Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retirement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who's going to be the ABs head cheat now?

Post by tigercaspian »

The title of this thread is at least consistent with all the moaning that has gone on about the man for years on this forum. I am therefore a bit surprised to see so many now willing to pat him on the back when previously he was clearly, according to the posts I read, a person who consistently broke the rules and had no father!
I quite agree that if you don't condemn the Hand of Back, you can't condemn McCaw.
Whiff of double standards hereabouts, me thinks.
Personally, if the man has played the game at the highest standard for so long, captained the ABs for so long & got two RWC trophies in his cabinet, he's probably pretty good and should be talked about in those terms on Trendy's thread
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

This post is entirely facile. McCaw was/is a professional rugby player who played the game according to the rules, if he appeared to be cheating then often as not that meant there was a flaw in the rules.
To say that he continually cheated is wrong and slanderous, perhaps the person who posted this on the BBC website was a rugby player who suffered at the hands of the all blacks and the post was made through petty mindedness. The Man was a genius and an inspiration to any youngster taking up the game.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Richie MacCaw - a legend and gentleman - happy retiremen

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

This is much more appropriate than the other thread. However, I'm sure McCaw would be delighted with the ascription 'head cheat' - successfully pushing at the margins of the laws so much so that he got under the skin of the opposition. The mark of a great 7.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As someone who hasn't had his sense of humour removed, I'd say Kane, quite sure the man himself would just laugh at the thread title, some folk are a tad too precious.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Wish him well, is he likely to be a tv pundit as well as a tour round the world as a guest speaker?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hiron
Tiger Cub

Post by Hiron »

tigerburnie wrote:As someone who hasn't had his sense of humour removed, I'd say Kane, quite sure the man himself would just laugh at the thread title, some folk are a tad too precious.
My sentiments exactly and that's how it was meant. Going by some of the previous reactions, you'd think it was Richie McCaw who had just died and not Jonah Lomu.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Changed the way rugby is played, fierce as a lion, a humble man who would never let you down. Thanks Richie for all you have done.

Happy (busy) retirement. :smt023
Valhalla I am coming!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ickle Wichie says bye-bye

Post by tigercaspian »

Hiron has his opinion & he's entitled to it

Here's a reminder that he wasn't the only one for those with short memories:

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... ilit=McCaw
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ickle Wichie says bye-bye

Post by Cagey Tiger »

While I cast no aspersions as to what he is like off the field, with regards to the original thread title, as someone I worked with used to say "cruel, but essentially true".
Blabyboy

Post by Blabyboy »

This post is ridiculous. Of coarse he is a cheat. That is your job as a 7. If you play 7 and you are not offside most of the time or if you are not off your feet at a ruck or your not slowing the ball or putting your hands where they shouldn't be, then you are not much of a 7. You might as well play in the second row.
The mark of a good 7 is that all other teams, players, and fans hate you. They will all lambast you and derive you, if this happens then congratulations, you are a 7.
So well done Richie. You are a cheat and I only wish you were our cheat.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Interesting that he is going to be a pilot. I understand that you get into a helicopter from the side. :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.