Manu to sign for ???????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Blabyboy

Manu to sign for ???????

Post by Blabyboy »

Basically any team who his agent thinks are cash rich, and therefore any link will enhance his value to tigers????
Maybe I am getting old and cynical but all this stinks of football, agents and hair gel.
To be clear, my position as a tigers fan is that, option 1 is a new contract for a fit Manu.
But let's be realistic, he hasn't played for over a year through injury. And it's not his first spell on the side lines. Yet every week he is linked to Europes top clubs, this week it's wasps and Worcester for example. I think his management team are doing a wonderful job inflating his perceived value. However I am a realist and as previously stated, a cynic. He should think himself very lucky to have a contract with a club that has a history of standing by long term injured players. Ask Tate or croft, ask Geordan about his injuries. Manu has access to wonderful facilities, medics and coaches.
Ask yourself a question, if Manu signed for Toulon. How bothered would you be? I still prefer option 1. But I hope our beautiful game will not be held to ransom by football type agents and wealth hungry players. If that's the choice then, sorry, bye bye.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to sign for ???????

Post by fentiger »

+1 :smt023
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

My quandary is, if he signs for another club, do Tigers put the time, effort and resources into getting him fully fit to then leave for that club? I'd be tempted to give him garden leave and say sort yourself out, we've managed so far without you, we can carry on doing that. But show us loyalty and we'll get you better than before.

Cynical and a tad bitter I know, but it's there.
Your thoughts please.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Lets not get into a blame game without the facts, this may not have anything to do with Manu, or Freddie, it could be news talk or clubs causing mischief.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IF Manu was to leave I expect Tigers to do what they normally do.

IF he is the best player available by some distance play him, If it is close between him and another player then play the other player.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

With his injury problems does anybody really blame him for trying to get himself the biggest possible contract while he can?

Though if he truly wants to improve as a player he ought to stay put. He will learn off Mauger and De Villiers this season and flourish playing outside Toomua next season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Iain wrote:With his injury problems does anybody really blame him for trying to get himself the biggest possible contract while he can?

Though if he truly wants to improve as a player he ought to stay put. He will learn off Mauger and De Villiers this season and flourish playing outside Toomua next season.
No I don't think anyone would blame him.

But at the same time the club has stood by him during the injury issues so if the offers are not to far apart from each other I would hope he would pick us.

It won't be like he is on £30k a year.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

RagingBull wrote:
Iain wrote:With his injury problems does anybody really blame him for trying to get himself the biggest possible contract while he can?

No I don't think anyone would blame him.

But at the same time the club has stood by him during the injury issues so if the offers are not to far apart from each other I would hope he would pick us.

It won't be like he is on £30k a year.
If there's not much in it I'm convinced he'll stay. But I don't blame him for negotiating himself the highest salary available.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

I don't blame him or his agent- it's a short career and he needs to look after himself. Yes I'd love to see loyalty but I think posters here are right and that is disappearing. money talks.

if he stays brilliant. if he goes I'll be gutted but we'll have a shed load of salary cap to spend on a quality replacement.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't agree that these decisions purely come down to money - certainly they shouldn't. Even in my mercenary profession as an IT contractor there are other things to consider... bigger career picture, home life, team mates, success of the organisation, etc. If you work for someone who treats you well, runs a tight ship, is successful, enables you to have a good home life, etc you wouldn't work for buttons but you may work for less than you can get elsewhere.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

ourla wrote:I don't agree that these decisions purely come down to money - certainly they shouldn't. Even in my mercenary profession as an IT contractor there are other things to consider... bigger career picture, home life, team mates, success of the organisation, etc. If you work for someone who treats you well, runs a tight ship, is successful, enables you to have a good home life, etc you wouldn't work for buttons but you may work for less than you can get elsewhere.
But your IT guys don't have Uncle Freddie sorting them out !
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'd always assumed Manu would leave us for one of the French big boys, not Worcester! If they have half a mill to pay a player who will manage a third of a season at best fair play to them, I'll wave him goodbye with genuine thanks for the memories. My concern is that we don't have much in the way of academy graduates ready to step up and fill his enormous shoes.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I'm just surprised at the two clubs who have come in for Manu.

Worcs - can't imagine he would be happy not playing in the Champions Cup. Not a top team and for an outside centre he could spend more time defending rather than attacking. Can't think this is a genuine option for Manu.

Wasps - they have Daly at 13. Doubt they would move Daly into the back three as they are on fire so I'm guessing Manu would play 12. Manu has always stated a preference for the 13 shirt.

I'm looking through the Prem teams and the only destinations that make sense to me (a team challenging for honours, has the financial resources and who need a quality 13) are Tigers and Saracens.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Dai Young was on the Beeb yesterday saying that any rumours linking Manu with Wasps are "absolute rubbish".

Smoke and mirrors?

I'd like him to stay.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... er-rubbish

Do they protest too much (cover your ar*e time) or is this putting paid to rumours?