgerald, Crane.

Burns, Bai, and Tait.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

As this will probably be my last post before Christmas, may I take this opportunity to wish Merry Christmas to all the moderators and posters on this site and yes Bill (2) W that means you too.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Noddy555 wrote:As this will probably be my last post before Christmas, may I take this opportunity to wish Merry Christmas to all the moderators and posters on this site and yes Bill (2) W that means you too.
Happy Easter Noddy
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thinking again might go with:

Ayerza,
Thacker/Youngs
Balmain
Barrow
Slater
Croft
O'Connor
Crane
Harrison
Burns
Betham
JDV
Smith
Morris (if fit)/Camacho
Tait (if fit)/Morris/Bell

Youngs
Aguero
/Tiz
De Chaves
Fonua/Pearce
Youngs
Bell/Bai
Manu/Camacho/Catchpole

Assuming Bateman, Leo, etc are still a bit of fitness
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I'd like to see as much rotation as possible vs. Falcons before targetting wins vs. Sarries and Saints- there can then be some rotation for Treviso which should keep the squad relatively fresh! Hard to pick a side with uncertainty over injuries etc. but I'd go for:

Aguero, Thacker, Balmain
De Chaves, Barrow,
Slater (C), Fonua (if not fit Crane), Croft
Harrison, Burns
De Villers, Manu (if one is injured then Smith comes in, if both are injured then Bai + Smith IMO- would like to see Betham on the wing!)
Betham, Tait, Camacho

Youngs, Ayerza/ Logo, Cole/ Logo (Logo covering TH or LH depending where Cockers sees him playing in the near future), Fitzgerald, Crane/ O'Connor, Youngs, Williams/ Bell, Veainu

IMO that 23 should be enough to get the TBP vs Falcons... I would not be surprised however to see our strongest possible side play vs. Falcons before sending a much rotated side to Sarries (as we did a couple of years ago over Christmas I think) but I think the strongest side vs. Sarries at Allianz would be a cracking game and good preperation for Saints at home and the return to Europe!

Either way 3 wins over the next 3 weeks would be brilliant, if not 10 points has to be the minimum target :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

We can beat Newcastle at home on Boxing day in front of a capacity crowd, with a mix and match team. We will get absolutely stuffed by Sarries at Allianz Park unless we send out our best available 15.
We do not want another stuffing at Allianz!!

O'Connor, Fitz, Cole, OTY, McCaffrey and Ayerza must be rested in my opinion. Slater, Kitchener, Croft, Crane, Barrow etc will all be fine as they've played much less rugby.

The backs don't take the battering of the forwards and they will be fine, but might be a game to start Kitto over YBY, especially As Harrison is playing for the A Team tonight and Kitto is not even in the 23.

I'm really looking forward to the game and reckon JDV will start, wish I was so confident about Manu! Burns looked really fed up when he came off yesterday, I'd be surprised if he was fit, but hope I'm wrong.
Soggypitch
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Apparently Manu & JDV will not be fit for boxing day-
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:As this will probably be my last post before Christmas, may I take this opportunity to wish Merry Christmas to all the moderators and posters on this site and yes Bill (2) W that means you too.
Happy Easter Noddy
:smt023
doogie

Post by doogie »

No surprises about Manu & JdV not being available.

Just a thought, but would we be better off to rest Manu now until at least the 6N's start (assuming he would be fit for then of course) as if he plays beforehand, it's likely England will snap him up and probably break him again.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I do love the idea of discussing the best team for 26th - and thinking back many years to when our club had Boxing Day fixtures and the selection was any 15 who actually turned up capable of playing! Ah, happy memories.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Kitchener only played half an hour at the weekend, provided he has recovered I'd have him in the team to organise the line out. Hooker is a concern, I'd worry if Thacker started.

Smith really looked drained, and certainly deserves a weekend off if possible.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

vin rouge wrote:Apparently Manu & JDV will not be fit for boxing day-
Just a dissapointing example of Tigers smoke and mirrors. :smt012 Why do Tigers not just keep stoom and we will all get a nice surprise on matchday instead of the tease.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I spoke to them both on Sunday at the match - JDV said he would be close to Boxing day but maybe not quite ready and Manu said he hoped for Boxing Day but most likely the week after...
Less is more....