Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retirement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hiron
Tiger Cub

Ickle Wichie says bye-bye

Post by Hiron »

Last edited by Hiron on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramps

Re: Who's going to be the ABs head cheat now?

Post by Gramps »

Or we could just celebrate one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. As to who replaces him, obviously Sam Kane is the the front runner but I really rate Julian Suvea's little brother Arne. Kieren Reid will be the next skipper.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Bit of a mean spirited thread title. One of the greatest players ever, comes across as a really nice bloke, 148 caps for the AB's. I for one am a little sad we will never see him playing again. I like the way he has resisted the lure of a fat payday and gone out on a high
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

northerntiger wrote:Bit of a mean spirited thread title. One of the greatest players ever, comes across as a really nice bloke, 148 caps for the AB's. I for one am a little sad we will never see him playing again. I like the way he has resisted the lure of a fat payday and gone out on a high
Agree wholeheartedly, took the game to the limit of the rules but that is the game! Incredible level of skill to compete at that level for so long and also have a long sabbatical to keep fresh, 148 caps is amazing!

Would your title be so harsh if England had the same level of consistency of success as the All Blacks and we had a "McCaw" playing for us, after all on many message boards Tigers are known as the Cheeters for pushing the envelope (my view is this is somewhat historical, perhaps that's why we haven't won much over last 2/3 years?).

The title of this thread shows a narrow mindedness in understanding what is required to be successful
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

I agree with Northern Tiger. Wouldn't we love him in our team? :smt026
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

grobyman wrote:
northerntiger wrote:Bit of a mean spirited thread title. One of the greatest players ever, comes across as a really nice bloke, 148 caps for the AB's. I for one am a little sad we will never see him playing again. I like the way he has resisted the lure of a fat payday and gone out on a high
Agree wholeheartedly, took the game to the limit of the rules but that is the game! Incredible level of skill to compete at that level for so long and also have a long sabbatical to keep fresh, 148 caps is amazing!

Would your title be so harsh if England had the same level of consistency of success as the All Blacks and we had a "McCaw" playing for us, after all on many message boards Tigers are known as the Cheaters for pushing the envelope (my view is this is somewhat historical, perhaps that's why we haven't won much over last 2/3 years?).

The title of this thread shows a narrow mindedness in understanding what is required to be successful
Plus one. Would be my first name on my team sheet !! :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Gramps wrote:Or we could just celebrate one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. As to who replaces him, obviously Sam Kane is the the front runner but I really rate Julian Suvea's little brother Arne. Kieren Reid will be the next skipper.
Completely agree :smt023

Plus I don't know if that is a freudian slip but its Ardie Savea not Arne :smt003 ..Looks a talent does he though! A flanker with some top end Savea family pace!
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

One of, if not the greatest players ever to play the game. The people who cry cheat from the stands do so outof jealousy.

Huge respect to the man, and I hope he enjoys his well-earned retirement.
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Thank you JFJ Have never been totally sure on his first name and was going on what I thought the new Zealand commentator said. Ardie it is
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Hiron wrote:From the BBC.
That REALLY is a sad statement, did we call Neil Back a cheat back in 2002?, blame the refs for not picking it up.

Plus I would absolutely love it if he came to us.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

If you're not being pinged in that position you're not doing your job as you need to be playing 'on the edge' of legality. Simply a wonderful player; just a pity he was plying for the opposition. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

refuse to give an opinion in this thread other than to say it is ridiculous title!
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retirement

Post by trendylfj »

Best wishes RM in your well earned retirement and if you ever want to land your helicopter anywhere in Leicestershire I hope it will be on WR car park when you come to watch a game - you will be welcomed where ever you go.
Hehehehehehehehe
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retiremen

Post by Maidman »

A tremendous player, who has achieved a tremendous amount, and given a huge amount of pleasure to rugby fans everywhere. I hope he continues to sprinkle a little of his magic on the game whatever he goes on to do.

All the very best to him - and thank you!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retiremen

Post by Noddy555 »

I had the pleasure of meeting Richie twice in his career and a nicer gentleman you couldn't wish to meet but on the field he was a veritable tiger and most definitely for a number of years the best player at a breakdown, when he stood bent over the opposition trying to get the ball from a perfectly legal position, sometimes it needed an earthquake to move him.