Tigers chants & songs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Reggie
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers chants & songs

Post by Reggie »

Hearing a packed Welford Road chanting 'Tigers' and hearing it echo round the ground has got be be far better than any wendyball type chants and songs. Surely it's about the volume and passion not some trite ditty.
Football fans sing to divert themselves from the tedium of the game.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^+1
Valhalla I am coming!
Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Well said Reggie.

It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when the "Tigers! Tigers!" chant goes up when either we're camped within the opposition's 5m line or we're defending our try line.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Reggie wrote:Hearing a packed Welford Road chanting 'Tigers' and hearing it echo round the ground has got be be far better than any wendyball type chants and songs. Surely it's about the volume and passion not some trite ditty.
This is a very valid point..however I still think a chant never compares to a song..

I think we should do the Veainu song if anything just to get him to stay :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Forgive me for saying what to me, as an ex music teacher, is obvious. To start "teaching" any large group of people "a song" they don't know or have not sung before, you need a group of people who know the song!

Best way is to do what they did in Munster and have an amplified choir to lead it and I don't mean a well meaning group of fans going out on the the field and doing what they did a few years ago. They were simply laughed at as there were no real "singers" in it.

There must be a proper local choir with proper accompaniment who could be asked to come and perform their songs and sometime during the performance include songs with a chorus and ask the crowd to join in. May need to do this 2 or 3 times and then see what happens.

I would suggest the Loughborough Male voice choir might be a starting point - http://loughboroughmvc.co.uk/ or the Leicester Amika choir - http://www.amika.org.uk/. I am sure that if an invite from the club went out to any of the local choirs they would come and entertain us before a match or/and during half time in exchange for free tickets to the match. The important thing would be sound quality and correct amplification.
Hehehehehehehehe
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

trendylfj wrote:Forgive me for saying what to me, as an ex music teacher, is obvious. To start "teaching" any large group of people "a song" they don't know or have not sung before, you need a group of people who know the song!

Best way is to do what they did in Munster and have an amplified choir to lead it and I don't mean a well meaning group of fans going out on the the field and doing what they did a few years ago. They were simply laughed at as there were no real "singers" in it.

There must be a proper local choir with proper accompaniment who could be asked to come and perform their songs and sometime during the performance include songs with a chorus and ask the crowd to join in. May need to do this 2 or 3 times and then see what happens.

I would suggest the Loughborough Male voice choir might be a starting point - http://loughboroughmvc.co.uk/ or the Leicester Amika choir - http://www.amika.org.uk/. I am sure that if an invite from the club went out to any of the local choirs they would come and entertain us before a match or/and during half time in exchange for free tickets to the match. The important thing would be sound quality and correct amplification.
You are getting a bit ahead of us we surely need a song first :smt003
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We have needed a song for years. The nearest we got was the crowd (tartan blankets and all) chanting Deeeanooh, the trouble with a player specific song or chant is that the player finishes. Saints have the only long term song, Quin's pinched there little ditty from Sheffield Wednesday who had a player called Quinn when the song was a hit in the 60's.
The real club songs are arrived at spontaneously and do not need to directly relate to the team or a player, for examples "I'm forever blowing bubbles" (West Ham), "You'll never walk alone" (Liverpool) even "Swing low sweet chariot" was a spontaneous rendition by a Leicestershire group who had spent too long in the Winning Post before a Twickenham international.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

What about Jerusalem lets take that one :smt003

Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spear o clouds unfold
Bring me my chariots of fire
I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In Leicester's green and pleasant land

Job Done :smt023
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Last Sunday Mrs Red Boots gave me a choice - watch Munster V Tigers on the TV starting at 7:45 pm or go to Olton Friary in Solihull for the Solihull Choral Society's Christmas performance with the Eversfield Chamber Choir starting at 7:30 pm. Duty bound we went for the choir, spending 2 hours on hard wooden pews.
It was brilliant.
Watching the recording of the Tigers at midnight was good as well.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Hearing a packed Welford Road chanting 'Tigers' and hearing it echo round the ground has got be be far better than any wendyball type chants and songs. Surely it's about the volume and passion not some trite ditty.
Sorry but I completely DISAGREE. I guess as a sports fan who likes rugby and football I enjoy all elements. Nothing wrong with a single song about a player in either sport and there are some classics out there (witty and a good tune). Of course hearing 'the Tigers roar' is great, but to only have one song is all rather disappointing isn't it? And I thought rugby crowds were supposed to be the better educated….

As for tedium of the game… during re-scrum after re-scrum that seems to happen every other WR game, I'd happily be diverted by a few chants...

JohntheGriff is spot on
We have needed a song for years.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JFJ, and to which branch of the WI do you belong? :smt002
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yeah it's a conundrum but nothing can replace the Tigers Roar when done
properly it puts the fear of god into opposing fans, players and sometimes even me too.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

I've made two suggestions on this topic down the years. Both I believe absolutely made for Tigers the first is pretty obvious:
Eye of the Tiger

The second less obvious but brilliant is Slades
We'll All Pull Together.

If you've never heard it look it up perfect.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

JackFlashJonny wrote:What about Jerusalem lets take that one :smt003

Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spear o clouds unfold
Bring me my chariots of fire
I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In Leicester's green and pleasant land

Job Done :smt023
I cant stand this song.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

After recent matches away to Worcester and Munster added to the forecast for Sunday and as a general protest against evening kick offs I suggest Morecambe and Wise signature tune " Bring me sunshine".