European final LYON - travel arrangements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

European final LYON - travel arrangements

Post by APJones »

Lyon It doesn't look like there is a return Eurostar train on the Sunday. Getting there on the Saturday looks fine and not too expensiv. One can arrive by 14:00 for a 17:00 kick off . Similar timing by Ryanair but the return flight on the sunday is almost 3 x more expensive than getting there on the Saturday. Any other air flight co. is too expensive Any Ideas anybody ? Hire a coach ? Cos TIGERS are sure to get there :smt026
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: European final LYON - travel arrangements

Post by Iain »

Is there still an Easyjet flight from Stansted? That's the way I've gone to Lyon in the past.
killer938
Tiger Cub

Post by killer938 »

The only tickets you will be able to see at the moment for the Eurostar are the direct trains which in May only run on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays. This is because the TGV train tickets only come out 3 months in advance of the dates in question so if you look in February you will be able to get a return journey via the Eurostar website but the journey will be a TGV to Paris or Lille and then the Eurostar from there. Would recommend doing it via Lille as it means you only have to change platforms and not stations as you do in Paris.

I much prefer doing it this way rather than taking a plane for a couple of reasons. One is that it is far more relaxing in my opinion, you only have to turn up for the train just before it leaves Lyon and not an hour or so before as you do with the plane. The waiting time in Lille is pretty minimal once you have got through passport control. You also go from city centre to city centre so no need for airport expresses. Secondly, there are no extra costs. If you take the plane then you have to take into account the Rhone Express on this side to get into the city (about €26) and also the Stanstead/Gatwick Express the other side, or parking if you have driven. These, added to the plane tickets, mean it is often quite a lot more expensive than the train if you book the train in advance and that is without having to check any luggage in which is obviously free on the train.
whyorange

Post by whyorange »

Good tip re Lille instead of Paris, I have been in touch with Eurostar and they did not tell me that...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I find this site really useful for booking trains in Europe: http://www.seat61.com/
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Hotel and Final tickets booked - just waiting for the travel arrangements now
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
gamebird

Post by gamebird »

I have done the trip from Oakham via Peterborough Eurostar to Lille and TVG to Lyon. It was so easy I would recommend using the route
whyorange

Post by whyorange »

I have also booked my hotel, and tickets for both games (challenge cup the day before).

Spoken to Eurostar, and the Lille route is about £15 more expensive, but definitely less hassle