Bonus Points?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Bonus Points?

Post by wardy »

For some time I have been concerned about our lack of bonus points.

It may be early in the season but so far we have a big fat 0. Saints are level with us (tomorrow might change that) after winning only two of five matches but have managed 4!

Last season was much the same - only 6 all season, when teams a lot lower than us attracted as many as 12. We either seem to win by small margins allowing the other side a bonus point, or lose by a wide margin attracting no bonus points.

In what is likely to b a close race for the top 4 places, bonus points can and will be very important.

Maybe Mauger's more attacking outlook will help change things by the end of the season but I would hate to see us loose out on the chance of some silverware purely due to a lack of bonus points.
Give blood, play rugby!!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Bonus Points?

Post by fentiger »

Conversely just a few seasons ago our bonus point tally aided us immensely, in the words of a certain forum member..... keep the faith :smt023 :smt023
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

fentiger wrote:Conversely just a few seasons ago our bonus point tally aided us immensely, in the words of a certain forum member..... keep the faith :smt023 :smt023
Just so!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'd rather win without a BP than lose with one. I'll take out 3 from 4 over Saints' 2 from 5. BPs are all very well, but at the business end of the season what matters is being in the top 4 and being able to win a match when it matters - something we've also been historically quite good at.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Hot_Charlie wrote:I'd rather win without a BP than lose with one. I'll take out 3 from 4 over Saints' 2 from 5. BPs are all very well, but at the business end of the season what matters is being in the top 4 and being able to win a match when it matters - something we've also been historically quite good at.
Also if level on points then number of wins counts so it is better to ensure a win first and foremost.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Apart from Exeter away where should we have picked up bonus points? Not many teams will put 4 tries past Quins or Wasps this year and London Irish was the first competitive game of the season with a load of new players and new management.

We are winning games and playing well, give it time and the bonus point wins will come.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We secured two bonus points in Europe. We'll get some domestically but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Remember one of Saints bonus points was a losing bonus point away to Worcester...
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Yes, to be fair three of Saints bonus points have come from their defeats, and only one from a win against Falcons, where I hope we too might get a bonus point.

It does concern me a little that the teams ahead of us are amassing more bonus points, but I think we will grow into this season and start picking up TBP. If we think about the doom and gloom that has hung over us at this point of the season in the last couple of years it feels quite a nice worry to have!

A win today and 4 points will keep us where we want to be. Exeter will fade as the season goes on, we'll do better than Quins and finish 2nd in the table!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think that's a little harsh on Exeter to suggest they will fade away.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

I'm not too sure... Although Exeter are undoubtedly a good team, they were not in the Champions Cup last season; this year they have got the condensed season, and the small matter of back-to-back games against Clermont to deal with.

I appreciate that they have bolstered their squad, but will it have been enough? (and will, for example, Parling manage to stay fit - hopefully IMO!)

The season suddenly looks a lot more brutal when you increase it by (at least) 6 games, especially given the standard of opposition that you will be playing against.

That being said, I wish Exeter all the best - it would be nice to have another team in the playoffs this year (as long as it is not at our expense!)
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

So, any complaint about no TBP today? Taking into account that our mighty opposition left WR without a LBP, I reckon that was as good as a BP win in those conditions.

Perspective.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Depriving Bath of a point may be more important!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote:Depriving Bath of a point may be more important!
No doubt about that.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Bath deprived Bath of a bonus point :smt003

I woke up in a cold sweat, seeing the England #10 kicking for the corner instead of an almost certain 3 points to get the LBP, re-living the horrific nightmare.

Then I realized I was on the terrace; the eejit was wearing blue and white this time; I cheered loudly when they cocked the lineout up :smt002
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

sam16111986 wrote:Rome wasn't built in a day...
presumably because they used the same contractors that we are using on the new stand!